Something new, Ohm Walsh Tall

YK Thom

Speakers have arrived in the great white north (literally, it's been snowing for over 24 hours). Unfortunately I have to fly down to Ottawa tomorrow for a conference and won't be able to debox and set them up until this weekend. Something to look forward to and keep me distracted the rest of the week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with few major work fires to put out and was just able to get them home from the office today. I did have concerns about these making the long journey from New York intact. I needn't have- these bad boys are packed for the ages. Triple boxed with a set of heavy duty cardboard corner protectors within each of the three boxes! The first inner box was also protected with thin pressboard sheets. This was a near two hour process getting them deboxed. They are immaculate. Three trips down to the large garbage downstairs (I'm on the tenth floor), and I'm just about ready to swap out the RB61 IIs, hook them up and rerun Audessy. Thus far I am seriously impressed and best of all, my wife loves the look of them! The veneer selection I settled on - Rosewood, nearly perfectly matches our furniture, most of which is mango wood which is a closely related species.

updates to follow but so far so good.

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Ooooh, is that s Siamese or Himalayan you have?

btw, nice looking speakers.

Bruce

She is a Balanese , the long haired vairiant of the Siamese. Great cat, and like all of them attracted to boxes like moths to porch lights. The speakers are even nicer in real life, heavy as hell and dead solid. STILL haven't heard them yet! Had to host and MC a 25th anniversary reception for my work tonight and have Christmas dinner for the board and shareholders tomorrow. Wednesday it will be...the universe keeps throwing obstacles my way. At least they are here in my living room.

Was able to get off work early today and did the initial set up. Going to redo the overall set up and cable management on the weekend. First thoughts...nice. Voices are very natural and the level of detail is high. They are as clear as the Klipsch in this regard. I had some concerns about this but needn't have. Surprisingly enough they actually mesh with my RC62 II centre effortlessly. I am amazed to tell you the truth. They do not seem to be coloured in any way. They are more than competent with TV and I suspect the situation will be the same with movies. I've listened to some music this afternoon and they shine big time. Very well balanced and dead natural. I've listened to a couple jazz CDs and could not be more impressed. Aside from being a bit more natural sounding than my RB61 IIs the real pleasure is the vastly increased sweet spot. The sound feels very full and enveloping regardless of where I am in the room. Off axis in the dining room was a shocker, I don't know how but is seems nice and full there as well. They recommend a minimum 100 hours break in but they seem pretty damn good right out of the box. Will have to noodle around with placement over the next while but they seem to be performing very well in the exact positions I had the Klipsch. Very much looking forward to the weekend, going to be listening to a lot of music. Time to dig out the Hanukkah CDs !

• Like 1

Did some more placement fine tuning this evening and brought out some favourite holiday CDs. Very impressed; one of my favourites, Kenny Ellis Hanukkah Swings (jazzy big band style) completely encompassed the room. Great album.. I'm hearing things

in the recording I had never heard before and at one point got up to double check the centre wasn't on. The imagining and phantom centre effect is tangible.

31 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Thanks for posting this. I've been enthralled with OHM Walsh speakers since I first heard them in the fall of 1974. I've been thinking about getting a set for a long time. 

Glad you like them.

Mark

Thanks Mark, they really are nice. Listening to 4 cd set "75 Years of Blue Note Records" jazz set I picked up down in Ottawa a few weeks ago as I type. I'm still a fan of Klipsch products but these were a nice change in the living room. They really mesh well with my listening environment and habits. Not for everyone I'm sure but they are a great fit for us. Well worth the money. I now fully understand the term musical as applied to loudspeakers. I'd put them up against my buddies Pro Acs anytime.

8 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Thanks Mark, they really are nice. Listening to 4 cd set "75 Years of Blue Note Records" jazz set I picked up down in Ottawa a few weeks ago as I type. I'm still a fan of Klipsch products but these were a nice change in the living room. They really mesh well with my listening environment and habits. Not for everyone I'm sure but they are a great fit for us. Well worth the money. I now fully understand the term musical as applied to loudspeakers. I'd put them up against my buddies Pro Acs anytime.

I'm still enjoying these. Listening to some jazz right now. 

IMG_0339%20(1)-XL.jpg

Enjoy your evening. It's really all about the music.

Mark

• Like 1

I owned the Ohm 2000's prior to getting my Heresy's. I would like to make a couple of suggestions based on your photo:

1. Do not toe them in. The tweeters already fire at a 45 degree angle when they are not toed in. You should be having a lot of sound being bounced off the face of the TV with your current amount of toe in.

2. Move the left speaker out to be at least even with the front of the cabinet, and a bit further if you can tolerate it. Then make the right speaker be the same distance from the wall behind it. The Ohms perform best when they are clear of any obstructions between them and their 180 degree forward radiation is as unimpeded as possible.

Hopefully you will then get the benefit of their intended frequency balance and a stable sweet spot as wide as the distance between the speakers.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your speakers.

• Like 2

Well I've the Talls in use for over a week a now and have over 100 hours on them (the recommended  break in time). Perhaps a slight difference - I've always thought the break in thing was really more a matter of your own hearing getting used to a different sound rather than something mechanical. A bit more placement fine tuning and I'm now satisfied. Really enjoying the wide soundstage and the highly detailed sound. One thing I will add is that I have never heard any speaker sound this good off axis. Our dining room table is about 13 feet diagonally to the right of the listening area and during dinner last night the sound still seems very full. They seem to be ideal for filling a room with sound while you are moving around and doing things. You are not chained to a small sweet spot directly in front. These will most certainly not be going back. Keepers all day long. 

Next project is finding a half decent 12 outlet surge protector power bar and new DVD/blue ray unit before I completely finish up with tidying up a massive wire mess behind the av unit.

• Like 1