guess what I am up to (Plum Crazy)

Matthews

10 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I'm thinking "Plum Crazy" but I know better than to doubt your vision. You've tried many things I wouldn't and they always turn out great. I would imagine that the mahogany and cane will look amazing together. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Every time, about a 1/4 way into these restorations, that is exactly what I am thinking too, Sir Mookie.  "Plum Crazy" :wacko: Luckily, that is just at the point of no return, in more ways than one. 

Once I finally reach staining, the excitement builds again.  Can't wait to see how these turn out!  Starting to wonder if this pair will turn into my "keepers" and the Cherry's will go to market?  They are going to be NICE!  Cane material is on its way from MojoTone.  Everything needed for completion on hand.  All minor details now - WooHoo !!!  Oh wait, not so fast.  That BRUTAL cane.  I am going to start calling that step "meat tenderizing", my poor nubs

Stain update photos this afternoon...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Perhaps the most difficult stain project I have ever attempted.  This one wore me slick!!!  - UHG-  It's break time :wacko:

stained.jpg

With some imagination, you can almost picture what these beauties are going to look like with the cane grills.  -WOW factor-

grl-mockup1.jpg

Wait a couple of days for these to cure and here comes the gloss poly :emotion-21:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 4

Couldn't stand it!  Had to put the 1st coat on. 

1st-coat.jpg

I think these are going to be quite dreamy.   Have been tossing around the idea of keeping them and selling the current Cherry flavors.  That thought has been extinguished.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Well, you were right, the plum mahogany and cane go well together. Actually "fantastic" is more accurate. I see you couldn't wait for the new fabric and stole from your other LS's, they look naked.

Thanks Mookie!  They really did turn out well.  Was skeptical at first but no regrets.  Yeah, I had to steal the grills to see what they are going to actually look like :ph34r:  -  The cane should be here tomorrow and will complete them this weekend.  It is a grueling process to do all six of them so will need to devote most of the day Saturday. 

Mids, tweets and crossovers installed today.  They bass bins will have to wait for the weekend.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Beautiful.... great combo of the cabinet color and cane.   Thinking about pricing yet? 

Thanks Jim :emotion-21:

Not too sure about price just yet.  May already have a buyer.  The fella who bought the "Black Betty's" really wants these too.  The wife and an 18 hour round trip are obstacles for him at the moment.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Am I an idiot to ask how do you do the la bella? I saw the frame for the grill, but how about the center panel? By the way, they look friggin great.

Thanks "dtr" :)   -  No, but I am not sure I understand your question. "the center panel".  The center is part of the doghouse for the bass bin that is original and unchanged.  Just a little bit of elbow grease and spit shine.  

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

2 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

The pictures make the center panel of the bass bin look flat like the belle, instead of coming to a point like the la scala, but maybe it's an illusion from the really shiny finish.

Indeed it is, an optical illusion.  Funny you should mention.  Went through the same problem photographing the "Black Betty's".  They were listed on eBay and had to answer the same question, multiple times.  Finally just edited the listing to explain the "illusion". 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

14 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Thinking about pricing yet? 

After careful consideration, yes...

The "Black Betty's" went for $1550.  Edition "Plum Crazy" are MUCH nicer, close to flawless given a 30 year old specimen.  A much more desirable finish with higher "WAF" to boot. 

If the current interested party decides to pass, these beauties will be priced as follows:

- with eBay buyer protection in place (aka fees) $2195

- local cash or PP/FF $1900

I know the right buyer is out there. It may take time, which I have plenty of.  The hard part, getting the right light for fantastic photos :wacko:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1