RSW 12 failed, weird symptom

paulfras

First, I am a complete neophyte and probably don't even deserve to be on this website.... but I have an RSW 12 (about ten years old) that played great until I sold my house and moved the amp 86 miles (carefully) in my SUV to new house and now when I turn on the power the back cone (neophyte remember) clicks/pounds away like a heartbeat.  and it wont play (when I connect the Line in from my receiver/amp I don't get any play from it, it just keeps on heartbeating). Anyone got any ideas?  I am not inclined to ship it off for repair unless I know there is a definite and affordable repair to be done.....    Seems like probably a short?

I appreciate any input.

Thank you

First, I am a complete neophyte and probably don't even deserve to be on this website.... but I have an RSW 12 (about ten years old) that played great until I sold my house and moved the amp 86 miles (carefully) in my SUV to new house and now when I turn on the power the back cone (neophyte remember) clicks/pounds away like a heartbeat.

Welcome to the forum, Paul.  Come for the information, stay for the entertainment.  B)

+++

I haven't heard that exact symptom you've described so that's a new one to me.  I'd like to think about it a little more.

You said you moved the "amp."  The RSW 12 has a plate amp so maybe you could clarify a bit what you mean. 

Going by the initial "click click click" sound it sounds like something major has come apart on the driver itself.  Are you comfortable removing the driver to physically check to see if it's moving properly?

Edited by wvu80

Did you accidently move one of the knobs on the back? Did you accidentally operate the toggle switch on the back? Did you accidentally move the volume control down all the way? Are you using the same system cable for the hookup? Is the cable plugged into the output instead of the input by mistake? Does the small green light come on in the front?

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

Thanks for the input guys.  When I said I moved the amp I meant I moved the subwoofer from one house to another in the back of my SUV.   86 mile commute.   

I have checked in and out lines, connections, volume setting, lowpass setting, etc.   I hooked up another subwoofer to my receiver with the same cable and it worked fine so I have isolated it to the subwoofer itself.  

I have not tried to open the RSW 12 up but given that it seems destined for the landfill otherwise I am probably going to 

I am better at landscaping than electronic repair though.....

I am probably going to buy a replacement, any recommendations.  It is paired with some pretty beefy B&W fronts and center. I forget the models and Im 2000 miles away this week

Thanks for your help.

Replacement options depend on your budget really, but there are many favourable reviews on the Klipsch r-115sw. Also hope the rsw-12 doesn't actually end up in a landfill, I'm sure there are more than a few of us that would take it or the parts off your hands.

Paul. All are welcome. It's all about the music and our collective love thereof. Technical knowledge is not required to be a member. Virtually all members are very helpful with whatever knowledge they can provide to help one another further their enjoyment of music and Klipsch.

I agree wirh the above comments. Might just be a loose wire. Busted solder connection. Etc as the experts above have stated.

A call to Klipsch tech support should help. Others have probably encountered similar or even the same issue.

Often a nearby member will take a look at things for other members.

Good luck and welcome to the Land of Klipsch

Hi everyone

thanks for the input.   The subwoofer is located in Morgan VT.  Far from anywhere.....    But I can play loud music without bothering anyone.....  it just has no base right now.  haha

I do drive to Boston regularly to fly out of Logan if anyone has any suggestions for a repair option along the I93 from northern VT/NH

I am going to dissect the sub today and see what I find. But I am far from electro mechanically inclined.....

Paul, I have several Infinity subs that developed the same issue from a simple move. Not sure what the deal is but they do a heartbeat muffled thumping when they are turned on after the move. I have seen something posted a while back on Youtube in regards to the issue but honestly I don't remember where or what the end result for a fix was. Infinity I guess what pretty well known for this thumping issue but this is a first for a sub from Klipsch that I know of.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t392336-subwoofer_thumping_w_no_audio_feed

There are a lot of these threads if you Google them. Some people think it is a ground loop problem but even after I ran a new ground wire the problem persisted with mine.

Edited by teaman

• 6 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, uscswimming said:

I just bought a hardly used RSW12 and it has this exact issue.   Did anybody ever find a resolution?   I have had another RSW12 for 20 years that I have never had a problem with.   

Welcome to the Forum. 

The thread you want is here: 

Ngen is top notch at explaining the common problems, and he has a series of Youtube videos where he shows how to handle the common repairs. 

I don't have the tech skills to handle them, but it may be an easy fix for you. He was also repairing the amps for a time, not sure what the status of that is these days. 

Hope this helps,

Travis

P.S. You are not John Naber or one of the Furniss bros are you? What a small world it would be. 

• Like 1