RC64II Setup

Lui

Hello everyone,

I own the RC64II center speaker and have it connected to a Yamaha Aventage 1040. When looking at the woofers I noticed that the left-most one is jumping much more than the other three. I don't think that this is normal.

Is the speaker broken? How are the woofers wired so that this even is possible? Can this be fixed?

To make things clear, here is a video:

I hope anyone can tell me what the problem is.

Greetings, Lui

Edited by Lui

That's crazy. I would have that speaker apart by now if for no other reason than to figure out what the heck could even cause that. Are the other 3 woofers even moving? Could the daisychained wire be disconnected after that woofer?  I don't know how it is wired up, but that's what I would suspect.

Also, could the polarity on only that driver be reversed? It would be 3 against one.

Edited by mustang guy

Just looked on Klipsch website. It's 4 active woofers, I thought maybe 2 were passives but no, all 4 active. But they spec two crossover freqs even though its a 2 way speaker. So 2 of the woofers cross to the hi freq horn at one of these freqs and the other 2 at a different freq ? Or is this just a mistake in the specs?

The 64 is a tappered array setup between the 4 woofers. 

Yes the RC-64II is a tapered array and is considered a 2.5 way speaker.  At it's lowest frequencies, all woofers are engaged up to 1100Hz and then handed off to the two inner woofers where those woofers hand off to the horn/compression driver at 1400Hz.  With that said, it should never be just one woofer engaged, two or four or none.

Bill

• Like 1

Just looked on Klipsch website. It's 4 active woofers, I thought maybe 2 were passives but no, all 4 active. But they spec two crossover freqs even though its a 2 way speaker. So 2 of the woofers cross to the hi freq horn at one of these freqs and the other 2 at a different freq ? Or is this just a mistake in the specs?

If they all played the same frequency, you'd have major comb filtering problems. The higher the frequency, the closer the center of the drivers have to be. If you're going to spread a center out that much, the outside drivers need to play at lower frequencies or else they'll just cancel each other out at some frequencies if you sit off to the side at an angle. That's why horizontal "RC-7ii's" don't work all that great off-axis, you've got a fairly high crossover, a big horn, and big drivers that are spread apart. Lots of comb filtering problems.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Lots of comb filtering problems.

No big comb filtering problems with the RC 64 or 64 II as their design.  These are excellent center channel speakers.  Someone may have phase problems if the dialogue is a problem.  It's not the speaker!

Lots of comb filtering problems.

No big comb filtering problems with the RC 64 or 64 II as their design.  These are excellent center channel speakers.  Someone may have phase problems if the dialogue is a problem.  It's not the speaker!

I was talking about when people take an RF-7ii apart and turn it into a horzontal MTM. The RC-64ii is good because of the different crossover points, otherwise it would be the same deal.

If they all played the same frequency, you'd have major comb filtering problems. The higher the frequency, the closer the center of the drivers have to be. If you're going to spread a center out that much, the outside drivers need to play at lower frequencies or else they'll just cancel each other out at some frequencies if you sit off to the side at an angle. That's why horizontal "RC-7ii's" don't work all that great off-axis, you've got a fairly high crossover, a big horn, and big drivers that are spread apart. Lots of comb filtering problems.

I would still like to see how those things are wired. 

I found this picture of the RC-64 II crossover. Check out the woofer connections. There are two red and two orange. I bet the reds are the inside two drivers for midbass and the orange are the two outside for low bass or vice versa. That being said, the driver on the far right should be moving the same amount as the one on the far left.

Klipsch RC64-II.jpg

• Like 2

what the heck is going on with that thing? weird for sure. 

Dang.. now you're gonna have me checking mine :)

lol...I did too. All seem to be moving in unison :happy:

Processor is set to mono by the way so only the RC64II is playing

i can picture you listening to this all the time dancing around the room.