Good quality stand for tube gear and turntable

boomac

I plan to move my tube amp, pre-amp, CD player and turn table to a spare room we have.  I need a stand, (or two) to house the equipment between a pair of Forte IIs.  I've been wanting to do this for quite some time and now that all adult children have "moved on",  the space is mine!  I have nice gear that deserves a solid foundation, especially the TT.  Keep in mind that my amp creates a fair amount of heat.  It will be necessary to create a reasonable distance between it and the TT, I think!  Any helpful recommendations appreciated.  I've always either used built ins or modified antiques to house gear but in this case, space is an issue.

Both LarryC and I can give a hearty endorsement of the Target Audio Turntable Stand.  This is wall mounted to standard 16" on center studs which isolates it from vibrations.  In addition, the actual platform  the  table sits on is isolated from the rest of the stand.

Once the TT's taken car of, you have tons of options for the rest of the gear.

• Like 1

I doubt that the Target of old is still around, but several such stands and the brands, are displayed on this page:

https://www.google.com/search?q=target+turntable+wall+stands&biw=1014&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0z7KHtojOAhWCSCYKHUVBBCIQsAQISw#imgrc=eO3eoYMmm1W_PM%3A

Some use very heavy free-standing stands, which I suppose are heavy and expensive.  I like wall-mounts, since mine was rock-solid and don't vibrate at all.  Mine, which are mounted in my new place, easily hold over 100 lbs. each.

Edited by LarryC

I couldn’t find shelves / console / table that fit my space, and was big enough for my components.   (A lot of furniture isn’t deep enough.)  I found (IIRC on Craigslist) a furniture maker that custom built an open console from quarter sawn oak, with mortise and tenon construction.   It is rock solid, fits the space perfectly, and didn’t cost any more than high quality factory made furniture or audio racks.  And IMO it is much better looking than any of the industrial looking audio racks that I saw advertised.

I had the means to make something similar the target audio.  My 2 channel rig is on the second floor.  I made a stand out of 4 slabs of granite and all thread.  It is very heavy, still if I put the turntable on the stand, things will skip.  I built the wall mount unit and haven't had issues.  Another thing you could do, if there is only the roof above this room.  Is suspend a piece of wood from your ceiling with 1/8" cable. 

I don't remember, way too long ago, and most are out of business anyway.  Rega TT mounts were the right size for my odd-shape CD boxes, but I had to have specially-made platforms to sit on the mounts.  You may have to choose a mount that fits the size of what you're supporting, although many components have standard sizes like 17" wide.

Scotty, don't know your intentions about where you live, e.g. permanent, moving in a few years, etc., but getting good cabinet maker might be an option for something as simple as a wall mounted shelving. Nothing looks as nice as custom, but the cost will likely run anywhere from $500 to $1500, depending on how much gear and how fancy you want to go. A benefit is that you can have all your wires hidden, and gear mounted cleanly; plus the wood can be stained and finished anyway you want, and you can get fancy with ornamental edging that can be routed/trimmed/chamfered, anything you want or can dream up.

Or, similar to what Larry and Marty suggested;

http://www.tweakshop.com/Pro-jectWallmount.html

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/pro-ject-wall-mount-it-1-turntable-shelf

Or any of these from across the Atlantic.....

http://www.apollohifi.co.uk/c/wt-series-wall-mounted-supports

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

I should mention a beneficial accessory to these mounts:  resonance or vibration absorbing units.  I have now-discontinued Townshend Seismic Sinks under my CD transport and TT, on the wall stands.  These added 35 lbs each to the weight on the stands!  I don't think you can get them now.

Their construction was super:  inflatable rubber inner tubes sandwiched between heavily damped steel or aluminum plates.  They removed appreciable grit and irritation from my LPs and CDs.  I don't know if any successors are available now.  I would recommend considering them if they are.

Edit:  Townshend Audio currently does make vibration absorption: http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation-platform/

These look much simpler than the past units.  I have no idea how effective these are compared with the platforms of yore.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

Rainy day here so I decided to get out of the house and visit a couple audio stores.  I found a few options and it will all depend on how I want to set the room up and how much I want to spend.  I did learn a few things tho'.  Both guys I talked to have been in the business a long time.  The first shop I visited is where I bought my first stereo set-up back in 1970 and they were in business 50 years before that.  I've know the salesman for the 25 years.  My second visit was to a newer business, at least at it's current location.  The top dog there really knows stereo.  I actually met the guy when Larry recommended I visit a high end seller just outside of Chicago many years ago.  (BTW Larry, he loves the Basis Tables but wishes the owner were more accessible.) Anyway, their gear is top shelf.  Audio Research, Cambridge Audio, Audioquest, Pro-Ject, Linn, SME, Vandersteen, etc.  I bought a Pro-Ject 6Perspex SB there quite a few years ago. 

Both pros agreed isolation is very important. 

Bruce - I asked about placing equipment between the speakers and neither one ever heard anything negative about it and actually thought it could be counter productive.  In fact, both suggested placing, (at least) the power amp between the speakers so as to keep the speaker wire as short as possible.  Evidently, shorter speaker wire is more critical than component cable connects. 

At this point I figure to pick-up the equipment in Larry's link for the TT and CD Player.  At the second shop I went to I saw couple amp stands that he's willing to sell me.  They're low to the ground, isolated, solid and I like the wood color.  The company is currently out of business so they'd like to get some current production stands under the massive Audion Research Amps they have on display. 

Last we talked about speaker wire.  I've read quite a bit and figure good wire is expensive but I wasn't quite prepared when the last guy told me he has more in his speaker wire than in his speakers.  I know what speakers he has so good Lord!  I asked if they were made of gold and he said no but lots of silver!  Anyway, it's always fun to see and hear how some will spare no expense to achieving better sound!

BTW, I did walk out of the second shop with a new set of AudioQuest KnightHawk headphones.  They sound good!

I am no cabinet builder, but I have constructed several TT stands over the years that were highly successful.  Just a column you can get a hundred pounds of gravel or sand in.  My last couple look good as the PAW mastered Formica and we put black on them.  You can kick them will playing and it will hurt your foot, but the record will sound fine.

Doubt if we had 75.00 in materials in any of them until we put the marble on top of my double turntable stand. 

Dave