homegrown bicycles

Paducah Home Theater

I usually hear comments like that from people who haven't done any exercise since high school gym class and get winded climbing a flight of stairs.

It has nothing to do with fitness.

At 67 I worked at a 180,000sf sports complex and smoked most kids in the 40. Never needed day-glo spandex to do that. How's your bench? smile

Edited by IB Slammin
  • Like 1

It has nothing to do with fitness.

At 67 I worked at a 180,000sf sports complex and smoked most kids in the 40. Never needed day-glo spandex to do that. How's your bench? smile

So the 40 is your strength. Since you actually have a strength, you know that equipment is important. Why do you feel the need to insult others for the equipment that supports their strengths?

Oh, and at 57 I can still bench my weight. I'm no weightlifter, but that's a darn sight better than most people can do at any age. You can run 40 yards, but can you run 10K?

Enough of this.

• Like 1

Colorful Spandex sould be reserved for the young and lean. Packs of middle aged cyclists ride our streets looking like Bib or the Pillsbury Doughboy decked out for Tour de France in multicolored Spandex with "sponsors."

At 67, I work out almost daily on my NordicTrack and regularly ride my 42 year-old Campi equipped Italian road bike, but not in Spandex and not in a pack of Lance Armstrong wannabes.

I like the looks and technology of the USA homegrown bikes.  My bike is homegrown only if your home is Italy.

post-6832-0-60740000-1469453789_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Colorful spandex sould be reserved for the young and lean. Packs of middle aged cyclists ride our streets looking like Bib or the Pillsbury Doughboy decked out for Tour de France in multicolored Spandex with "sponsors."

Instead of insulting them for their appearance, why not applaud them for their enthusiasm and commitment? By middle age, most people don't do anything more strenuous than getting up from the dinner table.

• Like 1

I'm 52 and haven't worn dayglow spandex since Frankie Goes to Hollywood was in town.....so RELAX. I ride aggressively off road with guys half my age, and do some racing. When you do something like that for an hour min-to all day you will want the right gear. If my activity only lasted 8 seconds I could probably wear jeans and timberlands. Fortunately gear is available in many styles these days. Also in agreement with the above-anyone over 40 who is engaging in strenuous endurance activity deserves props in my book. Most of the people I grew up with look and act like they've got one foot in the grave. 

• Like 2

My cycling shorts are traditional black. My jersey is subdued ... in fact I often ride in a tee-shirt because I actually find it more comfortable than a jersey.

That said, outrageous clothing has at least one desirable effect for road cyclists -- it gets them noticed. We are constantly dodging cars whose drivers either don't see us or don't look for us because they are paying more attention to their cell phone than to their driving responsibilities. So the next time that you notice some cyclists because of their clothing, congratulate them for getting the job done.

• Like 1

The sponsor logos is in fact kind of weird.  If they were worried about being seen they’d wear a solid neon green shirt.  No that’s not good enough.  Everybody’s obsessed with company logos and want to look like they’re sponsored.  When you’re 18 it’s almost understandable.  When you’re older than 30 it just gets kind of weird. 

To be fair though, it’s not just cyclists that do this.  3-gun, motorsports, car stereo, pretty much everything, it’s ridiculous.  Go to a shooting match nowadays and there’s people who barely know how to shoot that are rocking race jerseys that look like something out of NASCAR.  I don’t understand it. 

• Like 2

I would die if I tried to ride a bike like that where we ride.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Where would that be?  Our playground is the Shawnee National Forest, which has more rocks than most people can imagine.  Many trails are so rough that 35-55 pound downhill and freeride specific bikes are preferred.  However there's a 65 year old man who rides a full rigid steel bike with V-brakes that was made back in the 80's that whips up on everybody, it's insane.  We even used to ride with a trials rider who had a full rigid cheap bike that was doing all kinds of crazy mess like it was childs play.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Nice boutique bikes (frames). I suspect most if not all of the components are foreign made as usual.

