New Volti Rival

EmilC

On 6/9/2017 at 5:37 PM, Deang said:

Craig, what technical contributions did you make to my business model? 

You definitely helped me with advice on how to get a legal business going - but I don't remember anything else other than, " don't use those damn Hovlands in a Type A crossover. :-)

Not surprising....you always have had a selective memory :P

On 6/9/2017 at 6:33 PM, dtel said:

Well it's a good thing he is good at woodworking and had some smart people designing for him, without alot of help he could not have gone from beginner to high end designer in less than 2 years with no formal training.  

I did find the old threads to prove this, they were not all lost after all. If I were to bring them back up, I was advised to lock them so they could not be edited or deleted.  

I really don't care what he builds or sells, I can copy, and get people with these engineering skills to design and test horns for me. But I would not ignore any acknowledgments to these people or even give them credit for helping.  What kind of BS is that, just use them and move on, ungrateful. But then if you're going to be "high end" you are expected to know a little something, I guess it would be bad for business if you're working knowledge is someone's else's ?

NOSValves, from reading your post for years it's obvious you have the training for what you work on, and do well at it, people can ask almost any question and you could answer it, you have done it and know it.

This does not apply to people dependant on others for answers, what aggravates some people is when these people claim to be better than who they copied with little to no real working knowledge.   

Woodworker yes, salesman yes, speaker/designer engineer no.      So why talk bad about the people who spent most of their life studying and working at it keeping a company open for over 70 years,...... what was that ? a few year of help by others and now you're better at designing speakers , well that's ok not everyone knows the truth. 

To me it's the person NOT what he's selling, and I have kept my mouth shut as to not cause trouble for him, no reason to really. But whoever thinks he's "all that" is either working with him or they have no clue of how it went down, or the same.

When people help you, you acknowledge it, if you take their idea at least give them credit, it's not cool to put them down after you claim to know it all.

And to think I wanted to stay out of this hoping it would just die off and he could just go off into the sunset selling his speakers, but noooo 

Thanks to all who remembered everything and spent the time searching.

good grief.....

On 7/14/2016 at 11:01 AM, Chris A said:

For that kind of money, you're well into Klipsch Jubilee (two-way home version) territory.  In case you haven't heard Jubs, it's really no contest.

If you can wait, a full-range multiple-entry K-402 horn design is also about the size of a Cornwall or CornScala, and IMO, has much better midbass performance than a Jubilee.  For something smaller than Jubs and Cornwalls, I'd actually recommend something like Danley SH-50s--which would be no contest, too...IMO. 

Chris

I agree with all of this, Chris. I have/have had all of the Klipsch Heritage and Pro stuff over 40 years. Sound per dollar-wise, Klipsch can't be beat. Neither can Danley, as I have the SH-50's you mention also.

That being said, I spent quite a bit of time with Greg at Axpona a few years ago. His CRAFTSMANSHIP on the cabinets he makes is second to none, as well as the top quality components he uses throughout.

As far as the "copy cat" label goes, how many MTM (D'Appolito) configured, direct radiator, moving coil loudspeakers are there in the "high end" marketplace. Copy Cats indeed. Whereas, speakers with HORNS are still pretty rare in comparison, right?

On 7/14/2016 at 4:10 PM, twk123 said:

A set of 402 Horns on top of Quartie Pie Bass Bins  with 3 Cinema F-20 subwoofers placed directly in front and one on each side of the listening position is the current horn loaded end game for me.  :emotion-21: 

Well, I have to agree with you, also, but I am biased. LOL.I have yet to find a better horn than the K-402, and still have a pair with TADs.

When I published the Quarter Pie plans, I DID pay homage to Gary Gillum and Paul Klipsch, by stating clearly that I tried over 50 iterations in Hornresp, and could NOT improve the MWM "moutengator" core throat and initial expansion section. I actually spoke to Gary Gillum and also got the back story on the Klipsch MWM, which, AFAIK, is still being built by his son, in a version with additional bracing,  for that fellow in the Boston Area, named John,  that does Theater Installs

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 1:54 PM, John Albright said:

Why aren't you dogging John Allen and HPS-4000 for ripping-off Klipsch?  Some of you state his A55G is a superior squawker.

Why do you give Peavey and its FH-1 a pass?

John Allen did what he did with PWK's blessing. Gary Gillum, the co-patent holder on the MWM, did most of the work as Klipsch's chief engineer. I met him briefly in 1985, and spoke to him on the phone about how they were developed, after I got 4 of them for my then system in 2007. Gary Gillum, with PWK's blessing built all of John Allen's speakers and told me lots of inside information on drivers, horns, etc. John Allen's market was always considered "little fish" by the Klipsch company. I"m sure they feel the same about Volti Audio.