First Hand Comparison Listening Impressions between the RB-5 and RB81 Bookshelf Speakers

edzu1234

Does anyone have First Hand Comparison Listening Impressions between the RB-5 and RB81 Bookshelf Speakers?  Thanks for your input in advance!

Not exactly but do have experience with the RB-5's and RB-35's, which the RB-81 was a direct replacement.

Bill

I've had both but not at the same time. I did compare the 81's to the 75's though. I like the 5's and the beautiful wood veneers they come with but the rear port can be problematic in certain situations. The 81's are fine speakers with a front port but with cheap vinyl wrap finish. My nephew still has my old 35's with a rw-10d sub and he loves that set up. IMO the biggest difference between the 5's, 35's and the 81's is the port placement and finish. I don't feel that one sounds significantly better than the other.

• Like 1

I'm heading down for a session with RB75's right now. Wile they certainly don't match the authority of the Fastlane topped KHorns sitting beside them, with a proper and Musical subwoofer the 75's are very satisfying and I enjoy them a bunch. Without a doubt my favorite dollar spent vs. performance speaker I've owned. (Thanks Z)