Biamping or Atmos with unused 7.1 channels

blueblenny

• 2 months later...

Ok,

So I wanted to give an update to my project, and ask some where to turn advice..

First, I was able to add a second sub (An RW-12D to match the RW10D I already have), and am very happy.    With the room, they are both  on the Left, not ideal, but it is a limitation of the space.   the 10" is close to the listener, and the 12" drives most of the the power.

Secondly, I got a Marantz 7009 that promptly died 2 days after turning it on.  Marantz replaced it with a 7010 since I apparently got the last of the 7009s in stock.   I love how much nicer this receiver sounds than my old Yamaha did driving the towers.   I do have the mains bi-amped now, and am going to try it both ways back and forth as I dial it in.  As long as I have enough channels, I figure it doesn't hurt.  

Now I am just not getting the ceiling bounce Atmos depth that I really want, and it is far to subtle, maybe my ears don't hear the HRTF the same way other people might, maybe I just don't like the bouncy compromise like I hoped I would.     This has led me to think that for at least my room, I want to put a speaker set up there.   Problem #569 that I have encountered in this setup it is an old plaster house, and I am not being successful at convincing the wife that holes in the wall and ceiling is ok... I want her to enjoy the system too, :) and not just grudgingly see the destruction.

So I guess my last option to add on Atmos they way I want to is to put down firing height speakers right under the crown molding... almost in the Auro 3D top layer configuration.  

I can re-purpose the pair of the 140SAs that I can mount up high, and they would cover the main listening position from a vertical standpoint, but it would be difficult to aim them Left and Right with the keyhole hanger.    Also, they have a very narrow angle of sound coming off of them, as well as non flat EQ- the Patented Dolby HRTF/ Head Related Transfer Function - "a rise at 7 kHz of 5 dB followed by a drop of 7 dB at 12 kHz".   

Would the 140SA be an ok option for the height channel, mounted as a down firing speaker, or would something in the RP240S/ RS-41 II with Wide Dispersion Technology be a better choice?   If I don't use the 140a I would need something with the threaded insert, so I can angle it down the way I want to.  I have a pair of the 140s, so not having to sell them is a nice option, but I am not married to keeping them it if is a far inferior option.

I will add a back height channel at some point in the future. so one option is the 140s up front (up high) and something else in the back.

I am really only trying to get a 2-3 seat listening area covered.  

Thanks!

and many thanks to MetropolisLakOutfitters for helping me get this far on the project.   Great guy!

With Very Efficient Speakers like Klipsch--I personally think Bi-amping with a Receiver

is a waste of time and a waste of Power from the receiver.

Maybe in Less Efficient Speakers bi amping is a good idea.

Anyway when you bi-amp with a AVR since you are using an extra 2 channels

you are reducing power to ALL the speakers in the sound system.

If you're worried about bi-amping use the supplied jumped bars that came

with the speakers and hook the speakers up to the upper terminal.

Just my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

just so you know, this can do more harm than good if you are running all your channels on the receiver only. 

Agree.

I know it seems like you have unused channels being wasted but let your ears be your guide.  I find whenever I try to use every channel I don't like the sound because it is a little more dull, ie, no dynamic headroom.  I prefer less speakers but getting more "pop" out of the ones I have.

If you like to experiment like I do, try it both ways.  See what you like.

:) Like I said, I am trying it both ways.      I am usually only cranking it biamped in stereo mode + the sub for music listening... well aware of the under powered AVRs.  I don't notice a huge difference now, but I have not tested it against my most dynamic recordings yet.    So my "can't hurt"  really I should have said, " I am not under powering my speakers to damage them, and an experimenting just to see, but will probably use the extra channels for ATMOS and side surrounds in the future."  :)

Down the road I may get a separate power amp for my mains, especially once I add in a few extra rooms to the setup..

The main question i had was the 140SA   and if that is a ok choice as a height speaker.

That said, 2 channel listening, and recording is still a passion of mine. 

If it is classical, I am sometimes turning off the sub some of the time, and just running the towers.  

it is funny, My studio monitors I think show me more of what is happening in the mix, my Klipsch make it sound better and more natural, if that makes sense.    Some of the violin tones I have recorded  on Neuman KM184s *reallly* shine on the Klipsch.