placing a sub in a ET center?

InVeNtOr

to all the Super-Duper Crazy intelligent Sub MASTERS....

so, there is a custom made gigantic ET center.  it has 4 cubby holds (don't know the exact size yet) with the idea to put at least 2 subs in them.  if the subs we choose only has 1 forward firing woofer with the ports on the same side (live the SVS big mammer jammer) would that work in a cubby hole?  i have a duel firing and it's suppose to be in a corner (it's not, but oh well).  i would assume if the sub had 2 firing woofers and we put it in a cubby hole, it would create all kinds of issues.

just so it's out there, this ET center is NOT my design, not the way i would have went.  i was asked after the fact and i'm trying to make it all work as it sits.  so far, the guy has to re do the sides because he didn't know you couldn't put a Tower speaker (specifically RF7) in a 18"x18"x60" hole, 3' off the floor. 

so if the Sub Gaud's could shine a little light on me, it will greatly help me pick the right sub (s).

post-21676-0-35820000-1468341128_thumb.j

Edited by InVeNtOr

I understand, unless you have a sub to test in that spot and know it works well in that position i would recommend not going that route.

Plus having a sub in your entertainment center will rattle all the components inside plus the entertainment center is probably not built sturdy enough to be rattle free.

Maybe if you were talking a smallish model with low output you may be OK but put some powerhouse model in there is a bad choice.

That SVS is 2 grand, i could build something far superior for that price and have something not made in Communist China.

Not saying that to sell you something but to give you a heads up maybe for somebody in your area could build something for you, happy to steer you in the right direction if needed.

I understand, unless you have a sub to test in that spot and know it works well in that position i would recommend not going that route.

Plus having a sub in your entertainment center will rattle all the components inside plus the entertainment center is probably not built sturdy enough to be rattle free.

Maybe if you were talking a smallish model with low output you may be OK but put some powerhouse model in there is a bad choice.

That SVS is 2 grand, i could build something far superior for that price and have something not made in Communist China.

Not saying that to sell you something but to give you a heads up maybe for somebody in your area could build something for you, happy to steer you in the right direction if needed.

something for less that's the same size?

And finish?

SVS is the Bose of subwoofers.

Nothing magical about their products.

And finish?

Finish can be anything you want, send it out to a local body shop if needed.

Veneer is not that tough for most experienced carpenters if somebody goes that route.

There you go, Scrappy . . . something productive to do between about 2:30AM to 4:30AM, instead of wasting all that time!

• Like 1

There you go, Scrappy . . . something productive to do between about 2:30AM to 4:30AM, instead of wasting all that time!

Sleep is overrated anyways. :lol:

Subs usually don't work well with the WAF in a cabinet.  Now, no bad mouthing China, lol.  We can live without China..... :blink:

The start couldn't be more balanced: in 1985, the U.S. exported $3.9 billion to China, and imported goods and services for the exact same amount. But by 2015, there was a staggering imbalance, to China's advantage, of $365.7 billion – an all-time record, not just for U.S.-China trade, but for any bilateral trade, ever.

It's not that U.S. exports to China haven't increased. They have, and by a lot. America exported an impressive $116.2 billion into China last year, 30 times more than in 1985. That makes China the U.S.'s third-biggest export market, nearly twice as important as Japan ($62.5 billion), in fourth place. But that's still a lot less than U.S. exports to Canada ($280.3 billion) or Mexico ($236.4 billion). Meanwhile, Chinese exports to the U.S. have exploded. In 2015, China exported $481.9 billion to the U.S. - an amazing 123 times more than in 1985. http://howmuch.net/articles/this-gif-shows-how-china-trumps-us-on-trade

Edited by derrickdj1

"SVS is the Bose of subwoofers.

Nothing magical about their products"

if that doesn't sum it up! i never knew that.  i was under the impression they were very good (i guess like a lot of other people who buy Bose).

well, if you could build something, that might be a route we take.  it might be for the living room HT, though.  so are there any suggestions for a sub to purchase? i have little to know experience with subs, i typically refer to them as "Magic and Science" because i just don't understand them.  i have a Sunfire sub, i love it, i'm sure it's not the best sub out there...but for going down to 16hz, it sure does work well. 

the guy is gutting out the HT room ET center.  i'm not 100% sure what he's doing but he told me there will be enough room on each side for the RF7ii, and a sub (if needed).  i believe he is going to want 2 subs. cost, isn't a factor, i mean that too.  he is buying everything he needs for TWO home theaters at the SAME time! he just sent me the invoice for the RF7ii, RC64ii, and RS62ii.  he's already purchased several other speakers.  in about 2 months (need to wait for the release date) he is buying: XMC-1 (with upgraded HDMI board), XPA Gen3 (7 ch), A500, and A700. 

