Best ceiling speakers for Atmos?

uscpsycho

I need some advice choosing between Klipsch in-ceilings for Atmos.

On their FAQ page, Klipsch states "The Klipsch CDT-5650-C II and CDT-5800-C II in-ceiling speakers are two particularly great speakers for Dolby Atmos because of their Controlled Dispersion Technology". The CDT speakers are from the Reference line but I am putting their Pro 6000 line in my walls and think it would be better to put their Pro 6000 speakers in my ceiling as well.

I'm choosing between the CDT-5800-C II and the Pro-6803-C

Anything about the 6803 speaker that makes it unsuitable for Atmos? Or anything about the 5800 that makes it better than the 6803? Both have components that can be aimed which I know is beneficial for Atmos ceiling speakers and both have "controlled dispersion technology". (If for some reason it is a better choice for Atmos I could go with the Pro 6800-C.)

TIA!

Here are my thoughts:

Pros for the pros:

1. The pro is a 3 way with an 2 setting tweeter attenuation and 3 speaker impedance settings.
  2. The pro has a lighter neo magnet.
  3. The pro has silk dome tweeter and midrange which would have wide dispersion compared to the CDT which has a tiny Tractrix horn.
  4. The pro matches the timbre of the other speakers in your proposed system.

Pros for the reference: 

1. With the CDT you can aim the woofer and the tweeter independently.
  • Like 1

If you can, do 1 speaker at a time, so you can listen to the difference installed side by side. You might be the only person who will ever be able to tell us how they compare outside Klipsch itself.  

FWIW, I prefer the sound of Titanium tweeters over soft dome, but many people like dome best...

Edited by mustang guy

Here are my thoughts:

Pros for the pros:

1. The pro is a 3 way with an 2 setting tweeter attenuation and 3 speaker impedance settings.
  2. The pro has a lighter neo magnet.
  3. The pro has silk dome tweeter and midrange which would have wide dispersion compared to the CDT which has a tiny Tractrix horn.
  4. The pro matches the timbre of the other speakers in your proposed system.

Pros for the reference: 

1. With the CDT you can aim the woofer and the tweeter independently.

So I screwed up. The killer deal I found is on all Pro 6000 series speakers but doesn't include the 6803-C. I'm looking for a comparable deal on the 6803 but if I can't I'll go with the 6800. I really had my mind set on the 6803 but it probably doesn't make a huge difference if I have to step down since they're being used for Atmos height speakers. And I don't think the demand placed on height speakers is all that great.

Unless someone has a reason why the 5800-C is better for Atmos than the 6800-C. 

OK, so let me send my own thread off topic for a minute rather than start a new-but-related thread.

I think I've made up my mind to use 6800-C for the Atmos height speakers in my theater but I have another room that I'm putting a surround system in which requires in-ceiling surrounds. This is my main TV watching room. Will I notice a difference between 6803 and 6800 ceiling speakers in surround duty? Ceiling is 10 feet high in this room. Are 6803 worth the splurge?

As far as timber matching, the object based info in the Atmos speakers is not reprduce in the main speakers and is not as important.  As with FH speaker, matching size of the Atmos to the other speaker is a consideration.  I know when I had to small of FH speakers they might as well, not even be in the system.