the trouble with cane grills on my cornwalls

ducati2

about a year ago I painstakingly made solid walnut frames for my cornwalls and then used the best cane material for the grills.  It was absolutely beautiful ,, for about 6-8 months, then started to sag just a little.  ,,, then more..    With small grandchildren and dogs around, this cane is just unforgiving.   Any slight push stays.   I have removed them a couple of times to wet the cane material in hopes it would shrink back, but it does not. 

It now makes sense to me why many companies moved onto a more stretchy type speaker material, or at least something with a little 'give'.    Does anyone have a recommended cloth that looks as fantastic as cane, but with a little stretch or give to it?     See attached pix. 

post-61680-0-95140000-1468959607_thumb.j

post-61680-0-12540000-1468959665_thumb.j

Edited by ducati2

That's sad. It looks like you need to painstakingly remove the fabric and replace it. I don't know of any tricks unless you could detach and tighten, but then the lines in the fabric will look bad. 

I could be wrong...

There isn't anythiong that looks as good as cane. Perhaps some sort of tight screen behind the next one you install? Just make sure it is AP.

Edited by mustang guy

That's sad. It looks like you need to painstakingly remove the fabric and replace it. I don't know of any tricks unless you could detach and tighten, but then the lines in the fabric will look bad. 

I could be wrong...

There isn't anythiong that looks as good as cane. Perhaps some sort of tight screen behind the next one you install? Just make sure it is AP.

There might be one trick. 

Try taking a hair dryer to the spot (carefully and keep the dryer moving around) and see if that shrinks the material a bit. You may need to mist the material first. If there are any plastic heads in the material, the heat will melt the plastic and mar the finish. 

As always, do this at your own risk.

Good luck,

-Tom

thanks for all the suggestions!  love this forum, as I don't feel so ALONE on my projects!   attached are two photos of the back side of the frames.   The cane as so stiff , that I decided to not try to wrap it around any masonite, but rather, I flattened and ironed it really stiff and then glued and stapled it to the frame. Then, I covered it with a 3/16" masonite.    I did coat that masonite with a light spray of 3m adhesive,  which may/may not have helped.    The masonite was then stapled on.      

I have wet the areas in question several times and sat the frames on the back porch to dry ..  about 97 degrees and windy here.    No luck.     However I will try the hair dryer suggestion before I rip these apart and start over.  Arrrgh.      I do wish I could find something with stretch or give that looks something like cane, but not sure it exists. Let me know if you have thoughts.. 

post-61680-0-37220000-1469022603_thumb.j

post-61680-0-35300000-1469022615_thumb.j

I am ordering a sample of the cane looking one MD4134 from wendel and go from there. They state that it has some give, we will see what it looks like.

I also called MOJOtone, which is where I bought the cane you see in the photos, but he has no alternatives that have stretch or give. In general, i get the feel that some people think 'little kids and dogs' should not be allowed near such great audio equipment... but hey, this is my life, so I will attempt to kid proof it. now my son's Saint Bernard however......

Update-- Wendell says that sweet looking md4134 is discontinued...

Edited by ducati2

when i was making grills i never had a problem with sagging.

one thing i noticed on your grills is the cloth is not wrapped around the grill board on all 4 sides with about an inch on the back side. could this be why they are sagging. just a thought

I have some of this stuff in the attached pictures.  It is actually called "Cane" but obviously an imitation.  I have never actually seen it on a speaker.

Bob Crites

post-7208-0-93220000-1469060434_thumb.jp

post-7208-0-38860000-1469060452_thumb.jp

Edited by BEC

Hmm wonder how transparent it is with the sound. Does it stretch or at least give a little?

The stuff I posted above is actually Klipsch approved.  I have not seen them actually use it though.  Yes it will stretch some.

Bob... I wonder if grill material has a rating to describe how transparent it is sonically?

I really don't know the answer to that.  I have been told that Klipsch tests the fabric they intend to use, but I do not know what the testing standards are.