Turning an AL into an AA or an AL-3 or..

Well, for converting to the AA, he could reuse 2.5mH inductor and that is all.  As I mentioned most of the AL crossovers do not have the zener diodes (expensive) shown on the drawing above that  you need to make the AA.  You would also need a 245uH inductor, the autotransformer and the caps.  You could get by with my 3654 autotransformer which is like the T2A and is a bit less expensive than the 3636.  Again, hard to make that work out as a worthwhile project.

You can get the zeners for about $15 each, which, in the big picture is a drop in the bucket.

Bruce

Well, for converting to the AA, he could reuse 2.5mH inductor and that is all.  As I mentioned most of the AL crossovers do not have the zener diodes (expensive) shown on the drawing above that  you need to make the AA.  You would also need a 245uH inductor, the autotransformer and the caps.  You could get by with my 3654 autotransformer which is like the T2A and is a bit less expensive than the 3636.  Again, hard to make that work out as a worthwhile project.

You can get the zeners for about $15 each, which, in the big picture is a drop in the bucket.

Bruce

Bruce,

Do you have a link for the Zeners? 

I used a 1.5 fast blow fuse (per the ALK Type A's from years ago) and they worked well.  Do you recommend the Zener's instead? 

Are these not the right zeners?      I copied this link from page 1

http://www.parts-express.com/12v-5w-zener-diode-do-15-case--1n5349

Sorry but no. Thanks to your post, I did some research and found that the Zener diodes need to be 10 watt (5.1v). Furthermore, there are two Zener diodes per crossover. I have updated the original post to reflect the cost of these products, but suffice to say they are indeed very expensive. The total cost is over $120 per pair of networks before shipping.

Klipsch community I need your help. I have a question for you. What tweeter protection can you install if you don't have a Zener pair on the AL you own? What about the protection on the AL-3 or on the KP-201? 

Edited by mustang guy

Are these not the right zeners?      I copied this link from page 1

http://www.parts-express.com/12v-5w-zener-diode-do-15-case--1n5349

Sorry but no. Thanks to your post, I did some research and found that the Zener diodes need to be 10 watt (5.1v). Furthermore, there are two Zener diodes per crossover. I have updated the original post to reflect the cost of these products, but suffice to say they are indeed very expensive. The total cost is over $120 per pair of networks before shipping.

Klipsch community I need your help. I have a question for you. What tweeter protection can you install if you don't have a Zener pair on the AL you own? What about the protection on the AL-3 or on the KP-201? 

I buy those in large quantity so could provide them at a significantly lower price than you show.

Bob Crites

• Like 1

The 1N3996 that I found (the correct part...) is out of stock, but it was from Allied Electronics. You could contact them for a lead time to get some. A group buy would be the right thing.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a pair of 1985 La Scala's (industrial style) with AL crossovers (no zener diodes) that I suspect could use a refresh.  Are there more reports on the "wdecho mod"?  Would that mod work well for high volume listening?

Also, while I don't mind adding the zeners I wonder how important they are; my speakers were driven at max. levels with a Hafler 250 watt/channel amp for hours at a time back in the '80s.  I blew a few fuses on the speakers but never lost a tweeter.

TIA.

• 3 years later...
On 11/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, slk23 said:

I have a pair of 1985 La Scala's (industrial style) with AL crossovers (no zener diodes) that I suspect could use a refresh.  Are there more reports on the "wdecho mod"?  Would that mod work well for high volume listening?

Also, while I don't mind adding the zeners I wonder how important they are; my speakers were driven at max. levels with a Hafler 250 watt/channel amp for hours at a time back in the '80s.  I blew a few fuses on the speakers but never lost a tweeter.

TIA.

I'm in exactly the same position. '85s with ALs. need a recap. Don't need to buy 20 caps.