The Pioneer SC 99 Initial Impressions

derrickdj1

I've been eyeing a new avr for months.  I knew I wanted a Pioneers Elite but, wasn't sure which one.  Just went looking last night to see if BB had the SC 95 or 91.  They had one 91 but, no preouts and what to do with the 5 channel Acurus amp.  BB had slim pickings, the only other was two Elite 99's. 

I brought the flagship SC 99 home after careful questions on the return policy.  It's a big sucker like the SC 35.  What features lead to the purchase?  Sub EQ, Full band phase control, Atmos and a few others.  It was late so I just sat it in the HT last night.  This morning I did a quick setup.

Setup can be confusing due to the Atmos and the numerous configurations.  You can read the 151 page manual, lol.  Luckily I was familiar with most of the setup since it is similar to the SC 35.  Then came autocalibration with MCACC Pro.  This went a bit faster than MCACC.

The sub setup consisted of full bandwidth phase control, PEQ/DSP, and standing wave control.  MCACC did a great job calibrating the system and is definitely several steps above MCACC.  It appears to EQ the subs below 20 Hz to my surprise.  It also EQ the left and right side  separately in the .2 option is chose.

Music:  Norha Jone just came alive and the sound was projected to the MLP with authority 20 ft. away.  The full band phase control gives great imaging and separation and perfect bass, tight and clean.  Nick Colionne, Celine Dion finished the music session off just as nice.

Movies:  Transformers Age of Extinction was even more dynamic than before.  Increase TR with a lower sub trim.  Dialogue clear and sharp.  No harshness to the sound.  I almost lost a lamp and two table top pieces.  The picture quality was excellent just like the SC 35.  War of The Worlds and the second Tron where very immersive also.

If any one is looking for a good HT and music avr, the Pioneer's avr with MCACC Pro are no joke, they are better than good at getting great sound!  I am sure I will be learning new things over the next few month after I get the Atmos speakers setup 9.2.2, wires ran, the fun stuff. :(

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 7

Nice review! Can the sub EQ replace the DSP control on your iNukes?

The sub EQ is pretty good.  I need more time to just see how good.  But, after MCACC Pro, it only took around 15 min. to finish off the EQ which is better than the hours it use to take.

Why 9.2.2 instead of 7.2.4? I hear everyone say two overheads is a joke compared to 4

I'm think of some speaker above the mains and some back near the seating area.  From reading the SVS site, the FH high up on the wall will be close to Atmos with the decoding.  This is all still up in the air.  I just want to make use of my in-wall speakers that have been sitting taking up space.

Interesting….I will need to update my AVR soon. It's nice to read a positive review, maybe I'll check out Pioneer.

The Elite avrs are definitely worth the look.  I helped someone calibrate with Auddysee a week or two ago. I can't compare the two because I've not spent enough time with it.  I did like it.  I definitely think the phase control thing will squeak at few more db using the same power to decrease cancellation issues along with the standing wave control.

I knew Quiet Hollow and Schu are big music people and their review of the SC 85 was what had me thinking time to upgrade.  The DAC is outstanding in this system with the digital music since I don't use CD's or vinyl.

Edited by derrickdj1

A cool feature that I found on the avr is sharp, short and slow. Slow-soft and warm sound.  Sharp-tight and solid. Short-quick and forward.  These three filters, D filter, are in the DAC.  Upsampling is another nice feature.  This things will take a while to really see the extent of what all is inside.

Recently I've tried a Yamaha CX-A5000 & a Marantz 7702.  I returned those and now I'm trying a Pioneer SC-95.  I expected the Yamaha or the Marantz to be better but suprisingly the Pioneer is performing the best in my setup so far (only had it a few days).  I think the standing wave analysis on the MCACC Pro helped. 

• Like 1

The sub EQ is pretty good.  I need more time to just see how good.  But, after MCACC Pro, it only took around 15 min. to finish off the EQ which is better than the hours it use to take.

Could you expand on how the sub EQ and the iNuke DSP play together? 

Could you expand on how the sub EQ and the iNuke DSP play together? 

The easy way is just to set the sub level and run MCACC Pro.  This if there is anything additional need, use the I Nuke.  For most rooms this will not be needed.  The full band phase control along with the standing wave feature does those things missing with some avr's to get the bass really tuned.  Increased separation, clarity to make music and HT shine. 

The Pioneer sound may take some getting use to coming from other avr's.  Denon is a bit warmer but, the Pioneer is very neutral and ultra clean.  Even the DAC is great.  There are two of them for the R/L channel.  It also has an upsampling, 1X, 2X, and 4X.  The musicality of this will give many separate systems a run for the money.  I am biased and like Pioneer.

• Like 1

You need preouts for the 9.2.2.  The front height or FW are powered by an external amp.  I think Marantz has an avr that will power all the channels.  I don't recall the multichannel power ratings for it.  There are some Pioneers that you don't need an external amp but, I already have one  and wanted to still use it.

It appears to EQ the subs below 20 Hz to my surprise.

I've glanced at the data results after running MCACC but missed this.  May i ask where you found it?

Thanks!

This is my personal observation of the SC 99  EQ'ing my sub.