New Volti Rival

EmilC

People in general....no one specific' its human nature. I have dealt with the same shitty *** treatment from many around here for 17 years.... sure Greg said some stupid shite around here years ago....folks need to get over it. We all say stupid shite now and again (especially me). Greg makes some flat out awesome horn speakers. If I could afford them I'd be jumping to buy a pair...

• Like 2

I have just finished reading this thread, and most of it is exactly why I don't come here much anymore!!! Too much BS about what someone else is doing, who cares??? If you don't like something keep it to yourself unless some ask you directly about, why just foam at the mouth; BECAUSE YOU CAN.. Not a very good reason imo!!!

• Like 3

I haven't seen any foaming at the mouth, just people giving opinions (for and against).  You can choose to disregard the opinions or state a rebuttal with facts backing up your claims.  This thread has been civil as far as I've seen.  No name calling or getting personal.  Opinions are what this forum is all about.

1 hour ago, NOSValves said:

Face it in the general audiphile world Klipsch is not all that well thought of :(

Actually, the LaScala II holds a Class A rating with Stereophile -- not an easy thing to pull off.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, canyonman said:

I have just finished reading this thread, and most of it is exactly why I don't come here much anymore!!! Too much BS about what someone else is doing, who cares??? If you don't like something keep it to yourself unless some ask you directly about, why just foam at the mouth; BECAUSE YOU CAN.. Not a very good reason imo!!!

There sure is a lot of great people here and I don't "live" here near as much as I used to, because I too have heavily modded K's that are frowned upon by so many. I rarely even participate when I find threads with people modding drivers or horns.  I have to thank many of the people here that have steered me towards different components or custom built networks, etc. etc. by some of the entities that get punished for their efforts of wanting more or pushing the envelope. These guys don't have to follow a financial model of marketing and selling to the masses, they simply try and extract every little bit of PWK's designs.

Its a fine line to walk and discuss actually improving many areas of our speakers with different components and what not, but to deny that there are improvements or consider it to be blasphemy to be made on they models or designs is shortcoming.  We are all here at the Klipsch forum for a reason and we all hold PWK designs very dear and in many cases his designs are the very reason that so many carry the passion for Klipsch speakers their entire life.  I will never own anything other than a Klipsch speaker and I think the man himself would be very proud to see people taking his designs and constantly try to improve on them because I believe this is what he did his entire life.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Deang said:

IActually, the LaScala II hol ds a Class A rating with Stereophile -- not an easy thing to pull off.

Well you might put weight in things coming out of that rag but I sure don't. And it surely doesn't mean the speaker is a widely accepted by the high end audiophiles....

4 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Well you might put weight in things coming out of that rag but I sure don't. And it surely doesn't mean the speaker is a widely accepted by the high end audiophiles....

I'm interested in what audio publications you do respect that does equipment reviews?  That list would certainly be helpful to a lot of us I'm sure.

• Like 1

@Max2 well said.  No matter how it's phrased, there are those who feel any suggestion that "improvements" or "upgrades" can be made to PWK's designs is blasphemy.  IMO, PWK was an excellent engineer who designed excellent products that could be manufactured and sold at a profit  I suspect he would acknowledge that improvements could be made, especially given new designs and materials available today, and especially if there were no budget constraints.

That said, all "upgrades" are not equal.  Many here perceived the implications of some modifiers as arrogance to even suggest that they knew more than PWK, or Roy Delgado.  IMO, they don't know more than Klipsch engineers, but they have the luxury of making changes that would not be commercially viable.

Hobbyists have a right to modify their speakers.  If they perceive an improvement, good for them.  They should not for an instant suggest or believe that they know more than PWK or Roy Delgado.  It seems that Greg Roberts caused people to infer that he was implying knowledge superior to PWK and Roy.  If he was, he's mistaken.  IMO, he has taken PWK's designs and applied exceptional woodworking skills and a cost no object approach to components to produce gorgeous speakers that Klipsch could never -- would never -- produce and sell for a profit.  I have no doubt that Volti products sound as good as they look, at least to their customers.  I also have no doubt that Roy Delgado has forgotten more about speaker design than Greg Roberts will ever know.  If Klipsch were in a position to produce such boutique speakers, IMO, they would design, test and build speakers better than Volti.  The reality is they address different markets.

Go ahead and choose Volti, just don't suggest that Greg Roberts knows more than PWK or Roy; he doesn't.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

I'mdon'terested in what audio public ations yo respect that does equipmenearst reviews?  That list would certainly be helpful to a lot of us I'm sure.

Zip, Zero, Nadda If I don't See it with my own eyes, touch with my own hands, hear it with my own ears and test it on my own bench I take it with a grain of salt.... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

@Max2 well said.  No matter how its phrased, there are those who. feel any suggestion that "improvements" or "upgrades" can be made to PWK's designs is blasphemy.  IMO, PWK was an excellent engineer who designed excellent products that could be manufactured and sold at a profit  I suspect he would acknowledge that improvements could be made, especially given new designs and materials available today, and especially if there were no budget constraints.

That said, all "upgrades" are not equal.  Many here perceived the implications of some modifiers as arrogance to even suggest that they knew more than PWK, or Roy Delgado.  IMO, they don't know more than Klipsch engineers, but they have the luxury of making changes that would not be commercially viable.

Hobbyists have a right to modify their speakers.  If they perceive an improvement, good for them.  They should not for an instant suggest or believe that they know more than PWK or Roy Delgado.  It seems that Greg Roberts caused people to infer that he was implying knowledge superior to PWK and Roy.  If he was, he's mistaken.  IMO, he has taken PWK's designs and applied exceptional woodworking skills and a cost no object approach to components to produce gorgeous speakers that Klipsch could never -- would never -- produce and sell for a profit.  I have no doubt that Volti products sound as good as they look, at least to their customers.  I also have no doubt that Roy Delgado has forgotten more about speaker design than Greg Roberts will ever know.  If Klipsch were in a position to produce such boutique speakers, IMO, they would design, test and build speakers better than Volti.  The reality is they address different markets.

Go ahead and choose Volti, just don't suggest that Greg Roberts knows more than PWK or Roy; he doesn't.

I have no problem with that line of thinking and I bet Greg wouldn't either!

5 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Zip, Zero, Nadda If I don't See it with my own eyes, touch with my own hands, hear it with my own ears and test it on my own bench I take it with a grain of salt.... 

Fair enough.  You must be from Missouri.

• Like 1

So what's a guy to do......buy all the equipment blind and pull them apart, audition, and then decide if you like it or not?  I need something to point me in the right direction to get started.  I bet even Carl resorts to a manual before taking an engine apart or rebuilding a transmission.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Audiophiles are Audiophiles! We are Klipschophiles! Who cares about those people that tend to spend all their money on speakers with small and inefficient drivers with restricted dynamic range? who can impose his metrology to people to measure which sound is better? sound should be admired by the listener so it's a subjective matter. To me a La Scala sounds better that those mega dollar speakers out there

• Like 4