Something new, Ohm Walsh Tall

YK Thom

Took a leap of faith and have ordered a pair of the new Ohm Walsh Tall 2000s. A complete change of direction but curiosity and all that...

A very different design and concept that just might have legs with my evolving tastes and listening habits. Was thinking about a pair of RF-7 IIs but no good deals to be found in Canada. Have been sitting on the fence for a couple months and have decided to try the Ohms, another iconic American speaker.

Dealt directly with John Strohbeen, who is president and head designer( and has been since the 70s). Sort of a

PWK/Bob Crites rolled into one within the Ohm universe. Will post my thoughts once I have them.

Edited by YK Thom

Those are some interesting looking speakers. Is the bottom of the thing kinda like a subwoofer/bass bin.

Let us know how you like 'em. If I were a Canadian, I would be looking at Paradigm. I have had lots, and have never been disappointed. That Prestige 95F is a thing of beauty. I have no clue how it sounds, as my neighbors who sell Paradigm usually only have the bookshelf stuff on the floor. 

• Like 1

The paradigms are nice for sure. I wanted to try something different that has a wider soundstage and sounds good off axis. I had been intrigued with much I have read about thier new lines re clarity and musicality. They do have a 120 day home trial period so they can go back if they don't fit the bill. You are correct about the body of the speaker; the downward firing driver sends lower notes downward through the tuned ported box (ported underneath the speaker). It gives them good extended bass, meaning I should be able to retire my sub from music duties.

Specs are within the ballpark of the RF-7II :

2000 Tall: 32-20,000

RF-7II: 30-24,000

Unlike thier legacy products they are now more a 180 or so rather than a 360 speaker making them much easier to place. The WAF is huge as they look like nice wooden pillars with a small footprint.

With an 88db sensitivity, they would not be anywhere near as loud as the 101db RF-7's using the same amount of power. That might have been the problem with your old speakers which were low sensitivity as well with their 89db sensitivity.

For every 3db gain, the power is doubled. So for an RF-7, at 1 watt of power, the 2000 would require 16 watts. For 2 watts on the RF-7, the 2000 would require 32 watts. For 4 watts of power, the 2000 would require 64 watts. For 8 watts of power on the RF-7, the 2000 would require 128 watts. At about 10 watts on the RF-7, you have reached the limit of how loud the 2000 could play IF you had a 200 watt signal, which your system isn't even capable of.

• Like 1

With an 88db sensitivity, they would not be anywhere near as loud as the 101db RF-7's using the same amount of power. That might have been the problem with your old speakers which were low sensitivity as well with their 89db sensitivity.

For every 3db gain, the power is doubled. So for an RF-7, at 1 watt of power, the 2000 would require 16 watts. For 2 watts on the RF-7, the 2000 would require 32 watts. For 4 watts of power, the 2000 would require 64 watts. For 8 watts of power on the RF-7, the 2000 would require 128 watts. At about 10 watts on the RF-7, you have reached the limit of how loud the 2000 could play IF you had a 200 watt signal, which your system isn't even capable of.

Loudness is irrelevant to me and not a factor. I live in a high rise condo tower and listening is done at moderate levels, occasionally high moderate. As I mentioned initially , my tastes and listening habits have changed with age and lifestyle. I'm more interested in realistic uncoloured presentation. Once these bad boys show up, I'll post my honest thoughts about them. My current system is four Klipsch 61RB IIs with a RC62II centre and small Klipsch sub. Edited by YK Thom
  • Like 1

Wide sound stage, good for moderate levels though will need good power for that.  Placement fairly picky and likely not to be uncolored as other speakers but they will probably perfect for a condo if you feed them well and can find a good location for them.  For sure, let us know your appraisal.

• Like 1

Wide sound stage, good for moderate levels though will need good power for that.  Placement fairly picky and likely not to be uncolored as other speakers but they will probably perfect for a condo if you feed them well and can find a good location for them.  For sure, let us know your appraisal.

They are 6ohm speakers rated at 88db, the Ohm folk say that my 100watt per Marantz will drive them. Would you suggest I keep an eye open for a higher powered amp/receiver down the road? If so, what sort of power do you think would be ideal?

If I wanted higher (moderate as pz said) levels, I would be getting more efficient speakers. Going from 100 watts to 200 watts will only add 3db. Using something like Cornwall II's would add 14db or Klipschorns would add 17db with the same amp.

Don't think I'm on some bandwagon to tell you to go buy different speakers. I bet the Ohms are great in every way. However, they weren't designed to play high spl or they would be able to handle a LOT more power or they would be more efficient. 

The Ohm Tall has a peak SPL of 111 db with a 200 watt signal. With a 100 watt signal, the peak SPL calculates to 108db. If your amp really only outputs 75 watts, then the Ohms will be capable of 106.7db peaks.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

What I am looking at is the quality of the highs / mids and the punch from bottom end.  A good high current amp will be able to do this.

If you lust after midrange without the top and bottom, many amps will work, especially if you only need to listen at moderate levels due to the speaker's efficiency.  For a condo, probably 93 db would be annoying the neighbors. 

• Like 1

What I am looking at is the quality of the highs / mids and the punch from bottom end.  A good high current amp will be able to do this.

If you lust after midrange without the top and bottom, many amps will work, especially if you only need to listen at moderate levels due to the speaker's efficiency.  For a condo, probably 93 db would be annoying the neighbors. 

At a 15' distance the peak of an 88db speaker is 93db with a 75 watt signal. So that works!

Everybody knows you can only piss your neighbors off with Klipsch.   :)

edit:  "Ohm" I God, did I just make a pun?

Edited by mustang guy

What I am looking at is the quality of the highs / mids and the punch from bottom end. A good high current amp will be able to do this.

If you lust after midrange without the top and bottom, many amps will work, especially if you only need to listen at moderate levels due to the speaker's efficiency. For a condo, probably 93 db would be annoying the neighbors.

At a 15' distance the peak of an 88db speaker is 93db with a 75 watt signal. So that works!

Everybody knows you can only piss your neighbors off with Klipsch. :)

edit: "Ohm" I God, did I just make a pun?

You did indeed, and a very good one at that! Thanks for for insight and input.

Edited by YK Thom

• 3 months later...

A bit of a bump and update.

i didn't really care for the first veneer samples sent to me by Ohm Accoustics. Living where I do in the far north, mail is beyond slow. Second choice was the Rosewood which is a much better match to my existent wood furniture. My Ohm Walsh Tall 2000s are being built next week and should be here in early December. I will write a synopsis of my impressions once they are set up properly and going.

• 3 weeks later...

Should be quite a shock to the auditory system, going from the RB61's to the Ohm's...or vice-versa for that matter!  Some of my favorite speakers over the years have also been very different in dispersive characteristics:  Klipsch horn-based systems on one hand and things like ESS amt's and Bose 901's on the other.  I've always thought it was interesting that such different designs can be more or less equally compelling.  

• Like 1

Years ago, I had a chance on a pristine pair of F's.  So tempted, but I passed.  It's always the money! :)  In fact I used to think I wanted to assemble a stable of all my favorite, most iconic (to me at least) speakers.  And I have had a lot of them...just not at the same time! :D  But I digress...

I will be interested in reading your thoughts on the new Ohms, and on the whole quasi-omni vs. quasi-controlled directivity thing. 

• Like 1