La scala splitter.

I do not believe the lag screws, the staples, nor possibly the splitter are factory Klipsch. Someone's been playing with your Scalas?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578994d7e3375/20160715_185733.jpg

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578994e986fa3/20160715_184758.png?

Here's the label on the back very old but still readable. The serial number is 2m449. Sorry about the error. As you can see in the photo it has the big splitter. Perhaps because it does have the Paducah CTS driver that's what they went with in 1974. That amounts to a tighter throat squeeze perhaps they subsequently decided against that.

As for the lag screws, I decided to to do that modification myself. The two half Moons formed by the woofer periphery and slot seem to have quite a bit of resonance in the upper range of the woofer. By running those shafts back to the rear panel and lightly torquing down I was able to move that resonance up in frequency of the woofers range resulting in quite a bit of improved clarity in the 300 to 400 hz region. I did this in about 1980 as one of my first modifications. I bought them from the original owner which I know would definitely not be one to fiddle with the throat structure. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I do not believe the lag screws, the staples, nor possibly the splitter are factory Klipsch. Someone's been playing with your Scalas?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578994d7e3375/20160715_185733.jpg

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578994e986fa3/20160715_184758.png?

Here's the label on the back very old but still readable. The serial number is 2m449. Sorry about the error. As you can see in the photo it has the big splitter. Perhaps because it does have the Paducah CTS driver that's what they went with in 1974. That amounts to a tighter throat squeeze perhaps they subsequently decided against that.

As for the lag screws, I decided to to do that modification myself. The two half Moons formed by the woofer periphery and slot seem to have quite a bit of resonance in the upper range of the woofer. By running those shafts back to the rear panel and lightly torquing down I was able to move that resonance up in frequency of the woofers range resulting in quite a bit of improved clarity in the 300 to 400 hz region. I did this in about 1980 as one of my first modifications. I bought them from the original owner which I know would definitely not be one to fiddle with the throat structure. Any thoughts?

Someone asked about the slot dimensions. It is 3 by 13 inches. The mid-range K400 horn also has a casting date of August 1974.

As for the lag screws, I decided to to do that modification myself. The two half Moons formed by the woofer periphery and slot seem to have quite a bit of resonance in the upper range of the woofer. By running those shafts back to the rear panel and lightly torquing down I was able to move that resonance up in frequency of the woofers range resulting in quite a bit of improved clarity in the 300 to 400 hz region.

I think one could put in a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch ply between the baffle and the back with some PL Premiums and accomplish the same thing. Won't be hard for me to do this on my as I do the refurb...

Bruce

As for the lag screws, I decided to to do that modification myself. The two half Moons formed by the woofer periphery and slot seem to have quite a bit of resonance in the upper range of the woofer. By running those shafts back to the rear panel and lightly torquing down I was able to move that resonance up in frequency of the woofers range resulting in quite a bit of improved clarity in the 300 to 400 hz region.

I think one could put in a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch ply between the baffle and the back with some PL Premiums and accomplish the same thing. Won't be hard for me to do this on my as I do the refurb...

Bruce

The plywood pieces would help somewhat and I think you'll like the difference. The good thing about the lags is that you can tension them like truss Rod's and it seems to reduce the resonance the most

• Like 1

Here's a pic from the side of shaft .The lag screws are for resonance control of the motor board

Have you verified there IS a resonance in the motorboard?  I don't think mine do. 

As to the splitter, it it the beginning of the horn and the expansion rate is important there, so I'd calculate carefully the impact of change you are proposing. 

Here's a pic from the side of shaft .The lag screws are for resonance control of the motor board

Have you verified there IS a resonance in the motorboard? I don't think mine do.

As to the splitter, it it the beginning of the horn and the expansion rate is important there, so I'd calculate carefully the impact of change you are proposing.

No I'm not proposing a change these are the way they came stock. The splitter, that is. I'm very satisfied with its performance. Mine's an older model , with doghouse hatch under the mid-range horn. That's why my Splitter"s the larger one, I imagine. Thanks guys for your input!