new A/V receiver

bandit1305

OK, I have had my system since 2006.  I have a denon avr-3806 powering my center (RC-52), fronts (RF-52s), 4 surrounds (RSX-4 or 5, cant remember) and now (rw-10d died) an svs sb-1000 sub.  The system sounds amazing, truly amazing.  Problem is, the denon is outdated and has no pass through that I need.  Can anyone recommend a good receiver to replace a perfect sounding denon?  

This will come down to personal preference, desired features (Video pass through, Pre-Outs, Atmos ready, number of channels, etc) and budget more than anything else...

All of the major manufacturers, such as Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc. have models that will do the job.

Since you have a Denon currently and you really like it, you might consider the current AVR-X3300W...

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx3300w

Or maybe the upcoming (out in Sept) AVR-X4300H.

Head over to the AVS Forums and check out their AVR section.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2444306-official-2016-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/

• Like 1

Budget wise, maybe around $1500 or less. I don't need atmos (yet), but 4k and 3d pass through is a must, along with dlna and Bluetooth. I'd like to stay around the same power if possible in that budget. Would the Denon avr-x3200w sound as good?

Edited by bandit1305

You should be aware that there is a new copyright protection specification for HDMI, HDCP2.2

If you have no intention of ever using UHD (4K) video then it probably won't matter. If you do, in the near or distant future, make sure any components you buy/upgrade to are HDCP2.2 compliant or you won't see or hear anything that uses the new specification.

Last year there were only two receiver manufacturers that were HDCP2.2 compliant, Onkyo and Sony. And of those two (at the time) only Onkyo also had built-in WiFi. So for me the choice was simple. The UHD TV must be HDCP2.2 compliant too.

You should be aware that there is a new copyright protection specification for HDMI, HDCP2.2

If you have no intention of ever using UHD (4K) video then it probably won't matter. If you do, in the near or distant future, make sure any components you buy/upgrade to are HDCP2.2 compliant or you won't see or hear anything that uses the new specification.

Last year there were only two receiver manufacturers that were HDCP2.2 compliant, Onkyo and Sony. And of those two (at the time) only Onkyo also had built-in WiFi. So for me the choice was simple. The UHD TV must be HDCP2.2 compliant too.

Denon receivers are doing this as well now

I have been a straight Denon fan since the 80's and continue to be. That's not to say a lot of the upper models of the brands mentioned here are not at the top as well. I would check out the features and try and find some bench tests on the models you are looking at. Power is not a huge concern for Klipsch speakers, but some lesser AVR's head south when you hook five or more speakers up to them.

ok - so can anyone here offer any feedback on the Pioneer Elite lineup, since they may/may not be discounted ahead of upcoming model releases?

I do have a TV that does UHD & 4K .  don't take much advantage of it right now, no finite plans to do so in the future but do want to be flexible to be able to do so.  budget = probably < $1500 or so.  initially, HT will be pretty basic - not really much of a HT at all.  will be using Heresy I's as mains; no Atmos or 3-D now, or in the plans at this time.  use = movies, etc.  some 2 ch, would like to be able to run A+B mains for music when desired. surely a sub out, and USB/digital media connection would be included.

video pass thru I think would be good to have, as well as pre-outs too.  (learning a lot about all this; it's been years since I've been into much of this.  and when I was into the audio part, the HT was barely beginning, so I'm playing catch-up on tech, terminology, and all that.)

Also - does not have to be new!  nothing at all against buying already broken in gear with proper due diligence ahead of time (buyer beware, etc)

I feel like I have the WAF in good shape to start researching options.  I'm running my Heresy's with an old HK receiver, and show her the pix of the CW's & Belles I'd love to have (but not that many come up within reasonable distance of me).  she asks 'why you keep looking at speakers when you have these?  have you thought about updating/upgrading the receiver?'  my response is yes, I have but I don't know yet what features etc I want, or what's available.  and in speakers, I do know what I want - CW, Belles - and am just lying in wait for the right ones to show up.

so, I will check the links & info already provided, and appreciate any advice you guys who have been there - done that are willing to offer.  Thanks very much!

edit:

so, after posting all that above, I found this on the bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-MX119-Preamp-Processor-NICE-Condition-/371692896479

I am learning the impressive amount of respect here for McIntosh and am familiar second hand with their reputation.  so, I don't guess I could go wrong with an MX119, could I?  and even though I would have to act quickly to jump on this particular auction, right now at seems like a pretty good buy.  and I'm not normally one to make a quick buy on something like this anyway.

