Older Klipsch Speakers under 14 inches deep for LCR?

davecraze

Are there any classic klipsch speakers less than 14 inches deep that I should consider for LCR duty behind an acoustically transparent screen.

I may end up with kpt-325s or kpt-310s (only 12.5 inches deep) but wanted to also explore any unconventional used older speaker options. Maybe something like the Klipsch Forte (although the passive radiator would be right next to the wall, so not sure if that would work well). Maybe the Klipsch KG5.2?

Anything else that may be a good choice? I am just not super versed on all the historical klipsch speakers.

My surrounds are four pro cinema kpt-8001s. Atmos speakers will likely be four AW-650s.

I have a JTR orbit shifter horn loaded sub to handle sub 60hz or sub 80hz, so LCR don't need to go super low.

Thanks for any advice.

-David.

Edited by davecraze

a trio of kpt-325 will spank any older speakers. the hf horn on the 325 s AMAZING! just buy them you won't be sorry. i have owned and head a ridiculous amount of speakers and stopped at the 904 which is a double woofer 325 but same hf section. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Scrappy. The 325s were only even on the list due to your prior recommendation!

I don't plan to run the system too hard, but I do want it to be balanced. I assume the AW-650s will be fine for Atmos. If not, there's always the KPT-801s instead. 

Are there any classic klipsch speakers less than 14 inches deep that I should consider for LCR duty behind an acoustically transparent screen.

I may end up with kpt-325s or kpt-310s (only 12.5 inches deep) but wanted to also explore any unconventional used older speaker options. Maybe something like the Klipsch Forte (although the passive radiator would be right next to the wall, so not sure if that would work well). Maybe the Klipsch KG5.2?

Anything else that may be a good choice? I am just not super versed on all the historical klipsch speakers.

My surrounds are four pro cinema kpt-8001s. Atmos speakers will likely be four AW-650s.

I have a JTR orbit shifter horn loaded sub to handle sub 60hz or sub 80hz, so LCR don't need to go super low.

Thanks for any advice.

-David.

I have heard good things about the Forte's for music but it would be hard to find 3 and having the passive shoved against a wall is a bad idea. These speakers are far better off in an open living room where they can be seen and enjoyed. If you really wanted to, you could try for 3 Heresy's across the front but by the time you found 3 matching pairs and updated the caps etc it may not be worth it. The KG series is great for HT and one of the best value prospects if your budget is limited. The KG 5.5 is a high intensity speaker and is probably the closest you can get to the smaller cinema stuff for a sub $300 to 400 pair of speakers. I think it is deeper than 14'' but it is front ported. 

All that being said, if you have the budget I would agree with Scrappy 100% on the cinema series.

What is the difference between the 325 and 310? Horn?  Anyways, my thoughts are they are both similar to the Cornwall with a single 15".  Think of a 2 way Cornwall with a K510 horn. 

So yeah, if the price is right, like Srappy said go with the 325 and never look back.

What is the difference between the 325 and 310? Horn? Anyways, my thoughts are they are both similar to the Cornwall with a single 15". Think of a 2 way Cornwall with a K510 horn.

So yeah, if the price is right, like Srappy said go with the 325 and never look back.

i believe the horn is quite a bit smaller. And then the driver itself is tiny In comparison. Woofers might be the same? If have to look at spec sheets. 325 is as low as I would go though.

What is the difference between the 325 and 310? Horn?  Anyways, my thoughts are they are both similar to the Cornwall with a single 15".  Think of a 2 way Cornwall with a K510 horn. 

The 325 has a 3" driver with the K510 and the 310 has a 1.75" which looks like a shortened K510 would seem to be the biggest difference. 

bzLBk15.png

• Like 1

I have seen occasional references to the fact that the 904hf spec on Klipsch's website is incorrect and the the compression driver is not 3" - it is 2" with a 3" voice coil (odd, I know) and is an OEM version of this B&C compression driver. Can anyone confirm or debunk this? 

http://www.prosoundservice.com/m9/BC-DE75P--b-c-de75-p-2-hf-driver.html

Thanks! Wow, 14 pound compression driver is both hilarious and awesome at the same time

Size does matter.

PWK knew that and is still telling the world that 70 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

i fast forwarded to a few different spots to see if it was really that long of Tim Allan. I will watch this entire thing at some point tomorrow lol. Thanks mustang man
  • Like 1