Suggestions regarding police interactions

DizRotus

Oprah had trouble in a high end store and she is filthy rich.

She puts people off and it has nothing to do with money, except in her mind.  It would be hard to come up with a worse example of a person in any circumstance than her.  She embodies classless and racism all in one.

• Like 1

I remember the Oprah story about her being over in France with an expensive purse or something? Oprah's ego could barely fit inside the door of this shop so she seemed quite happy to bask in this racist plot she stirred up. She tried to make it look like the person waiting on her was racist for not allowing her to handle a bag because it was expensive and Oprah was black or something. Come to find out, the clerk simply did not recognize who she was. Oprah is one of the wealthiest women in the world, let alone being a black woman. I mean she exaggerated the story into this hyper sphere of racism that to me never seemed like the original story at all.

It also reminds me of the multiple stories Michelle Obama has told in regards to her height. Originally the story was that a short woman in a Target store asked the first lady to grab her a bottle of detergent for her off the top shelf. Michelle used the story line to speak of the benefits of her being tall, and how helpful that was when the older shorter woman in the store had no inkling of who she was, The next time she told the same story she flipped the script to create a racist narrative. It then became a story that this woman in Target was telling the first lady to grab the detergent for her because Michelle was black and inferior to her.

Please don't hold it against me but this current president and his wife have the best platform in the world to bring people together and shove aside all this racist nonsense of yesteryear. Instead they choose to play a victim card, which never ceases to amaze me. How is this couple with possibly the most power in the free world still riding the "poor us, we are treated so poorly by whites everywhere we go" theme? I mean does anyone actually buy into it?

Everyone, if put in the peculiar position of being pulled over by the police....for whatever reason sh*ts their pants. It doesn't matter if you have done nothing at all, or completely messed up and were deserving of being stopped. It certainly doesn't matter what color you are when you get pulled over, whites don't get free passes even though that seems to be the narrative today. 

This entire nation is in need of a overhaul. Heck, I am a Canadian, and in Canada they had only a minuscule number of slaves in their entire history. Most slaves were in the form of different native tribes, yet the people in Canada still point fingers at each other over racism and reparations. Are you kidding me, the slaves that were freed here in the US in many cases were smuggled off to Canada to ensure they would never have to endure that treatment again. It is indeed a black eye on the US history but come on, at one time or another almost every country on Earth allowed slavery. You cannot go back and change history but you can clean the slate and change people's minds if you just sit down and clear the air. Some people use it as a crutch and go back to that well even though it had no effect on them or their families. We will never be able to move forward together with everyone lashing out with this idiotic racist rhetoric. Move on, pick yourselves up and change things. Start with yourself, others will follow your lead.

Tim

PS......if this in any way sounds political or out of bounds, that was not my intention. I was just trying to draw parallels. If the moderaors don't like this post, please feel free to delete it. I think this thread is a good intended post of opinions and I don't want it to get shut down or anything due to my poor writing skills which may be giving the wrong impressions.

• Like 1

The platforms that both Oprah and Michelle O. have to preach unity or division was my point.

Back to the police topic as Derrick says.....

The police have a hard enough job without the higher ups in our country constantly talking about how corrupt the police are. How the police have a different set of rules and how poorly the police treat people. I think we all saw recently how these same people screaming about the police having different sets of rules than the common man have directly contradicted themselves by allowing a very shameful and corrupt process to go without prosecution. Talk about a different set of rules.

Consider this: maybe those platforms are being used to speak the truth.

About 100% of the academic studies on the subject reveal a serious problem in policing of minorities. Of course people wouldn't hear about that if all they listen to is partisan antagonists.

The truth is not often pleasant.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Edited by jbevins
  • Like 2

Consider this: maybe those platforms are being used to speak the truth.

About 100% of the academic studies on the subject reveal a serious problem in policing of minorities. Of course people wouldn't hear about that if all they listen to is partisan antagonists.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, jbevins.  Your posts here are fine so far, so this is "newbie" counseling and in no way a warning or anything.  I am a very free speech moderator, but I strongly suggest you review the Terms of Service if you have not done so.  We are all guests of Klipsch and maintain very high standards of civil conduct.  I consider this a worthwhile thread and am following it.  But it MUST stay clear of religion, politics, racism and the like as well as remain civil.  Mods tend to err on the side of caution as we are all old timers and love Klipsch. 

​Carry on, and welcome again to the finest family of audio enthusiasts on the web!

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Mallette. I did read the TOS. I can't think of anything I said in contradiction. But I blanched red when reading these two statements made earlier, and the ones about the First Lady. They attempt to describe two of the most mainstream establishment black women as racists, not to mention the rest of the ugly characterization. I said early on that there was a total uniformity of expression here, and maybe because of that, no one sees these kinds of statements as foul balls? I didn't think it would hurt to defend the two women since no one else was going to. What does it mean to "stay clear of racism" then?