Jason, if you have a great suggestion on a great sub, let me know.  oh, he's kind of like me when it comes to subs, he likes to feel the punch in his chest....hopefully i can tune 2 subs in and get those results!

SVS makes good subs, can't compete with their cheaper products due to they are probably paying some child a nickel a day to build their product but surpassing higher priced products is not a big challenge.

After hearing all the hoopla i made it a point to hear some in person, granted sound varies from one room to another i was not over impressed with anything but admit not hearing every model.

The variable tuning on the top ported model looks great on paper and sounds good but blocking off a port for tuning adds chuffing sounds at high excursion and sealing it off just makes it unimpressive.

I would be happy to help in any way i can, if you're looking for me to build something options are endless or say the word and i will be happy to recommend the products i have heard.

Subs usually don't work well with the WAF in a cabinet.  Now, no bad mouthing China, lol.  We can live without China..... :blink:

The start couldn't be more balanced: in 1985, the U.S. exported $3.9 billion to China, and imported goods and services for the exact same amount. But by 2015, there was a staggering imbalance, to China's advantage, of $365.7 billion – an all-time record, not just for U.S.-China trade, but for any bilateral trade, ever.

It's not that U.S. exports to China haven't increased. They have, and by a lot. America exported an impressive $116.2 billion into China last year, 30 times more than in 1985. That makes China the U.S.'s third-biggest export market, nearly twice as important as Japan ($62.5 billion), in fourth place. But that's still a lot less than U.S. exports to Canada ($280.3 billion) or Mexico ($236.4 billion). Meanwhile, Chinese exports to the U.S. have exploded. In 2015, China exported $481.9 billion to the U.S. - an amazing 123 times more than in 1985. http://howmuch.net/articles/this-gif-shows-how-china-trumps-us-on-trade

What sucks about this stuff is that as soon as we find something that the Chinese love and we can export, the Chinese have so many tariffs on it that it's not very affordable, so to save on shipping plus tariffs, the manufacturers try to just start building it over there instead of building it here and exporting. Case in point: Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Jason,

i sent a PM.

also, for the Living Room HT, a suggestion on a product may be best.  i'll have to upload a pic of the ET center, it's basically the entire wall with 4 cubby holes underneath.  i told him i "think" putting a smaller sub in there "may" work, but i wasn't for sure.  again, he built all this up and then decided to go get speakers. once i upload the pic, the very slender hole on the far outsides, is where he thought the towers would go....

My opinion on the OP is that it _could_ work, but I seriously doubt that your builder is building it in such a way that is optimal. Could have had an empty area on the bottom middle where the subs could sit on the floor and the entertainment center wrapped around it without the subs actually sitting ON the entertainment center.

As for the location, putting a sub in the middle of each wall panel is actually the most optimal way to smooth out the room modes, could just do that for now then add more later. Just having one in the front middle and one in the back middle helps a ton and is pretty danged consistent, you can model this in REW and see what it does. Nothing wrong with starting out with one in the front center.

so the only real option for this ET center (that i can think of) is front ported book shelf speakers.

he also got ahead of himself and bought an extra RC64ii.  so....if we can find some RB75's, those will pair nicely with that RC64ii. 

the surrounds will be ceiling mounted (i have a post for that)

to me, it looks like he planned on a sub to be in those cubby cabinets at the bottom.  depending on the available space in the room, we may pull them out and put them in the back or something like that. 

i'm also including his sketch of both the HT room and Living Room.  they are right next to each other.  i'm pretty sure only 1 will be used at a time. maybe in the back right corner the sub will work.  if u put a sub or subs right behind the couch, does that work?

post-21676-0-35380000-1468503010_thumb.j

post-21676-0-77540000-1468503273_thumb.j

Nice room, sub behind couch is OK as long as there is one up front as well.

You may be able to localize it depending on crossover frequency, placement and your ears but having multiples will minimize room nulls.

Plenty of space for a nice sound system for sure.