Scott 299C - speaker hookups

jhewes

Hello all,

I have just purchased a Scott 299C tube amp (to go with my heresy speakers).

I have done some searching but need some help making the speaker connections.

The wires that come out from the back of the amp connect to the terminal strip screw that corresponds to the impedance of the speakers, correct?

To which screws do I connect the two wires on each speaker cable?  High and 0?

Any assistance appreciated.

Joe

Hello all,

The wires that come out from the back of the amp connect to the terminal strip screw that corresponds to the impedance of the speakers, correct?

Joe

Try this http://akdatabase.org/AKview/thumbnails.php?album=89&page=2

Hello all,

Joe

Try this http://akdatabase.org/AKview/thumbnails.php?album=89&page=2

Or this http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/hh-scott-299c-speaker-terminals.329252/

Congrats on the 299C.  Has it been rebuilt or does it have the vintage components?

Here is the description from the ebay listing:

"Up for Sale is A Vintage Scott 299C Tube Integrated Amplifier Amp. 

Unit has Been Cleaned and Tested. It is in Great Working Condition. All Controls Cleaned No scratchy Noise. 

All Tubes are GE Except 6U8A by Telefunkens. 

Clean Faceplate with Little Light Scratche as Show. Excellent Overall Condition."

Photos show a pretty clean chassis, transformers look free of corrosion. the face plate is in excellent condition. It has the brown plastic knobs that show some corrosion on the ends.

There was not a photo of the underside, and only a partial of the rear panel. There is  no case (a friend has graciously offered to make one for me). 

Apparently there are two versions of the 299C, one with 28 watts per channel, another with 31. Not sure which one this is. Delivery is expected next week. I am looking forward to connecting my Heresy speakers. 

Edited by jhewes

jhewes, I would seriously consider having your amp checked out by a competent technician before you power it up.  Assuming it has old capacitors (and resistors, etc.), it could run for a bit just fine, and then something could fail and it could cause a lot of damage to the amp, including destroying tubes.  I have an LK-72 (kit version of the 299C) that did exactly that after running great for about 20 minutes (I bought it on eBay and it was in great condition and operating, but old the old components failed quickly).

Another thing, it really should be powered up slowly using a variac, starting at a low voltage and gradually (over several hours) brought to full voltage.  Even if it has been serviced recently, if has not been powered up for a few months, the variac start up is a good idea.

I would recommend NOSvalves (Craig) to take a look at it.  He is the master when it comes to Scott integrated amps. I have three Scott integrated amps (including the LK-72 that I foolishly damaged by being too eager to try out) and a Scott preamp that Craig has serviced.  He does what is needed.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Seadog
  • Like 1

There are very few people in the tube amp industry with Ken Leonard's knowledge and expertise (except for me of course, but I'm trying to be retired :D).  I strongly suggest that you seek his help if the amp needs restoration.  He tried to become an active participant on here, but was not given much of a welcome by some folks and decided to take his contributions elsewhere.  I can't blame him.  When you receive it, if you post a clear picture of the underside of the chassis, or PM it to me, I'll be glad to look at it to see if any work has been done.  By the way, where are you located?

http://aeaaudio.com/legacy-page/

Maynard

Thanks a bunch, folks, good advice all. I have seen Craig's page but not Ken Leonard's. They both look like excellent resources. I am seeking a local authority first to have the unit checked out. Baring that I will look at those suggested. 

Tube Fanatic, I will send you a photo when the unit arrives nex week. I am located in Monmouth County, central New Jersey. 

I can't believe you're in NJ!  As far as I know, the only active forum guys from here are myself (Hunterdon County), and Jim ("Jim") who is in Fords.  Regarding local service, if there's a ham radio club it's likely that they have some old timers who are extremely well versed in tube electronics (many are probably audiophiles as well).  Another person who may be able to help you, and who is right in your area, is Sal Brisindi (SalB203@aol.com).  I know that he was very involved in amp restoration at one time, but now may be limiting his work to old radios.  I'd drop him a note.  Either way, I'll help you out if I can.  When you send the picture, we can exchange direct emails to make things easier.  One thing is certain- once you get a taste of tubes with your Heresys, you will never want to return to SS!

Maynard

• Like 1