Finally got my Standout Designs custom stand, now I need a Projector!

toomnymods

Finally got my custom built standout designs media stand.. It looks awesome in my room and I love the build quality of it as it is definatly top notch. I'm wanting to get a $3,500 to $7,000 projector. I measured the wall and this is the dimensions I came up with:

104" floor to crown molding or 8'8"

140" or 11'8" width of wall

Klipsch RP-280FA tower height 43"

Standout designs media center height is 26"

Width between each klipsch RP-280FA tower is 110"

The distance from viewing position to the wall is 14' excactly

I do play some video games a few hrs a week but mainly watch movies.

What 4k projector fits into my price range and screen should I buy for max video quality..

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r621/toomnymods/Home%20Audio/53C1789B-9AAC-4244-9EDF-DEF8D4A1EF3D_zpsjrh7ffjf.jpg~original

Edited by toomnymods
  • Like 1

Very nice stand.  As for the projector, you don't have to go that much for a decent one.  I am sure some projector owners will be by shortly to give you their full insite.  There have been some great reviews on some from Panasonic and Benq.  Good luck on your search and enjoy.

I couldn't be happier with my Sony projector. I don't think the 4K movement is worth it yet. In a couple years...

Sony has some really nice 1080 projectors for 2-4000. JVC makes a "4K" projector line in the 4-7000 range.

• Moderators

I'm am totally satisfied with my Panasonic AE8000u at 150" on a Seymour Center Stage XD screen. It's not 4K though.

I've heard great things about the JVC projectors. They just were $2000 more than the Panny.

Edited by Youthman

What are the odds? I looked into purchasing this exact model model last year but the shipping costs and the low Canadian dollar put the kibosh on it. I had a cabinet maker friend make me a duplicate of it in pine with a slight widening in order to accommodate my RC62 II centre. We also altered the bottom two drawers into a single unit.

Edited by YK Thom

If you are set on 4K and can wait another month or so, Epson is coming out with one that may interest you.  I don't know the details though, rumor was that it wasn't quite a true 4K but I can't comment.  Otherwise about your only choice is an $8,000 Sony.  Seems like they're coming out with a couple new models too but I'm not sure.  

JVC is awesome but it's not 4K, the pixel shift stuff isn't worth messing with.  It does however have superior black levels, which can make or break a movie in my opinion.  Any projector can throw vivid colors on the wall.  It takes a nice one to pull off dark scenes.  JVC has no problem in this regard.  If I had to choose between awesome black levels and a cheaper 4K, I'd be choosing the black levels.  I run a DLA-X700RB.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If you are set on 4K and can wait another month or so, Epson is coming out with one that may interest you.

I was reading about this last week. Will be a while for me to jump into 4K tho....

http://www.avsforum.com/epson-6040ub-vs-sony-vpl-vw665es-demo-at-ce-week-2016/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2491057-epson-debuts-hdr-projectors-ce-week-2016-a.html

and nice console by the way!

Edited by Tasdom

Considering the seating distance and wall space, possible screen size, a 4k projector just may not be needed.  There are some great 1080 projectors with super sharp PQ, black and white levels, and other features.  Watching a movie on the big screen has many advantages over TV.  No glare, better off main axis imaging. 

I've seen 4k big screen TV's and would not trade my projector for one.

For daytime viewing, you could use the LCD you have on the wall, and for night or movie time you could have a motorized screen that pops down in front of it.  Your biggest stumbling block will be the ambient lighting. You should invest in some dark out curtains for the windows even though you have blinds. No projector will be nearly as good as that LCD. With your seating arrangement, you are limited on screen gain. It is measured by degrees off axis from the projector.

Since you game, then look at the lag for the projector. That varies wildly. I don't game on my projection screen, but I know my AVR adds lag to FM radio and probably everything else. I know this because I can play a car stereo at the same time as the shop AVR, and the AVR is way behind. If anybody knows about this, please chime in.

4K is about a year out for sub $5,000. Sony has one that's about $8,000 but it's only 1500 lumens. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLVW350ES-Theater-Gaming-Projector/dp/B00SKK70VO?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00SKK70VO&linkCode=as2&linkId=SZXXLZH57UTWWO3P&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl&tag=4k0e-20. You would be better off buying a good 1080p for now with a 4K screen. In a couple years when it's time to think about a new bulb, you can shop for a reasonably priced 4K projector. There should be lots of them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
You would be better off buying a good 1080p for now with a 4K screen. In a couple years when it's time to think about a new bulb, you can shop for a reasonably priced 4K projector. There should be lots of them.

That seems like solid advice.  I was just reading up on the JVC reviews and like Metro said, it seems they don't produce a true 4k image.  You are going to pay a ridiculous premium for 4k but that always is the case for early adopters of technology.

• Like 1

For daytime viewing, you could use the LCD you have on the wall, and for night or movie time you could have a motorized screen that pops down in front of it. Your biggest stumbling block will be the ambient lighting.

That works for me.  TV screen wall mounted with a motorized screen above it.  Some of my family enjoy watching movies on the big screen with a light on in the room.  No wash out problems.

• Like 1

It's hard for me to buy into 4K right now.  There's really only one choice for projectors right now, the movies on discs are all like $30, there is no 4K gaming console yet, and more than anything, I've seen a $25,000 4K projector up close and personal being fed by a Sony 4K player but also being able to be switched back to 1080P as well as being able to walk into another room and seeing a Sony vpl-hw55es projector, and I simply could not tell the difference once I got past like 4' away.  They have this setup at Hi-Fi Buys in Nashville, and I just couldn't in good conscious say that the resolution alone was worth another 20 grand.  They were playing the VIFA soccer stuff and it looked nice for sure... from 3' away.  10' away and all the benefits seemed to disappear.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

I'm new to the projector world, thanks for the advice. From what I've read online seems that Sony and JVC are the kings of the projector world.. So if thier isn't really a true JVC 4k projector availble right now, which projector from JVC would you reccomend? Like some of you have posted deep rich blacks is something I'm used to with my Samsung 4k led tv. I'd hate to lose the image quality that I'm already used to. Will going back to 1080p projector be a huge step back? I already have a 4k UHD Samsung bluray player and around 30 4k blurays. Seems JVC has a lot of models for projectors and some have the same specs as others. How do I know which to buy? Is contrast ratio the most important spec I assume?

here is a few I've been looking at

JVC DLA RS400 40,000:1 contrast ratio

JVC DLA RS500U---- this one has a little better contrast ratio of 120,000:1 but nearly $2,000 more

Edited by toomnymods

I picked up a JVC projector and couldn't be happier.  The JVC has the lens memory feature which is great if your wall dimensions can accommodate a 2.35:1 screen size.  Keep an eye on Starpower specials -- that is where I got mine.  You can sign up for their e-mail list and they'll notify you when their next big sale is.  During their last tent sale, I put down a deposit in advance and they set one aside for me.

Also, you'll need a screen as well and unless you want to spend a fortune on a screen, you'll be hard pressed to do better than Silver Ticket.  Amazon carries them and the prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit, so keep an eye on them and pounce when the prices drop.  I ended up with an "open-box" buy which was described as likely having some packaging damaged, but the screen itself was supposed to be without flaws.  I didn't even find any of the packaging damaged, which didn't matter either way as long as the screen didn't arrive damaged.  I'm very pleased with the screen and I ended up paying less than 1/2 of the list price.

53C1789B-9AAC-4244-9EDF-DEF8D4A1EF3D_zps