New to me! Klipsch KG4's from 1986 in nearly perfect shape

chrislehr

I cannot tell you guys how psyched I am.  Haven't done a 2 channel set up in about 12 years.  Recently bought a new home, and the style of the house allows for dramatic wood furniture, so when I saw these Walnut finished beauties pop up on CL, I reacted quickly and secured them this morning after a hasty test listen with the seller's Sansui AU-717.  I was sold on them based on pics, but the cones and woofer all looked great.

Excuse the lack of better pictures as I was running to work and popped these off for my wife and to document the serials.

Guessing based on serial, these were made in 1986?  So far, they are hooked up to nothing.  In the market for a silver or silver+wood receiver of 70-120 watts.  Currently enamored with the CR-2020.

post-1496-0-56140000-1468266238_thumb.jp

post-1496-0-98980000-1468266253_thumb.jp

post-1496-0-97060000-1468266265_thumb.jp

post-1496-0-69860000-1468266279_thumb.jp

Glad to be back!

• Like 2

Yes, 1986.  Where are you located?

PNW, USA

I love my KG4's, they are very well rounded in the sound dept.    Don't forget they are 4ohm speakers, so choose a good power source that will dig down and help with their low sensitivity.

Thought I read 6 ohm.  Looks like google has it all over the place.  Seeing 4, 6 and 8.

Awesome! Those look really great. :-) I enjoy my pair also, with Sansui no less. Vintage Yamaha is really great also. You should show off that Yammy too!

I haven't purchased one yet.  I think I may have just purchased a Technics SA-700 though.

• Like 1

Oh man, I love those.  I bought a pair of KG4s in 86 and they were the first set of decent speakers I owned.  They came to a tragic end when my wife ignored me, left the amp on with the door to the cabinet closed, which caused the amp to overheat and blow up everything connected to it.  

I replaced them in 99 with a pair of KLF 30s which are still rocking.  

Take care of those.

I have a pair of KG4's that are also walnut and nearly identical. I have mine on a pair of end tables that bring the tweeter up to ear level. Might want to give it a try!

Ps, anyone looking for a pair....some walnut KG4's just popped up on Ebay!

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

I have a pair of KG4's that are also walnut and nearly identical. I have mine on a pair of end tables that bring the tweeter up to ear level. Might want to give it a try!

Ps, anyone looking for a pair....some walnut KG4's just popped up on Ebay!

Looking at prices there, I am well under the lowest price, so I think I did well!

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to pry my KG 4's out my cold dead hands.

Probably have the only set remaining in South Africa.

Got them mint from an ex sound engineer at the State Broadcaster.

My second favorite speaker after my Vandersteen 2CE Signatures.

They are just plain fun to listen too, make me smile every time.

Got some Cornscala D's in the works which should be ready in month or two.

Perhaps they will topple the Vandies, cant wait.

Klipsch speakers of the Heritage line and all the classics you guys have access to, just are not available here.

There are however B&W's   :wacko:   in every second home so to speak, never could figure that out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The SA GX 700 and 730  units are awesome for driving the KG4's

These units were made in the 90s

Make sure you buy the Class A or Class AA units. Stay away from the Class H

The A and AA class units have a THD of .0008% at 1 watt. Really Clean and amazing damping factor as well.

I purchased my set in 1986 and they are still rocking Paired with a Klipsch SW-10 powered sub through the Pre amp output on the SA GX730

Best speaker I have ever owned once paired with the sub.

Enjoy my friend