Suggestions regarding police interactions

DizRotus

I wonder if that guy in Minneapolis would still be alive today if he didn't have a gun. After all, they just got stopped because their taillight was out.

{Note: a lot of unanswered questions in that event, but...} 

They supposedly got stopped because the cop thought they looked an awful lot like a couple that was involved in an armed robbery recently.  They only used the busted tail light as an excuse.  Not sure how the cop could recognize somebody in the passenger seat, riding down the road in the opposite direction, from a grainy black and white surveillance video, with the suspects in disguise, but yeah the guy was black and had big hair.  Was that really enough to justify what happened?  Probably not.  

Was that really enough to justify what happened? Probably not.

Thanks for sharing some more facts that I wasn't aware of, but even if the dude did commit the crime (which I gather he didn't) he wouldn't have been shot if the cop didn't see the gun.  Again, this case hinges on what happened before the cell phone video was taken but after the fact it doesn't look good for the police officer.

Here is my biggest concern with what happened in Minnesota.  That state is NOT a “must-notify” state for concealed carry permit holders.  That means Philando Castile had NO DUTY to inform the police that he was carrying a gun.  It is typically considered a nice and safe thing to do for the police if you notify them voluntarily, which he was apparently attempting to do, yet got killed upon doing so.  That’s scary.  He probably would have been alive had he just kept his mouth shut and he had every right to do so.  Such things do not make other people want to voluntarily notify. 

Furthermore, he was in the passenger seat.  He does not have a duty to produce identification in that situation.  The driver does, sure, but not passengers.  You can’t just pull somebody over for no good reason then demand identification for everyone in the car any more than you can find somebody walking down the road and do the same for no reason.  Of course if he really was a suspect in an armed robbery and the police are detaining you, that’s another story, but given the situation, most likely he had every right to just sit there and refuse to show identification. 

So, there’s a good chance that he is dead because he didn’t know his rights.  

he wouldn't have been shot if the cop didn't see the gun.

I'm not sure the cop ever saw the gun.  When asked for identification, Philando notified him that he was a CCDW holder and he had a weapon on him.  The mistake was that he was saying this as he was trying to fish out his wallet, which he was instructed to do.  The cop took it as this guy is trying to draw his gun and started screaming to not go for it.  Philando didn't stop as quickly as the cop wanted so he opened fire.  

Furthermore, he was in the passenger seat. He does not have a duty to produce identification in that situation. The driver does, sure, but not passengers.

Now we are getting to the nitty gritty of the matter--My guess is that :"the passenger"  probably was explaining that to the cop, but not in the calm fashion the girlfriend was portraying.

Thanks for sharing some more facts that I wasn't aware of

Another fact that most aren't aware of is that these two people liked to smoke joints with the 4 year old girl in the car.  There's videos of them doing so.  Real good chance that both had been smoking.  If so, there's a real good chance that Philando wasn't thinking clearly and didn't respond to commands as well as he should have due to being confused.  This doesn't fit the mainstream media's agenda though so you're not going to see much about it there, even if true.  This may also explain the strange demeanor of the girl who was more concerned with live streaming his death than being freaked out like any other sane person would be when the person next to them got shot four times.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

The police has to assume that all public are not good and a public stop for any reason could result in death no matter how small the said infraction.

I certainly agree with your statement.  It goes both ways.  We should ask law enforcement to do a better job weeding out the bad apples and stop blaming poor training. Lawyers and the Health professions have boards to weed out bad apples.  When it does not work there are other legal options.  Most of the killings done by police get a pass in the public opinion poll and justice system.  Our justice system in this country is a joke in these matters.  There are far to many cases of police killing citizens to keep supporting police action in a civilized society.

How about:

Don't disregard what the cops tell you to do

Don't rob stores

Don't carry guns illegally 

Don't head up racist ventures

Don't yell about killing cops

Don't assume all people are prejudice because of their skin color

Don't be a thug

Don't think you are entitled

The silliness some people express in these threads make me laugh. Yeah, all of these people shot were upstanding citizens, come on....give your heads a shake

• Like 1

The silliness some people express in these threads make me laugh. Yeah, all of these people shot were upstanding citizens, come on....give your heads a shake

Curious as to what you think Philando did that was deserving of a death sentence.  Everything is mere speculation at this point.  All we know for sure is that the officer who shot him was exasperated and expressed regret.  Just seems odd.  

