Technical Question

CatKnight

It really wouldn't matter for headphones whether you use the CP-1 jack or your soundcard. The soundcard usually does not provide amplification, and neither does the CP-1 (it does, but not good enough for high-end headphones) I suggest that if you want really good sound, and you have high-end headphones, that you hook up your headphones to a headphone amplifier and hook the amp into the CP-1 jack. If you don't have a heaphone amp, check out http://www.headphone.com you can get a good one, the Airhead, for $99. Also, the CP-1 does not come close to amplifying the heaphones like a headphone amp would. But this all depends on what you mean when you say "high quality headphones." If you could clarify as to what kind, that would help.

*zen

i would run them out of the cp-1, when i hook my sennheiser hd545's up to my soundcard directly, with all the system volumes cranked, it just about gets to listening level. i don't have that problem at all with the pro's out. As for the airhead, i would go with the total airhead, which is 50 bucks more but a lot better.

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Actually, the CP-1 does provide headphone amplification. And IMO the CP-1 uses a better amplifier (the NE5532A) than the Airhead you quoted (the LM324).

Let's compare:

Airhead CP-1

(LM324) (NE5532A)

Slew Rate 0.5V/us 9V/us

(more is better, extended frequency response)

Noise 40nV/Hz 5nV/Hz

(less is better)

CMRR 85dB 100dB

(more is better)

PSRR 100dB 100dB

(more is better)

Output current 20mA 38mA

(more is better)

-Andy W

quote:

Originally posted by asudhir:

It really wouldn't matter for headphones whether you use the CP-1 jack or your soundcard. The soundcard usually does not provide amplification, and neither does the CP-1 (it does, but not good enough for high-end headphones) I suggest that if you want really good sound, and you have high-end headphones, that you hook up your headphones to a headphone amplifier and hook the amp into the CP-1 jack. If you don't have a heaphone amp, check out
you can get a good one, the Airhead, for $99. Also, the CP-1 does not come close to amplifying the heaphones like a headphone amp would. But this all depends on what you mean when you say "high quality headphones." If you could clarify as to what kind, that would help.

*zen

Amy,

. Is there an amplifier in the preamp module that boosts the signal for the headphone jack, or is the signal amplified in the sub case then piped back to the headphone jack?

when in doubt, ask Amy.

Andy,

. Do you have service manual or schematics for our fav. speakers? All I've found are the pics posted on this board.

I'm not taking anything apart to see what chips are in my Klipsch. But I do LIKE to know about those kind of things.

A nice PDF file of the schematics that I can print out and hang on the wall would be nice.

I thought I could find something like a Sam's, but no luck.

Can I get something a little more than the operators manual for the v2-400?