I was diagnosed with heart failure 12 years ago. And 3 years ago atrial flutter & pre-diabetic. The AF was fixed with a cardiac ablation but I needed to lose some weight.

I have two vintage Schwinn Paramount. An early 70's one of a kind chrome plated prototype with mostly Campi Super Record and Dura Ace crank. The other is an 84' custom built frame with Campi Aero and Modolo Master Pro titanium brakes. In the process of trying to get more exercise to more lose weight (I'm already down 35LBS) I thought I might be able to get back on the Paramount (custom built wheels 2 sets) but it didn't take long to break a spoke - so still too heavy for those bikes.

I finally decided that I had to be too careful (breaking spokes) and prepping the bikes before every ride, cloths & shoe change, etc was taking too much time and inconvenience to do any "practical" riding so I decided I needed something, well, more practical, so I could just jump on it to run errands or do a quick 30 min ride around the neighborhood without fear of damaging another expensive wheel.

So I just bought a Trek Marlin 5 in Viper Red. Very cool & nice bike. Rides smooth, rolls nice, shifts gears like a dream. Amazing bang for the buck. Even got a wireless heart rate monitor with the cyclometer.

FWIW, with the drugs, exercise and a little modification of diet (I still have my Saturday night pizza) the diagnosis is now "benign" on all counts (knock on wood - I have to see the cardiologist for a regular appointment in a few hours). Just want to loose another 35LBS. I think the new Trek will help with that. Only had the bike a couple days and already rode 2.5 hours.

Edited by artto
  • Like 2

vintage Schwinn Paramount. An early 70's one of a kind chrome plated prototype with mostly Campi Super Record

artto-

You are to be congratulated on your response to cardiac issues.  Keep up the good work.

I tried to buy a Paramount in 1974, but Nixon's wage & price freeze prevented Schwinn from charging more than $375, so Schwinn chose not to sell any.  Unable to get a Paramount for $375, I purchased the 1974 Legnano pictured above for $425.  Not as pretty as a Chicago made Paramount, the Legnano has Reynolds 531, Campi, etc. like the Paramount.  I've never regretted buying the Legnano, but I still wish I'd been able to get a Paramount.

FWIW, at 6'1" ~200# (slightly less in 1974), I've never broken a spoke, even riding on gravel roads on a 2-day ~200 mile trip from Mackinac Island to Lansing, MI. 

Edited by DizRotus

You're not trying hard enough!

The sew-ups, with their condom-like tubes, on my vintage road bike do not permit stump jumping or curb pounding; a trail bike it ain't.  Gravel roads and avoiding potholes are as rough as it gets on that bike.  So, yes, I guess I'm not trying hard enough, nor do I intend to.  :-)

I would die if I tried to ride a bike like that where we ride.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Where would that be?  Our playground is the Shawnee National Forest, which has more rocks than most people can imagine.  Many trails are so rough that 35-55 pound downhill and freeride specific bikes are preferred.  However there's a 65 year old man who rides a full rigid steel bike with V-brakes that was made back in the 80's that whips up on everybody, it's insane.  We even used to ride with a trials rider who had a full rigid cheap bike that was doing all kinds of crazy mess like it was childs play.  

I'm up in NY state. Here is a vid of one of our more gnarly local ride/events. http://northatlanticdirt.com/video-beacon-mega-avalanche-2015/  (as you know everything is waaay sketchier than it looks ;)  )  Most guys are riding bigger travel enduro bikes there. I ride an Ibis Mojo SL-a little scary there, but great for most other riding. I know what you mean about the rigid guy, there's always one defying all logic with that combo of stubborn and mad skills. I do have a Sinister R9 for DH playing-made in the area by FTW. Where are your local spots? My nephew was down in Fort Campbell the last year and he may have been out there. Also a big small builder fan-he got a Lynskey MT29 recently, had a Sycips.