Expert help to decide on AV Receiver for Klipsch Reference Premiere

rrbraju

Hi,  

I am a newbie to this forum,I purchased a New House,

Already Purchased: Klipsch RP-260F(2), RP-450C(1), R-112SW(1), CDT-5800-C I(2) for my Media Room 20X30 Feet, I have the Media Room pre-wired for 2 ceiling Speakers for Atmos.

Need to Purchase: AV Receiver & 2 In-ceiling Speakers for Atmos in Media Room.

Budget: I don't have a budget in mind, what ever Receiver goes well with the above mentioned Speakers

Question: I am a Cinephilia (Movie Buff)  & do some Gaming, Which Brand & model AV Receiver will sound good with my Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers ?

Wish: I have 2 in-ceiling speakers installed in Office & 2 in-ceiling speakers installed in Kitchen, and want to use a multi zone Receiver for these speakers also.

Looking at other forums, I am leaning towards Denon or Marantz Brands, maybe Denon AVR-X4200W, I still can't make up my mind. I may be wrong. Please Advise.

Rave

Edited by rrbraju

Biggest problem I see is that Atmos and other zones don't really play together all that well. Having your mains plus Atmos plus two other zones isn't doable with a typical current receiver as far as I know, but I couldn't even get a Marantz SR-7009 working with Atmos plus a zone outside even though the config made it look like this is possible. In a month or a little more Denon will have new units coming out which can do full 7.1.4 with no external amplification, those may be a little more flexible with stuff like this, I'd wait until then to be honest. Worst case you wait 1-2 months and you get 2 extra amp channels for about the same price as comparable current units.

Biggest problem I see is that Atmos and other zones don't really play together all that well. Having your mains plus Atmos plus two other zones isn't doable with a typical current receiver as far as I know, but I couldn't even get a Marantz SR-7009 working with Atmos plus a zone outside even though the config made it look like this is possible. In a month or a little more Denon will have new units coming out which can do full 7.1.4 with no external amplification, those may be a little more flexible with stuff like this, I'd wait until then to be honest. Worst case you wait 1-2 months and you get 2 extra amp channels for about the same price as comparable current units.

Thank You Sir.

Thank You Sir.

Sir, I am thinking of skipping the Zoning Part, What AV Receiver you think will be good for My Media Room in 7.1.4 Config With Above mentioned Klipsch Speakers ?

Rave, I think the newer Marantz, Denon and Pioneer lines have been reviewed as competant offerings.I used to be a fan of Yamaha but nowadays they seem to have too many bells and whistles, at least for me Then again I would never use Atmos either... Seven speakers is probably overkill in most situations. 

Check out http://www.accessories4less.com/ for some nice deals. You can get even better pricing on the factory refreshed, demos and scratch n dent.

• Like 1

Thank You Sir.

Sir, I am thinking of skipping the Zoning Part, What AV Receiver you think will be good for My Media Room in 7.1.4 Config With Above mentioned Klipsch Speakers ?

Denon AVR-X6300H for an all in one 7.1.4 solution. Its not out yet though.

• Like 1

here's the thing...you are investing in speakers that should last a life time.  don't go cheap on the gear.  the receiver is so critical to your HT dreams. 

it's been said, ditch the idea about ceiling speakers for ATMOS.  get the real ATMOS speakers and use those 2 ceiling speakers for some Zone 2 stuff.  (or depending on timing, i may buy them off of you).

for HT....i'm talking movie watching only....not some closet 2 channel guy....this advice is just for the person who only wants to watch, hear, and feel the movie....

you have 2 routes.....

1. get a really good AVR.  Onkyo seems to be the top of most lists for just HT viewing.  their price point is typically a touch lower, but have as many or more features.  you also can't go wrong with Pioneer Elites and some of the other high end receivers.  so basic advice, stick to an AVR that is their Flag ship.  then, you also want to buy an Amp.  really, any name brand amp will do.  used is a great way to save some cash, as long as it has the required watts.  EVERYBODY on this forum knows Klipsch are very efficient, so don't get crazy with the amp and get your head all twisted and think you need 400w per channel. 

most of the good AVR's right now have ATMOS and 2 sub outputs, so you don't have to wait for that technology to drop.  what you need to check for is if they have the new HDMI requirement (HDMI 2.0 - with full HDCP 2.2 support).

