WTB: RB75's or RB81's series 2

InVeNtOr

hey there,

anyone have a pair just sitting around collecting dust? would like to have a pair of RB-75's or RB-81's series 2. 

the reason for those 2 choices is because there is a massive ET center and only a book shelf speaker will do.  it was also built not deep enough, so they will have to be front ported. the center channel is a RC64ii, that's why i need the book shelf's to be a series 2. the ET center takes up the entire wall, so a Floor standing speaker won't work.

oh, Wife doesn't want a lot of speakers "showing".  WAF, can't over come that....

thanks for the link!

am i being cheap, or are those a little over priced? $850? don't confuse that with, i'm sure we will attempt to buy them, but i really thought they would be around the $600 range.  they are not even the "2" series and add in the fact, no boxes....

his ad says local pick up, so, we'll contact him and see how it goes.

thanks again!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5666497086.html

This guy has been reposting for about 6 months, started around $500 and has been slowly dropping his price.

Full disclosure, the phone number looks familiar, I think it's the same guy that gave me the run around on an rc-7 for a week. I replied immediately to a post and ended up in a week long game of when do you want to meet, oh wait I think my brother wants it, no wait you can come pick it up, sorry I guess my brother does want it, and on and on and on until I finally just stopped replying to him.

thanks for the link!

am i being cheap, or are those a little over priced? $850? don't confuse that with, i'm sure we will attempt to buy them, but i really thought they would be around the $600 range. they are not even the "2" series and add in the fact, no boxes....

his ad says local pick up, so, we'll contact him and see how it goes.

thanks again!

RB-75 never had a "2" series. That was the only bookshelf made with the 1.75" compression driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Grizzog

well, the seller of the RB75's does clearly state he won't ship.  i had my guy ask anyway and he stuck to his guns...

is there anyone local that wants to buy these and then resell them? my buddy has already said he would compensate anyone who would.  if someone is serious, i'll give you his contact info and let you guys talk it out. 

Scrappy,

that's the same ad i was given earlier.  we have already spoken with the guy and he will not ship them!

Fish,

i saw those, but i'm being told the RB-75's will pair with the RC64II the best.  will the RB-81II's do just as well? will there be any issues pairing those with the RC64II? i've never heard either one, closest i've come is RB-61's!

if some knows for a fact the 81's will work every bit just as good as the 75's, please let me know! THANKS!

I would not be the best guy to ask.I would pay little mind to matching 64 with 81, would not bother me one bit. I bought a pair of rb5 ll new for 350, thats more my kind of deal. Just an opinion, to each their own, good luck.

That's like saying the rf-82ii will do just as good as the rf-7ii. The tweeter vs compression driver is no comparison in my opinion. And where are you at in Oklahoma? Or is that even where you were from?

Ask williand he has owned both I think. Lots of very passionate RB-75 owners out there.

Ask williand he has owned both I think. Lots of very passionate RB-75 owners out there.

if some knows for a fact the 81's will work every bit just as good as the 75's, please let me know! THANKS!

I have not owned the RB-81's or RB-81II's but have heard them and think they sound wonderful.  I have owned the RB-35's(twice) and think they are great speakers also.  I own/have owned RB-5's(three pairs) and think they are the best bang for the buck(used market) Reference bookshelf speakers Klipsch has produced.

With all that said, I think the RB-75's are in a class of their own with their heft(32 pounds), 1.75" titanium compression driver, real wood veneer, and overall big sound for a "bookshelf" speaker.

Of course this is one man's opinion so take that for what it is.

InVeNtOr,

If you can get your hands on a pair of 75's, they will definitely be the best timbre to match the RC-64II. 

Bill

The 75's blow away the 81 II's. The 81's sound like a bookshelf speaker where the 75's have a much larger presence to them, near tower like quality in a small package. I had purchased a brand new set of the 81 II's and was using them everyday in my bedroom system and after 6 months or so had the chance to pick up a set of 75's. After about a half an hour or so with the 75's I boxed up the 81's and put them up or sale. It's not a small difference in sound quality.

i'm not from Oklahoma, i just ended up here though God's path. 

Willand, will the RB5's match the 64? he has these weird speaker cubbys, so, how much space do they need from the wall? i really don't think they have enough room, but i haven't seen this ET center yet.

he is searching for 75's now and that 1 guy who owns a pair, won't ship.  i even put a post out there to ask a forum member to buy them and my guy will pay you to ship them.  no takers yet.

I can chime in here and say that, while the RB-5s are fine speakers, they would not be a good match. The voicing is very different. Also, they're rear ported.

If you're using this system mostly for HT, I think the RB-81s will match well enough. They won't deliver the thick, detailed midrange that the RB-75 has, but voicing will be similar and they're just nice, high output bookshelf speakers. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Also, take a look around for RB-35s. Voicing will be a bit different, but still a solid, front-ported model and a better match than RB-5.