If you're going to kill the king...

fuzzydog

I tell ya, even though it sucks with my closest grocery store 25  miles away, and the closest Chinese Buffet 50 miles away, It's great to live in "Deep East TX".

People "over there" are very predisposed to killing each other.

I am not sufficiently learned to comment past that.

Lars  

I hadn't seen anything until I read that here.  Wow!  This is big.

Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency says that 17 police officers have been killed in a helicopter attack on police special forces headquarters on the outskirts of Ankara.  Loud explosions were heard earlier in Turkey's capital after the military said it seized full control of the country.

But government officials, including President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, tried to play down reports that the military was in control.

Erdogan called for citizens to take to the streets in a show of support for the government, and said the coup attempt would be unsuccessful.

Geez, so the Turkish government says a bunch of military guys are out driving around in tanks, jets and helicopters, shooting up the parliament building, and the president wants the citizens to run out in the middle of the street to show support? 

I think not.  :blink:

Edited by wvu80

I think he was counting on the military not being willing to shoot up a bunch of civilians.

Gack!  If you're right, nice of the prez to cover that bet with the lives of his supporters.  :wacko:

If it were me, I think I'd wait in my house and read about it in the newspapers the next morning.

Edited by wvu80

Put it in terms of the United States: 

A Colonel in the army gets fired, then a couple days later he comes back and convinces 29 other colonels and 5 generals to drive around in some tanks, grab a chopper and shoot up the barracks where the Police Special Forces is headquartered killing seventeen.  Capitol Hill, where congress meets, is bombed.  The Secretary of State gets kidnapped.

The official state media CNN studio is then attacked by the army and taken over, all the CNN reporters are all made to leave.  Later the reporters return to the TV studio and resume broadcasting.

Meanwhile, the President runs off to New York City while proclaiming everything is under control, and asks everyone in Washington, DC to run into the streets to show support for the government.  The majority of people killed in the coup are civilians.

The President, having survived the coup, now feels fully justified in grabbing more political power and becomes more autocratic like a dictator.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to live like that.  It boggles the mind.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Put it in terms of the United States: 

A Colonel in the army gets fired, then a couple days later he comes back and convinces 29 other colonels and 5 generals to drive around in some tanks, grab a chopper and shoot up the barracks where the Police Special Forces is headquartered killing seventeen.  Capitol Hill, where congress meets, is bombed.  The Secretary of State gets kidnapped.

The official state media CNN studio is then attacked by the army and taken over, all the CNN reporters are all made to leave.  Later the reporters return to the TV studio and resume broadcasting.

Meanwhile, the President runs off to New York City while proclaiming everything is under control, and asks everyone in Washington, DC to run into the streets to show support for the government.  The majority of people killed in the coup are civilians.

The President, having survived the coup, now feels fully justified in grabbing more political power and becomes more autocratic like a dictator.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to live like that.  It boggles the mind.

That would be a sight to see. In all seriousness it would not be the least bit funny but in a weird coexistance this would be going on...

John Kerry would not have a clue what is going on and would be asking to meet with Kim Jong Un.....totally unrelated to anything going on.

Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper would be in their speedos on set chasing each other around with squirt guns, all the time Anderson is giggling like a little girl...Kathy Griffin is offering sex to all of the captors.

The House of Representatives would think this was a good time for a sit in and they would demand that Vladimir Putin be present....also totally unrelated to anything going on.

Yes, it is a strange world we live in!!

• Like 1