Jump to content

New Volti Rival


EmilC
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
12 hours ago, Coytee said:

I still think you should go search the archives....if nothing else but to keep your nose out of trouble...

 

Well, if you're lucky it will be your nose being kept out of trouble...

 

 

35455[1].gif

Some people love causing trouble. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2017 at 5:56 AM, pzannucci said:

Arash,

Very nice.  I wish I had your shop to play in.

 

dtel,

Yes remember the days when there was a lot more technical information flying around these forums, particularly from ALK.  Also all the arguments that caused folks to leave. Good or bad.

 

The key to remember is measurements don't lie.  Become a master on what you can do and learn what you can't so you can improve.

 

Measurements themselves might not lie but you can misdirect (unintentional or otherwise).  Using different scales, showing measurements of speakers in your room instead of in an anechoic chamber or at least outside, or omission of relevant factors can all affect the apparent results.  

 

People do it with statistics all the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics

 

On another note, I'd love to spend some time developing skills in some of these shops!  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, muel said:

 

Measurements themselves might not lie but you can misdirect (unintentional or otherwise).  Using different scales, showing measurements of speakers in your room instead of in an anechoic chamber or at least outside, or omission of relevant factors can all affect the apparent results.  

 

People do it with statistics all the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics

 

On another note, I'd love to spend some time developing skills in some of these shops!  

 

 

Muel, 

You are correct if you don't know what you are looking at.  I have worked with that type of documentation on a regular basis. These are fairly straight forward plots in the article.

If the plots were not made in a chamber or outside they would be much more troubling because the measurement techniques and reflections would pretty much say the measurements were taken in a glass room and the speaker has a very wide dispersion.  Very unlikely in both accounts.  Not like JA is clueless or trying to misdirect someone.  His measurements are the only reason I like Stereophile.

Balance balance balance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Klipsch ( IMO ) was the first to come close to finding that mythical unicorn we all look for. For this reason he deserves to wear the kings crown. However if you reach that status be aware there will be many that will try to dethrone you. But lets be realistic about the unicorn for just one minute. It will never be found, it does not exist. Its only in our head and will always be.  So for me, I have stopped my hunt and moved on to more important things in my life.   For those of you still on the hunt, good luck, Paul Klipsch raised the bar extremely high. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I happen to own a pair of Rivals. I know nothing of the forum issues with Greg alluded to here.  To me the Rivals are by far the best speakers I have owned period. Seems like the folks here who have actually heard them have positive reactions. The ones that haven't resort to personally bashing Greg. Pretty bush league if you ask me. 

 

Like Justin said - to each their own. And what I say " I like what I have and I have owned a lot" 

 

Josh 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joshnich said:

I happen to own a pair of Rivals. I know nothing of the forum issues with Greg alluded to here.  To me the Rivals are by far the best speakers I have owned period. Seems like the folks here who have actually heard them have positive reactions. The ones that haven't resort to personally bashing Greg. Pretty bush league if you ask me. 

 

Like Justin said - to each their own. And what I say " I like what I have and I have owned a lot" 

 

Josh 

Well, you apparently haven't read all the posts and state that everyone is personally bashing Greg.  Greg did have some wars over crossover design in the past.  No bashing from me because to each their own.

 

I haven't heard the speakers but I can tell in the crossover region between the woofer and mid horn along with mid output vs treble, I think it should be smoother, particularly in that price class.  

 

I admire he has the nerve to create a business out of it.  If I had a following that he is building, I would work on tightening that crossover up (if the drivers allow it) and smoothing out the response.  He would get much better press and likely increase his sales.  Use the gift that John Atkinson provided with a high quality set of measurements and get a follow up in Stereophile.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Schu said:

I don't think folks assume they sound bad.... that is completely missing the point.

OK, so what exactly IS the point?  I'm not defending or confirming anyone's designs, etc, here, but I just don't get it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lets not lose our heads here folks. They look like beautifully made speakers and with our taste for Cornwalls probably have a very familiar character. And leave it at that -

--- And isn't  this the perfect quote - " imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 minute ago, richieb said:

Lets not lose our heads here folks. They look like beautifully made speakers and with our taste for Cornwalls probably have a very familiar character. And leave it at that -

--- And isn't  this the perfect quote - " imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ". 

Not always. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Monday, June 05, 2017 at 3:51 PM, joshnich said:

I happ. en to own a pjealou. I know nothing of the forum issues with Greg alludcustomered to here.  To me the Rivals are by far the best speakers I have owned period. Seems like the folks here who have actually heard them have positive reactions. The ones that haven't resort to personally bashing Greg. Pretty bush league if you ask me. 

 

Like Justin said - to each their own. And what I say " I like what I have and I have owned a lot" 

 

Josh 

 

Josh',

       Good for you.....much of the uproar in my opinion is flat out jealousy. Greg had the vision to see an opertunity to do something he enjoys while making a few bucks and others recent him for doing so.  I say good for him for having the balls. He really is not vying for the same customers as Klipsch for the most part. Most of his customer base would put there nose way up in the air at anything Klipsch! Face it in the general audiphile world Klipsch is not all that well thought of :(

  I'm surprised you don't own the Vittora speakers! Greg's stuff really does sound great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, jimjimbo said:

OK, so what exactly IS the point?  I'm not defending or confirming anyone's designs, etc, here, but I just don't get it.

I believe the point is that many people believe he went from refinishing Klipsch speakers to building Klipsch "inspired" speakers.  Some see it as a rip off.  His crossovers seem to be a derivative of Als as well.  I'm not passing judgment either rather trying to explain others feelings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I believe the point is that many people believe he went from refinishing Klipsch speakers to building Klipsch "inspired" speakers.  Some see it as a rip off.  His crossovers seem to be a derivative of Als as well.  I'm not passing judgment either rather trying to explain others feelings.

Correct.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...