She puts people off and it has nothing to do with money, except in her mind. It would be hard to come up with a worse example of a person in any circumstance than her. She embodies classless and racism all in one.

I remember the Oprah story about her being over in France with an expensive purse or something? Oprah's ego could barely fit inside the door of this shop so she seemed quite happy to bask in this racist plot she stirred up.

Philando should have started the conversation by stating that he had a CCL, and then asked for instructions. Announcing that you have a firearm, and then going for your wallet is just asking for trouble.

Even a privileged white guy could end up catching some bullets in that situation.

Diamond Reynolds keeps contradicting herself - I have now heard three different accounts from her regarding the incident.

I'm trying to stay away from the specifics because it disturbs me.

But going from the specific to the general, I've been told that if you have a CCL and you are pulled over, HAND the officer the CCL card, keep your hands on the wheel, and then calmly WAIT for further questions or instructions.

The idea is that once you utter the word GUN out loud, it triggers a defensive response in the officer putting him on high alert.

• Like 2

The idea is that once you utter the word GUN out loud, it triggers a defensive response in the officer putting him on high alert.

Is this at odds with all the new laws encouraging people to carry guns? Police hate to hear "gun" - lawmakers want everyone armed to teeth?

What does it mean to "stay clear of racism" then?

Close to the line, indeed.  However, that post didn't generate much comment and wasn't from the original poster.  I tend to try to keep good threads alive until somebody really insists on death by moderator...to be in the spirit of this thread.  Few things I hate worse than locking an thread, but will do so in a minute if need be. 

Dave

• Like 1

That's because they have a high school diploma.

My son (cop in Myrtle Beach) has a 4-year degree from the WVU School of Medicine.  He finished second overall in his class at the Police Academy, first overall guy had a PhD.

FYI.

• Like 2

Philando should have started the conversation by stating that he had a CCL, and then asked for instructions. Announcing that you have a firearm, and then going for your wallet is just asking for trouble.

Even a privileged white guy could end up catching some bullets in that situation.

Diamond Reynolds keeps contradicting herself - I have now heard three different accounts from her regarding the incident.

I'm trying to stay away from the specifics because it disturbs me.

But going from the specific to the general, I've been told that if you have a CCL and you are pulled over, HAND the officer the CCL card, keep your hands on the wheel, and then calmly WAIT for further questions or instructions.

I thnk this will vary from state to state, just what you are required to do or is recommended you do.

Bruce

• Like 1

Not likely.

I've not heard of any studies of serious problems policing Asiatics. They make up about 14% of the US population and take up a tiny fraction of the prison population.  I believe they are considered a minority in this country in terms of race.

+++

FYI I studied race in Sociology a long time ago, back before it was popular.  Back then there were three races, Negroid, Caucasian and Asiatic.  Now I don't know what the heck the labels are.  I think of myself as a Native American because I was born in Ohio.

The current trend seems to be that there are no sub-races in terms of humanoids (genus is Homo Sapiens) because we are genetically the same race having all descended from the African continent.  Race is being thought of these days by many sociologists as a social construct.

I'm not sure what I believe, but that is what I was taught.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Is this at odds with all the new laws encouraging people to carry guns? Police hate to hear "gun" - lawmakers want everyone armed to teeth?

It meets with my common sense that it is in my best interest to make the officer feel safe and in control as much as possible.

• Like 1

Recently I've been wondering about the double standard in terms of the number of shots that the police can fling out.  

Take Philando.  Sitting in a passenger seat and not actively charging anybody or whatever, gets at least 4 maybe 5 bullets into the lungs.  

Take the Louisiana shooting.  Three shots point blank range into the heart.  Flip the guy over, three more into the back.  Six shots to the vitals for a guy who has two cops holding both arms down.  

Time and time again I've seen videos of people running away and a cop unleashes a hail of bullets, I mean lots.  Just BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM.  Maybe more.  

If a citizen did these same things, they would be on trial for murder, even if they were initially shooting in self defense.  Time and time again they teach people in CCDW classes that you shoot enough to stop the threat, then you're done.  Keep going past that point, and it's on you.  Why aren't cops held to this same standard?  There is no time to deduct whether the threat has been neutralized in many of the cases I've seen.  They are obviously trained this way, it's pretty widespread.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Why aren't cops held to this same standard?

Because the Supreme Court has ruled in so many words, that police have the right to kill anyone who they believe threatens them harm. It doesn't say they have a right to neutralize, stop or deter. It says they have the right to kill. So, if you are going to shoot a guy, you are going to make darn sure he is dead. The couple in a car a few months back had 156 shots fired into the window (best of my memory). In other words, there is a basic, fundamental right to kill based on nothing other than the policeman's considerations of fear.