Interstate Move

mrquery

Hi Guys, 

After a year we decided to move from IL to CA. I wonder how people here do it since this will be our first interstate move. The plan is that we fly to CA and have 1 of our car (CR-V) professionally moved together with my AV stuff inside the car (the usual - 2 amps, 1 tuner, 1 receiver, a 30" speaker, a 12" speaker, a dac, a 55"  tv and a laptop).

Basically I am looking for recommendation / budget on the car shipping company that offer this service and or any other recommendation to securely move my stuff.

Thanks in advance.

shocks... my wife won't permit me to drive interstate and that "baking in the sun" comment scares me.

Oh my dear eico, marantz, arcam, klipsch and castle speakers must come with me, anything else including the car I don't mind  :lol:

help!?

my wife won't permit me to drive interstate

Drive yourself...take a few days and travel Route 66 (sidetrack the interstate parts if need be)....make frequent stops...see America ...

Great advise, I myself would do this only if I am not with my son during this move. Since it will be me and my son (wife not included, yey!?) doing this move in time for the next school year start.

No matter how you get it there, it will be baking in a vehicle in the sun. If you are concerned, just call Allied Van Lines and have them move the goods door to door. 

There are no guarantees when moving stuff, but if you have a mover do it, you can buy insurance. Point of note on insurance. If there is not aparent external damage, then contents and conditions are unknown and therefore not covered. 

I was an Allied Van Lines agent for 20 years.

Edited by mustang guy

Will check the Allied Van Lines, for the mean time got quote from UPS (anybody got experience with them / any good)?

Total Weight: 440.0 lbs.   70.00% Discounted Amount   728.84 USD Amount After Discount   312.36 USD LTL Guaranteed A.M. Service   70.00 USD Fuel Surcharge   79.15 USD Inside Pickup/Delivery Fee   90.00 USD Total Charges: 551.51 USD

I don't how it is now.  Back in 1978 Easter Vacation my fiancé and I drove for Drive-Away from Chicago to San Francisco.  Chicago, Des Moines, Denver, Las Vegas (day with a friend there), Los Angeles (a day at Disneyland), and Big Sur (beautiful) to San Francisco.  The purpose of the trip was to check up on the fiancé's brother in San Francisco (Mission District).  Yeah, he needed help.

Oh yeah, I installed a CB which was fun from time to time.  Chicago Motor Club provided a Trip-Tik map.

Regarding worrying about who is driving your car.  We were responsible grad student.  Not like Vanishing Point.

OTOH, the car was a bit old and had a loose front end.  I would have cancelled except there was the urgent need to get to San Francisco.  The loose front end made Big Sur difficult.  The muffler fell off just outside of Los Angeles.  I concluded that the owner didn't want to drive it cross country himself because of impending mechanical failures.  (Not that you're like that.)

Anyway.  You might have a good time making the drive yourself if there is time to stop and see the sights.

WMcD