Desktop system ideas

JoeDirt

Hello.

I presume that many of us spend countless hours in front of our computer screens - I point to this forum as evidence.

I am interested in creating a small - high end - sound system to use on my desktop that plugs into my computer so I can listen to music while solving the world's problems on line.

I use a Klipsch KMC-3 now and it sounds good.  I want to graduate to a 2.1 system with a mini amp.  Sub is optional.  I'd love to see someone shrink LaScalas from a 24"x24" footprint to a 4"x4" footprint so they'd fit on my desk.  Size matters.

What do you use?

Is there an amp that works better than most?

Thanks.

I admit to being yet another fan of the ProMedia 2.1 system. I have an original; it's the one with the speaker wires that plug into the backs of the satellites. I replaced them with 16 AWG Monster XP speaker wire (custom-made by an audio repair center selling them on eBay), and the sound improvement was very noticeable. At the time, I also still had the plain X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card - it's the one that seems to have a low-profile design. I eventually upgraded to the X-Fi Titanium HD and then I felt that I achieved the absolute best possible computer audio system for my money.

Then I "decoupled" my subwoofer from my floor by putting it on something that doesn't let the vibrations travel to the floor very easy (I chose a big fluffy bath towel) , and now my sound is even better.

If you can find an original ProMedia 2.1 system on eBay in good condition, then I definitely recommend going for it because you can further upgrade the sound very easily by replacing the speaker wires with some good specially-made 16 AWG speaker wires. I tried the typical lamp cord type of speaker wires, but the Monster XP wire was a noticeable improvement. When I upgraded to the lamp cord type of wire (it was Audiopipe wire of some kind), I had to use lower Graphic EQ settings and X-Fi Crystalizer settings. When I upgraded to the Monster XP wire though, I had to do that yet again! The sound quality being produced by the satellites was improved quite nicely too over those cheap stock 22 AWG aluminum wires.

So yeah, this is what I personally recommend.

Could you please post a link to the seller of those wires?  I'd like to look at them.  Thanks.

It seems they don't have them right now. Here's the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/audiorepaircenterusa

I recommend asking to see if they can make you some that you can buy.

What they did for the ones I found on eBay through them was they just used 16 AWG Monster XP speaker wire and put nice Rean brand 1/8" mono plugs on one end (http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/products/35-mm-plugs/nys226bg), and they tinned the bare ends with silver I guess and sold them that way. It's quite convenient for people like me who don't own a soldering iron and have never soldered before and would never solder again after making my own speaker wires.

I searched eBay for ProMedia 2.1 speaker wires, but all I found for wires are the stock wires. Of course, that can change quickly on eBay!

Edited by TwoCables

Ask Mustang Guy what he has on the computer desk in his office.  It sounds tremendous, very clean, full sound at near-field listening distance.

And from mid-distance, it sounds really good too.

i run cornwalls myself.

On a desk?  Fascinating...

Dave

they sit right next to my desk. but i am pretty sure there is a thread on here talking about cornwalls as near field monitors. 

Edited by Scrappydue

• 2 months later...

I'm on a bit of tight budget. My desktop PC audio system is a pair of these:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-loudspeaker

Driven by one of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

I got the speakers on clearance for $99 and the amp pre-owned for $50. Considering the under $150 investment it sounds very VERY good to my ears. I'm currently on the hunt for a decent (but affordable) DAC so I can take the PC's audio out of the mix. I fully expect an outboard DAC to kick up the quality a notch or three.

BR-Audio_zpsdlb2oqcz.jpg