the trouble with cane grills on my cornwalls

ducati2

I have some of this stuff in the attached pictures.  It is actually called "Cane" but obviously an imitation.  I have never actually seen it on a speaker.

Bob Crites

I started talking to Mr. Crites just before the 4th, I'm planning on ordering some for my Khorns and Heresys in walnut the next couple days. Jason STR is going to do the work, I will post pics when its done. Jason is busy for the next couple weeks so give it some time. I'm sure he will chime in with how hard it it to deal with as he gets it done. I just hope it's easier than the new black material, it seems too plastic like and is extremely difficult to keep secure

Mark

Bob... I wonder if grill material has a rating to describe how transparent it is sonically?

I really don't know the answer to that.  I have been told that Klipsch tests the fabric they intend to use, but I do not know what the testing standards are.

I've heard they have kids test it in the company day care.

Edited by mustang guy

If you find you have to install new cane you might want to try coating it

with a clear urethane or  something to give it more strength

being careful not to close any openings in the weave.

Just a thought---That would also give it a little sheen.

If you find you have to install new cane you might want to try coating it

with a clear urethane or  something to give it more strength

being careful not to close any openings in the weave.

Just a thought---That would also give it a little sheen.

interesting.. maybe a satin clear,   but then any paint would stiffen it and would not 'give' and bounce back when it occasionally gets an elbow from the grandson.  

post-61680-0-10340000-1469195697_thumb.jPROBLEM FIXED !   like new or better!    here is what I learned;

I was using a spray mister to dampen the sagging areas and then drying it out.   I did this 3 times w no results.   

Then I realized that cane, a relative of bamboo, is pretty water resistant and remembered from a 9th grade basket weaving experience (seriously)  that cane takes a LOT of water for a LONG time to truly get wet and limp.  

So, with the screen layed horizontally on my kitchen cabinet top, I simply took very hot water on a sponge and re-soaked the entire grill, over and over and over until it turned a dark orange brown color.   This color indicates it is truly wet.   I flipped it over and repeated the process.  It actually tightened up at this stage, but then I put it outside in the shade, but about 95 degrees here and pretty gusty.    An hour later, it was taught and flatter than a 16 year old gymnast's stomach.   I reinstalled my masonite backing but only with 4 screws this time, rather than my 30 staples as before and I think I am good for a long while.     If it loosens again, I now know, and YOU know the fix.   Hot summer time was perfect,  would not want to do this in the winter, but I guess you could. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...