K400

mr.pee1

It'll seduce you and promise to call, but it never rings.

:emotion-21: :emotion-21:

My 2 cents would be to tame the sidewalls from resonating.  (I sometimes wonder if that is what people are hearing and attribute it to the midhorn??)

Those are some big panels on the sides of the speaker.  If you can brace them you will think that you've found another octave of bass when in fact what you are then hearing is already there....just masked by the noise of their vibration.

In a LSI cabinet, the K400 is mounted via 6 bolts to a 1/2" plywood frame only 1/2 wide at points, secured to two wood cleats by only 4 wood screws. Not nearly the stabilization from the surrounding cabinet that a stock LS has. I've rope-caulked my minty LSI's and think it makes a difference. I didn't bother with my home models. 

Get in there with a long socket extension on deep well socket and crank those nuts down guys. A drop of loctite wouldn't hurt either. 

M

• Like 1

It'll seduce you and promise to call, but it never rings.

:emotion-21: :emotion-21:

My 2 cents would be to tame the sidewalls from resonating.  (I sometimes wonder if that is what people are hearing and attribute it to the midhorn??)

Those are some big panels on the sides of the speaker.  If you can brace them you will think that you've found another octave of bass when in fact what you are then hearing is already there....just masked by the noise of their vibration.

Again on the LSI-BG models, things are different - you have fibreglass matting and gel which adds some stiffness and mass, but most importantly there is that angular aluminum edge that is glued and screwed. I think this adds quite a bit of strength to the mouth of that horn. Not so on the home models - just thump on it and hear that 2x2' panel vibrate. 

• Like 1

So why deaden the k 400 horn? Does it ring that much?

Play music at decent loudness.  Reach behind and grab the horn throat in front of the K-55.  If you feel vibration, you can also hear it.  Damp well and enjoy.  My best adjectives are calmer, less brittle sounding (I know, stupid reviewer words, but I didn't use rhythm and pace.  It's really a reduction in higher harmonics added to the sound by the horn's resonance.).  OLD Altec and other horns had tar added to the outer surface to damp ringing.  I guess it's too messy and expensive now days. 

Repeat and place your hand on top of the cabinet.  Stuff squawker/tweeter cavity TIGHTLY with poly fiberfill.  You should be able to hear that difference, too. 

Repeat and place your hand on the side of the bass horn near the mouth.  Those vibes can he stopped with braces to the doghouse, but that is too ugly for my tastes, now that mine are finished. 

I posted this in me LS refurb thread, but was looking at my K400 horns. About a foot inside, there is a ridge from the casting process on all four sides. I am going to file them out, You normally can't see them, but if you reach your hand in there...

Bruce

post-5045-0-11620000-1469026936_thumb.jp