2. Separates.  Emotiva.  you will want an XMC-1 with either the XPA Gen 3 or A700 + another amp.  that's the silly part about ATMOS.  you will only find 7ch amps (right now) so you need at least 2 of them.  also, the XMC is not ATMOS or HDMI ready (yet).  it will be a few months before the first one is released.  the top of the line with ATMOS and DTX will be $3K, add in $1900 for 7ch XPA, and $400 for 2 ch amp....that could put a very serious dent in your HT budget.  it's the most expensive route, but you will have the best set up you can get. 

i'm not just suggesting Emotiva, even though i love their gear, other companies like Outlaw (to name 1) have or will have something similar.

if you want most bang for your buck...find an older Flagship AVR that has ATMOS, 7.2.4, and purchase the A500 ($500), have the AVR power the 4 of the surrounds, the A500 power your LCR and ATMOS speakers.  you should be able to find a really good AVR for around $500.  that's a $1k investment, the amp will never "go bad".  you can use it in the future for "upgrades" (you know you will do it), and the AVR can live out it's life in a second Zone room. 

• Like 1

here's the thing...you are investing in speakers that should last a life time.  don't go cheap on the gear.  the receiver is so critical to your HT dreams. 

it's been said, ditch the idea about ceiling speakers for ATMOS.  get the real ATMOS speakers and use those 2 ceiling speakers for some Zone 2 stuff.  (or depending on timing, i may buy them off of you).

for HT....i'm talking movie watching only....not some closet 2 channel guy....this advice is just for the person who only wants to watch, hear, and feel the movie....

you have 2 routes.....

1. get a really good AVR.  Onkyo seems to be the top of most lists for just HT viewing.  their price point is typically a touch lower, but have as many or more features.  you also can't go wrong with Pioneer Elites and some of the other high end receivers.  so basic advice, stick to an AVR that is their Flag ship.  then, you also want to buy an Amp.  really, any name brand amp will do.  used is a great way to save some cash, as long as it has the required watts.  EVERYBODY on this forum knows Klipsch are very efficient, so don't get crazy with the amp and get your head all twisted and think you need 400w per channel. 

most of the good AVR's right now have ATMOS and 2 sub outputs, so you don't have to wait for that technology to drop.  what you need to check for is if they have the new HDMI requirement (HDMI 2.0 - with full HDCP 2.2 support).

2. Separates.  Emotiva.  you will want an XMC-1 with either the XPA Gen 3 or A700 + another amp.  that's the silly part about ATMOS.  you will only find 7ch amps (right now) so you need at least 2 of them.  also, the XMC is not ATMOS or HDMI ready (yet).  it will be a few months before the first one is released.  the top of the line with ATMOS and DTX will be $3K, add in $1900 for 7ch XPA, and $400 for 2 ch amp....that could put a very serious dent in your HT budget.  it's the most expensive route, but you will have the best set up you can get. 

i'm not just suggesting Emotiva, even though i love their gear, other companies like Outlaw (to name 1) have or will have something similar.

if you want most bang for your buck...find an older Flagship AVR that has ATMOS, 7.2.4, and purchase the A500 ($500), have the AVR power the 4 of the surrounds, the A500 power your LCR and ATMOS speakers.  you should be able to find a really good AVR for around $500.  that's a $1k investment, the amp will never "go bad".  you can use it in the future for "upgrades" (you know you will do it), and the AVR can live out it's life in a second Zone room. 

Thank you for taking the time to help Sir.

Thank You Sir.

Denon AVR-X6300H for an all in one 7.1.4 solution. Its not out yet though.

Thank you for taking the time to help Sir.

here's the thing...you are investing in speakers that should last a life time. don't go cheap on the gear. the receiver is so critical to your HT dreams.

it's been said, ditch the idea about ceiling speakers for ATMOS. get the real ATMOS speakers and use those 2 ceiling speakers for some Zone 2 stuff. (or depending on timing, i may buy them off of you).

you have 2 routes.....