Edited by -js-

no, I did not.  that is one of the many things I'm trying to get a grip on - getting an understanding of which ones will require an external amp vs which do not.

still looking around at options.  and one thing about this is that while I am looking, checking things out etc, I do want to take some time on this, for a couple reasons.  1) - make the best possible choice for whatever I decide I'm going to spend as well as 2) - pay off a couple other things before making this size/type investment.  (making myself hold this like a carrot as a reward for taking care o' bidness on those other accounts before I 'treat myself' to this investment/upgrade)

I'd love to make the jump to a McIntosh, but not sure I want/can do that financially to get the features I want.  and am still sorting those out.

I want hi perf audio both from the HT audio as well as (what I guess is) 2-ch, with ability to expand to a sub (2.1 ?).  working on organizing my mp3 & digital audio to one place, so looking to be able to include that thru this system as well...  not to mention some concern (should I be?) and this, what is it, HDCP 2.2, compatibility (forward and/or backward?) and all that.

if i were starting from scratch and doing home theater and 2 channel in one setup i would look past alot of the mainstream options. something from anthem or nad would probably be at the top of my list. while i would love to do mcintosh (who wouldnt if we could all afford it) i would only really look into them for 2 channel listening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

if i were starting from scratch and doing home theater and 2 channel in one setup i would look past alot of the mainstream options. something from anthem or nad would probably be at the top of my list. while i would love to do mcintosh (who wouldnt if we could all afford it) i would only really look into them for 2 channel listening. 

I was looking for a AVR that was good with 2ch music and HT and ended up with a Cambridge AVR. I and very satisfied with my choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loudogp250 said:

I was looking for a AVR that was good with 2ch music and HT and ended up with a Cambridge AVR. I and very satisfied with my choice.

That is good to know.  What model did you get?

I have always been very pleased with the sound quality of CA and have considered the 651R or 751R as possible replacement if my NAD dies.  Though Anthem is at the top of my wish list.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

That is good to know.  What model did you get?

I have always been very pleased with the sound quality of CA and have considered the 651R or 751R as possible replacement if my NAD dies.  Though Anthem is at the top of my wish list.

Bill

I have the 551R. I was leary initially coming from a Integra DTR 6.8. I was concerned that I would miss the room correction most AVR's offer. After reading a number of reviews, specifically Sound and Vision I decided to pull the trigger. I am now a Cambridge fan. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Loudogp250 said:

I have the 551R. I was leary initially coming from a Integra DTR 6.8. I was concerned that I would miss the room correction most AVR's offer. After reading a number of reviews, specifically Sound and Vision I decided to pull the trigger. I am now a Cambridge fan. 

Congrats on the new avr.  I was looking at your signature and seen the PA 150.  I had one and really liked that sub.  Nice looking and good clean bass.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

Congrats on the new avr.  I was looking at your signature and seen the PA 150.  I had one and really liked that sub.  Nice looking and good clean bass.

Thanks. It's a great sub purchased from a forum member. I have been looking at integrated amps by Cambridge for my 2ch set-up. The CXA80 and the Azur 851A look to be great for the price. 

27 minutes ago, Loudogp250 said:

Thanks. It's a great sub purchased from a forum member. I have been looking at integrated amps by Cambridge for my 2ch set-up. The CXA80 and the Azur 851A look to be great for the price. 

I have a CA 640A v2 that is sitting idle at the moment but occasionally switch it with my NAD T773 to drive my Heresys.  It was the primary amp I was using when I first got my RB-75's, and it did a fine job.  Then the beast Yamaha A-S1000 came along and bumped the 640 to backup position.

Bill

12 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

10 hours ago, Loudogp250 said:

5 hours ago, Loudogp250 said:

guys / folks - that is AWESOME info !!!  cannot say thanks enough for sharing that info, experience & all that!  will have to take a look at some of these CA's, Anthems, and probably NAD as well.  I remember from back in the day (late 70's, 80's) that NAD had (at least) a very solid rep in groups such as this.

and I think I kind of danced around this, but I have accepted that in order to blend/add HT to the same speakers, that I likely will compromise music by adding versatility.  at this time, that is quite acceptable.  down the road, maybe I can branch back out to a HT system and a 2nd system to be more music oriented.

thank you very much for tips folks!

John

edit:  and also, I'd like to extend my gratitude to the forum in general.  I don't have a lot to offer to others re advice, etc, but I 'lurk' and read a lot of the advice, discussions, etc among you guys with 1000's of posts.  I respect your opinions & experience, and just wanted to post those thoughts.

thanks to all!!!

Edited by -js-
add ps thoughts