Curious as to what you think Philando did that was deserving of a death sentence.  Everything is mere speculation at this point.  All we know for sure is that the officer who shot him was exasperated and expressed regret.  Just seems odd.  

If you look at the rest of his post you will see that he was stereotyping and parodying what is said in the media.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/confirmed-philando-castile-was-an-armed-robbery-suspect-false-media-narrative-now-driving-cop-killings/

There are two sides to every story and until anyone knows all of the facts, nobody should jump to conclusions for either side. I don't think anyone should die at the hands of police. White, black, Asian, Hispanic....nobody.

At the same time until you are in the shoes of one of these officers you have no idea what is really going on.

https://www.facebook.com/Support-Police-Officers-1506821589619159/?pnref=story

• Like 1

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/07/philando_castile_s_girlfriend_gives_press_conference_on_wednesday_night.html

"“My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket,” Reynolds said. “As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet he lets the officer know,  ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’ I begin to yell, ‘But he’s licensed to carry.’ ” According to Reynolds, the officer started firing shortly after."

If accurate, that just ain't right.  Best I can tell, this is a laid back guy who was a grade school cafeteria supervisor, in a tiny little rural town in Minnesota.  I mean, come on, this wasn't a thug that was pulled over in east St. Louis.  Just kinda looks like that officer got spooked over not much of anything.  

I also feel that if you are a cop, you should be held to a higher standard. Same goes for doctors, priests, etc. If you are in a position that you gain peoples trust and you betray that trust for your own gain you should be treated very harshly. The same way people are treated harshly with capital punishment for killing a cop, if you are a cop and wrongly kill a person you should face that same penalty.

I am not biased, racist or anything else you are implying Zen, I am a realist. In all cases, wait until all of the facts are in before passing judgement. Thugs, racists, cop haters, race baiters, disrespectful people, etc come in all shapes, colors and races. There are terrible people in every walk of life, and in every race, creed, religion, etc....they are equal opportunity offenders

• Like 1

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/07/philando_castile_s_girlfriend_gives_press_conference_on_wednesday_night.html

"“My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket,” Reynolds said. “As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet he lets the officer know,  ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’ I begin to yell, ‘But he’s licensed to carry.’ ” According to Reynolds, the officer started firing shortly after."

If accurate, that just ain't right.  Best I can tell, this is a laid back guy who was a grade school cafeteria supervisor, in a tiny little rural town in Minnesota.  I mean, come on, this wasn't a thug that was pulled over in east St. Louis.  Just kinda looks like that officer got spooked over not much of anything.  

Remember, this is what his girlfriend says happened. There is no known video until after the shooting already happened. Could be the same as what happened in Ferguson where the eyewitness who first stepped up was Mike Brown's buddy who just watched him strong arm a shop owner. If there is a dash cam video, body camera video (if the cop was wearing one) or something else comes out we may see more of the story. Of course, this may in fact be what happened, a trigger happy cop that killed someone that should not have been shot. More details are coming out daily.

I am not biased, racist or anything else you are implying Zen, I am a realist

I realize you consider yourself a Conservative and I did not imply you were a racist. Again, I think you thinking I did is a conditioned response.  {EDIT: I also blame the media for propaganda taking the place of actual discussion.}

Edited by Zen Traveler

I am not biased, racist or anything else you are implying Zen, I am a realist

I realize you consider yourself a Conservative and I did not imply you were a racist. Again, I think that is a conditioned response.  

Sorry Zen, I should have put "If that was what you were implying"...because obviously I cannot see what you were thinking.

• Like 1

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/confirmed-philando-castile-was-an-armed-robbery-suspect-false-media-narrative-now-driving-cop-killings/

There are two sides to every story and until anyone knows all of the facts, nobody should jump to conclusions for either side. I don't think anyone should die at the hands of police. White, black, Asian, Hispanic....nobody.

At the same time until you are in the shoes of one of these officers you have no idea what is really going on.

https://www.facebook.com/Support-Police-Officers-1506821589619159/?pnref=story

Not only to be in their shoes but in this day and age when everyone is a videographer people are just looking for someone to make a scapegoat be it a fatal one or not. I wonder how many of us could work not only in a stressful workplace but always knowing someone is there ready to capture their every move and send it to the Great,Vindictive and Judgemental Web? Oh and how many of these videographers (I mean those experts who carry a cell phone) ever make the effort to show a cop just going about his business, neither good or bad? These do-good are also looking for ther 15 minutes of fame through the tragedies of others. Blood suckers.

• Like 2