1. get a really good AVR. Onkyo seems to be the top of most lists for just HT viewing. their price point is typically a touch lower, but have as many or more features. you also can't go wrong with Pioneer Elites and some of the other high end receivers. so basic advice, stick to an AVR that is their Flag ship. then, you also want to buy an Amp. really, any name brand amp will do. used is a great way to save some cash, as long as it has the required watts. EVERYBODY on this forum knows Klipsch are very efficient, so don't get crazy with the amp and get your head all twisted and think you need 400w per channel.

most of the good AVR's right now have ATMOS and 2 sub outputs, so you don't have to wait for that technology to drop. what you need to check for is if they have the new HDMI requirement (HDMI 2.0 - with full HDCP 2.2 support).

2. Separates. Emotiva. you will want an XMC-1 with either the XPA Gen 3 or A700 + another amp. that's the silly part about ATMOS. you will only find 7ch amps (right now) so you need at least 2 of them. also, the XMC is not ATMOS or HDMI ready (yet). it will be a few months before the first one is released. the top of the line with ATMOS and DTX will be $3K, add in $1900 for 7ch XPA, and $400 for 2 ch amp....that could put a very serious dent in your HT budget. it's the most expensive route, but you will have the best set up you can get.

if you want most bang for your buck...find an older Flagship AVR that has ATMOS, 7.2.4, and purchase the A500 ($500), have the AVR power the 4 of the surrounds, the A500 power your LCR and ATMOS speakers. you should be able to find a really good AVR for around $500. that's a $1k investment, the amp will never "go bad". you can use it in the future for "upgrades" (you know you will do it), and the AVR can live out it's life in a second Zone room.

im confused about the first part of this? You say ditch the ceiling speakers for atmos and get the real atmos speakers? What do you mean by that?
  • Like 1

here's the thing...you are investing in speakers that should last a life time. don't go cheap on the gear. the receiver is so critical to your HT dreams.

it's been said, ditch the idea about ceiling speakers for ATMOS. get the real ATMOS speakers and use those 2 ceiling speakers for some Zone 2 stuff. (or depending on timing, i may buy them off of you).

you have 2 routes.....

1. get a really good AVR. Onkyo seems to be the top of most lists for just HT viewing. their price point is typically a touch lower, but have as many or more features. you also can't go wrong with Pioneer Elites and some of the other high end receivers. so basic advice, stick to an AVR that is their Flag ship. then, you also want to buy an Amp. really, any name brand amp will do. used is a great way to save some cash, as long as it has the required watts. EVERYBODY on this forum knows Klipsch are very efficient, so don't get crazy with the amp and get your head all twisted and think you need 400w per channel.

most of the good AVR's right now have ATMOS and 2 sub outputs, so you don't have to wait for that technology to drop. what you need to check for is if they have the new HDMI requirement (HDMI 2.0 - with full HDCP 2.2 support).

2. Separates. Emotiva. you will want an XMC-1 with either the XPA Gen 3 or A700 + another amp. that's the silly part about ATMOS. you will only find 7ch amps (right now) so you need at least 2 of them. also, the XMC is not ATMOS or HDMI ready (yet). it will be a few months before the first one is released. the top of the line with ATMOS and DTX will be $3K, add in $1900 for 7ch XPA, and $400 for 2 ch amp....that could put a very serious dent in your HT budget. it's the most expensive route, but you will have the best set up you can get.

if you want most bang for your buck...find an older Flagship AVR that has ATMOS, 7.2.4, and purchase the A500 ($500), have the AVR power the 4 of the surrounds, the A500 power your LCR and ATMOS speakers. you should be able to find a really good AVR for around $500. that's a $1k investment, the amp will never "go bad". you can use it in the future for "upgrades" (you know you will do it), and the AVR can live out it's life in a second Zone room.

im confused about the first part of this? You say ditch the ceiling speakers for atmos and get the real atmos speakers? What do you mean by that?

Agreed - ceiling speakers work much better than "bouncing the sound from the ceiling" that Atmos speakers claim to do (they do it - but you've got a point source with ceiling speakers). 

Edited by prerich

Probably depends on whether you're talking to Jay or not. :) The add-on modules aren't my favorite because they can be localized on some frequencies. The RP-280FA's are better in this regard because they are inset down into the tower and encapsulated with foam, there is no line of sight path between the drivers and your ear.

As for ceiling speakers, I think the biggest problem is when dealing with 2 channels of ceiling speakers. If you do that, many of the treble-heavy Atmos effects are also very localizable and come from one tiny spot in the ceiling which can get annoying. 4 ceiling speakers would be the way to fly, like 7.1.4.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters