Jury Duty?

DizRotus

• Moderators

Yes, IMO, in most situations, swift certain reasonable punishment is much more of a deterrent than the possibility of more serious punishment, including the death penalty.

Excuse me, perhaps the question was not properly asked or I misunderstood the response. Regardless of the offense or the sentence imposed (given the disclaimer in my question) would a swifter resolution from our justice system AND the requirement to serve the full sentence ordered be a deterrent to others considering criminal action?

NO

Regardless of the offense or the sentence imposed (given the disclaimer in my question) would a swifter resolution from our justice system AND the requirement to serve the full sentence ordered be a deterrent to others considering criminal action?

NO

You seem pretty sure about that, as you were regarding death penalty not being a deterrent.

Do you base that on your experience, or "general knowledge" within your profession, or do you have specific knowledge based on research?  (no citations needed or asked for)

Not challenging or implying anything my friend, just curious in a general way.

• Moderators

Regardless of the offense or the sentence imposed (given the disclaimer in my question) would a swifter resolution from our justice system AND the requirement to serve the full sentence ordered be a deterrent to others considering criminal action?

NO

You seem pretty sure about that, as you were regarding death penalty not being a deterrent.

Do you base that on your experience, or "general knowledge" within your profession, or do you have specific knowledge based on research? (no citations needed or asked for)

Not challenging or implying anything my friend, just curious in a general way.

Putting death penalty aside for a moment, quicker trials isn't going to affect crime rates one way or the other.

Neither does minimum mandatory sentences. They do not make an impact on crime rates. They do impact incarceration rates obviously.

We mandatory sentencing in the federal system from '87 until 2005 when the Booker decision found them to be unconstitutional amd a violation of the 6th Amendment, which is the topic of this thread. Since Booker, federal sentencing guidelines are advisory only.

• Like 1

We mandatory sentencing in the federal system from '87 until 2005 when the Booker decision found them to be unconstitutional amd a violation of the 6th Amendment...

I forget the facts of the cases which exposed just how unjust mandatory sentencing could be.  They were much like a guy who gets 99 years because he got busted with a joint after having 3 or 4 prior drug convictions under his belt.  That's 99 without any possible reduction for good time served.