K400

mr.pee1

Not having hearing La Scalas before the sound is new to me

Congrats on your new toys :emotion-21::D:emotion-21:

You are going to love them, I do...

The La Scala are unforgiving, they will make a "bad" recording sound even worse, horrible I say.  However, put in a good recording, no matter the genre, prepare to be melted into your seat. Pure, sweet candy!  I have had a lot of different speakers.  Not veering away again, only the Scala for me.  My tombstone may likely read, "Here lye's Matthews and his beloved La Scala's" :P

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

I have never noticed a "ring" nor found the need.  Others will disagree...

It is my thinking that if the horn is mounted properly, no issues.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Why would Klipsch produce the K401 with built in damping if the K400 doesn't ring?

tc

Edited by IB Slammin

So why deaden the k 400 horn? Does it ring that much?

I think what you have heard has to do with the stock LaScala crossover and tweeter rather than the horn itself resonating as it is heavy cast metal. The original tweeter was quite fragile which caused PWK to have to cross the K-400 horn very high which caused some issues with harshness and is a common complaint with stock LaScalas. Bob Crites makes some great aftermarket tweeters that can handle a lower crossover point and a matching A4500 crossover. I bought my LaScalas used in which the previous owner already did this upgrade and all I hear is live music in my room. 

The cost for sure. But why build in damping if they didn't think it was better?

MARKETING.  Why did they replace the time tested  zipcord with Monster cable?  MARKETING, not because it was a needed "improvement."  Similarly, why did Klipsch build speakers with bi-wire capability?  Again, MARKETING trumped science.  Bi-wiring is total Yellow Button, but the same customers who welcomed Monster Cable also welcomed bi-wire.  Such superfluous BS did not put off the knowledgeable customers, so why not throw the marketing people some bones?

Edited by DizRotus

Take a bare K400, hang it from a string, tap it with a metal object and it will ring like a bell.  However, properly mount it in your La Scalas -- secured at both ends and tap it again with a metal object and you will just hear a thud.  As long as you're not tapping the horn while you are playing music, you won't hear any noises you don't want to hear.

• Like 2

The cost for sure. But why build in damping if they didn't think it was better?

MARKETING.  Why did they replace the time tested  zipcord with Monster cable?  MARKETING, not because it was a needed "improvement."  Similarly, why did Klipsch build speakers with bi-wire capability?  Again, MARKETING trumped science.  Bi-wiring is total yellow button, but the same customers who welcomed Monster Cable also welcomed bi-wire.  Such superfluous BS did not put off the knowledgeable customers, so why not throw the marketing people some bones?

Great examples and I'll buy that.

tc

• Like 3

Take a bare K400, hang it from a string, tap it with a metal object and it will ring like a bell. However, properly mount it in your La Scalas -- secured at both ends and tap it again with a metal object and you will just hear a thud. As long as you're not tapping the horn while you are playing music, you won't hear any noises you don't want to hear.

The only ringing that I have heard is when s s equipment is used. I had 100 watts on tap . the ringing is not the horn . but when the LA Scala are pushed w/ more power, the ringing was the reverb

Off the wall. So when you get or have a pair . please listen to sound in between the speakers. Than what comes out of them . unless you are listening to ac/DC Hell's bells!

Edited by dirtmudd

Oh I have ringing in my ears from being 60 ft from a 12 foot band

saw for 12 years . As far as turning it down the gauge I use is when pictures start falling off of the wall then it back off one number on the volume.

Edited by mr.pee1
  • Like 1

I was not sure about the ringing so when I refurbished my Ks.  I sanded the casting seams and used rust oleum enamel on the inside and out after that there was a noticeable different thud un mounted with the horn. So just painting them made them better and a plus they looked awesome.

While it was very messy getting in the throat section it can be done. That enamel is some tough stuff I also put it on the out side of the bass bin in the back and all the boards I could get to. I tested it on some metal before to see how it did,,,i could not even mare or scratch it. But it takes 2 days to dry between coats.