Emotiva insiders

babadono

Hey All,

Emotiva's got a sale going on on their big monoblock amp, $150 off. First off opinions on this amp and second if you're in the know, do you think they'll be even more discounted at end of year? I want something beefy to run some 18" sealed subs. I bought a Crown Pro amp but returned it. Supposedly 1200W, I could not even get 300 out of it. These sealed subs are power hungry.

I have a lot of Emotiva gear. It is solidly built and backed by a good warranty. I've noticed that Emotiva starts giving good discounts when they are updating product lines and moving out the old. So, I'd get the amp now because it may not be available at the end of the year. They have a good return program if you decide the amp isn't up to the task.

Mark

• Like 1

Hello.....my ears were ringing.....hahaha!

Yeah, the XPA-1 is a really nice amp. I actually preferred the Gen 1 to Gen 2 just because the gain was 32db whereas the new Gen 2 were 29db gain. Either way, the XPA-1 should have no problem pushing your sub. I was using a Gen 2 XPA-1 for my twelve inch sub and I was afraid the sub was going to blow with the power barely on. Plenty of oomph to get you hooked up. I would also advise you to call Emotiva directly and ask if they have any "B" stock or factory refreshed amps they are willing to deal on. If so they still offer the five year warranty which gives you piece of mind. I have bought a couple of components over the phone even though they were not listed for sale anywhere. 

If you keep an eye on the Emotiva company Ebay store  "jadedesign"  they offer up some factory refreshed pieces which come with a one year warranty. You can save a lot more money. I have bought a half dozen or so pieces from them there. They had a Gen 1 XPA-1 earlier today which sold for $650. For what it's worth they take best offers and I paid $1200 for my pair shipped to me.

Tim

• Like 1

Why would anyone spend all that money on a emotiva xpa-1 to run a sub? Your paying extra money for a fancy housing and looks, that you wouldn't have to pay for with a pro amp. You had one bad run in with one pro amp and your calling it a day? 98% of diy sub guys run pro amps. The inuke 6000dsp I run runs 4400 watts for 399$ on amazon all day. And there is a ton of dsp capabilities with it. Don't need that? Save your money and buy a 6000 non dsp model. Just don't see reason for buying a emotova for sub duty.

• Like 5

Thanks all.

Scrappy I get what your saying that's why I tried the Crown. I would love to do the same tests on the Behringer, seems like all the pro amp manufacturers fudge the numbers. Maybe I'll spend the $399 just so I can run the tests, long as i can return it when it doesn't do as advertised.

I would love to do the same tests on the Behringer, seems like all the pro amp manufacturers fudge the numbers.

I'll see if I can find the independent tests done at the AVS forum.  It was one of the few that actually hit it's advertised wattage rating.

I power my 684 subs (dual 18s per box) with Crown XLS 2002 (650wpc / 4 ohms)...........couldn't be happier.  This line of amps has the crossover filters as well so I can put a low pass on the subs.

I also run some other subs on QSC PLX2 1104 and 1804 amps.  These are nicer amps with tons of power but also cost quite a bit more.

No Emotiva for me.   :)

Edited by mark1101

seems like all the pro amp manufacturers fudge the numbers

What is the required input voltage for full output of the Crown amp?  Do your pre-outs provide that requisite voltage?

I was testing it on my bench. Never got far enough to hook it up to my system. Unit was going into thermal compression at a tad bit over 300 watts RMS. My set up was not as elaborate as the one shown on the AVS forum. But I had a calibrated 4 ohm 1000w load and single ended signal generator feeding a differential output demo board. So I was feeding unit a nice balanced input. I could easily make the output of the unit clip without clipping the input from my demo board. This was good enough to do the rough measurements I wanted to do.

I love my EP4000. Running it bridged puts out 1900 watts RMS verified. I'll probably get an iNuke 6000 next. 

I've had mine (2500) running my IB @2Ohms for 8 years or so without a hiccup.  It's not like movies are as hard on an amp as sine waves.