SOLD! Onkyo THX HT-RC180/TX-NR807 $225 SHIPPED

prerich

SOLD!!!! 

Unit has been repaired by Onkyo and is currently under warranty until November 2018!!!! I have the original box and I have Audyssey mic, remote, and manual. Unit is very clean. I've never driven speakers with it - I've only used it as a prepro. 

post-30765-0-67260000-1468805507_thumb.j

Edited by prerich

May I ask what it was needing repair?

It was the all too familiar HDMI/Ethernet board issue.  Onkyo has replaced the board and it has an extended warranty until Nov of 2018  :D

It works perfectly since the repair. I've since moved on to a 11.2 prepro/receiver and its a shame this one is just sitting around.  

Edited by prerich

anyone know of the reliability after their fixes? I've always been a Yamaha guy but with my new setup I could expand past the 5.2 I have setup right now. also location?

They seem to have gotten this right - everyone I know of in the forums (this one and Bluray.com) have had nothing but success after the fix. The warranty is attached to the serial number of product (not the owner) - so they will honor the Nov 2018 date. 

I know a guy who may be interested, I'll contact him right away.

Edit:  My guy is not interested, he had already purchased something else.

+++

Calhockey & Video Guy:  If you want it, I would defer the sale to you as a member of this forum.

+++

General:  I own an Onkyo NR TX-717, 7.2 with 125 wpc.  It has the same well known HDMI board issues Mr. Prerich had fixed.

My unit has been 100% reliable and it is used for hours everyday since 2013.  It has worked great with everything I have thrown at it, which includes some DIY speakers, Klipsch CF-4, La Scala and presently Khorns.  The sound is great, no complaints.

That HDMI problem is well known and has to do with a specific chip on a daughter board that was out of spec from the factory.  The chip should have been reliable to 120 degrees and the chip Onk used was spec'd out I believe at 80 degrees so they failed if the unit got hot.  Once that single chip is replaced I have not heard of any other problems with the Onk's.

To their credit Onk had stepped up to the plate and extended the warranty for all units with the bad chip until 2018.  That warranty is not extended for everything, just the HDMI problem.

For $200 I think the buyer would have a fantastic AVR at a great price, especially with shipping included!  It will cost $50 easily to ship that beast anywhere, they weigh a ton.  After the repair I would not be concerned with reliability because the replacement chip is the one with the proper heat rating.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I was the rep for Onkyo and Integra when this HDMI board issue first started.  They were quick to get  them replaced or repaired however they needed to do it.  After the board replacement,  there was seldom an issue and we had no complaints.  That's a dang good receiver.  If I were into surround still, I might be interested.  But, I can get Onkyo and Integra at employee purchase price still.  :D

• Like 1