Emotiva insiders

babadono

Hey All,

Emotiva's got a sale going on on their big monoblock amp, $150 off. First off opinions on this amp and second if you're in the know, do you think they'll be even more discounted at end of year? I want something beefy to run some 18" sealed subs. I bought a Crown Pro amp but returned it. Supposedly 1200W, I could not even get 300 out of it. These sealed subs are power hungry.

What 18s are you trying to drive? Some are more power hungry than others. 

From the looks of it, the XPA-1 would drive your two SI18s. So it's an option.

Personally, I'd go elsewhere on the main merit you can get more watts for your money. The XPA-1 is $1050. The EP4000 which has almost double the RMS watts is $330 with free shipping on most sites. The iNuke 6000 is $350 and from what I remember it's 2x1800 watts RMS. But don't quote me on that number. (Obviously assuming you have the electrical outlet capable to sustain the output). Beyond Behringer there are other more powerful amps for less than $1000 - something to consider if you are planning on adding any more 18s in the future. 

Will the subwoofer amp be in the same room as you? If so, a pro amp may have too much fan noise depending on listening levels. 

Just my .02

Understand your point homeskizzle. I just do not believe the quoted output specs for pro amps. You cannot get something for nothing, unless they have invented the 'perpetual energy machine'. I missed the announcement.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on that one and run my tests.

Heck, just hook it up to the subs.  It'll push them just fine.  I've had a couple of them in service and still have the first one I bought on my IB.  The fans are noisy but are easily swapped out.  I believe they're 24v.

Let's see   4400 watts = x amps times 115v, so if it was 100% efficient(which it is not) it would draw 38.2 amps out of the wall socket. This is of course NONSENSE.

Not nonsense at all. Pro amps are rated for music, not continuous sine waves, so outputting more than the electrical line can deliver is possible for short durations of time:

https://peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/Chapter_4.pdf

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on that one and run my tests.

Heck, just hook it up to the subs.  It'll push them just fine.  I've had a couple of them in service and still have the first one I bought on my IB.  The fans are noisy but are easily swapped out.  I believe they're 24v.

Gotta build'em first :ph34r:

Perhaps if we get some rain next winter I can do inside stuff. :)

Edited by babadono

My EP4000's have been trouble free for years now. Installed the quiet fans from Digi-key at $8.00 a piece. Never ending power it seems and if I run them hard I just put a muffin fan behind them to get a little more air moving.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why are we talking sine waves instead of real world content? You wanna run sine waves? Buy a speaker power amp. My inuke 6000dsp runs the you know what out of quad 18 setup. It will run a pair even better with tons of extra headroom. You call call the 4400 watts bs all you want. The math shows it. But guess what? I have to run mine hard enough I worry about breaking things in my house to get it to go full power to the point of flickering the red clip light.

• 4 months later...

Ive been running emtiva gear for two whole daysB). That don't mean a lot but so far very happy. Running the pt-100 into a a-300. Its the basx line and I love it! Only fault I can find is tuner is kind of different but I'm getting better. Tuning freqs is hard lol.  Love the new erc-3 cd player. WOW!! Im listening to the beatles right now.