Look What Followed Me Home Today! Cornwalls!

tlarwa

I've been wanting a pair for a long time, and finally landed a pair locally. Got what I consider to be a great deal. Bought from the original owner, who primarily used them to listen to classical music. They are CW1's, made in 1982. Finish is Walnut Laquer. I opened up the back of one of them (I like the screw on back panel!), because I had to see what drivers and crossover were in them. They have the B-2 crossover, K-33-E woofer, K-77-M tweeter and K-55-V midrange driver.. One question I have is whether the midrange and tweeter horns came from the factory wrapped (covered) in what looks like mortite? These both are.

Got them placed in my listening room, but I'm not sure what the consensus is on placement. Any tips? Also, I tried them driven by my Carver SS amp, since that's all I have right now. I have a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum being delivered Monday that I'm really excited about. But even with the Carver, they sound GOOD. Ran through some Crusaders, CSNY, Earth, Wind and Fire, and finally cranked up "Whole Lotta Love". Even my wife was impressed with that one! Compared to the Forte II's I used to have (which I really liked) it's no contest.

So, I need suggestions on placement. My room is 12' x 17' and fully treated (first reflection points, bass traps, etc.). I have them about 20" from the back wall, and pretty close to the side walls now, slightly toed in. I'll play around with, but suggestions are welcome.

I'm a happy camper!

Tom

post-30593-0-63860000-1469331765_thumb.j

post-30593-0-08420000-1469331780_thumb.j

post-30593-0-64860000-1469331827_thumb.j

post-30593-0-62620000-1469331841_thumb.j

post-30593-0-70780000-1469331868_thumb.j

• Like 8

Tom

Nice find! I've never seen a factory pair covered with anything, usually that's a mod done by the owner. I tried them toed in, out, a lot of it is going to be what your ears like. The room looks great, it should be a relatively easy set up. Personally, I would move them slightly closer to the walls ,it seemed to enhance the bass. If you're going to "dump" the Carver, let me know, I may be interested :D :D  :D 

Mark

Tom

Nice find! I've never seen a factory pair covered with anything, usually that's a mod done by the owner. I tried them toed in, out, a lot of it is going to be what your ears like. The room looks great, it should be a relatively easy set up. Personally, I would move them slightly closer to the walls ,it seemed to enhance the bass. If you're going to "dump" the Carver, let me know, I may be interested :D :D  :D 

Mark

Mark, the Carver is for sale. PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

Because I got these for a really nice price, I've got about $500-$600 to spend on an upgrade path. Doing some research, one path that seems to be popular is to replace the K-77-M with Bob's CT-125 tweeter, replace the diaphragms in both of the K-55-V midrange drivers and then rebuild the crossovers with Bob's rebuild kit (which I did on my Forte II's). Those 3 upgrades would cost about $330 or so. Does this sound like a solid plan? I know the ALK crossovers are out there as well, but I'm not sure if the Corn-Scala networks are worth it, and I don't want to spend the $$ on his other designs. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

They look very nice. To my taste, they're better looking than the ones you were considering before.  Congratulations. How do you like them so far?

If they were mine, I'd listen to them as they are for a few months before starting down the slippery slope of "upgrades." The first modification would be to the networks. At a minimum, new caps. If you source from Bob Crites, you can later utilize either of his tweeters without further mods to the networks. Whichever tweeters you decide to retain, selling the runners-up would be easy.

If you're into vinyl, you should know about the Reg Williamson cleaning system, as featured in The Audio Amateur years ago. If interested, try a search or send a PM.

Edited by DizRotus

Congrats, they look very nice! I always thought that Cornwalls were designed to be placed in the CORner tight against the WALL, hence the name, or is that just rumor? As far as upgrades the networks should be first and don't forget about the mid horn gasket to the k 55, little rubber ring, Bob Crites sells them for a buck a piece. As far as tweeters go I just learned of Crites new CT-120, which is supposed to be a nice improvement over the 125 but I haven't heard anything about those yet. Supposedly there is a whole new replacement driver in the works as well for the mid horn, the k-55g that is more inline with the dual phase plug driver, might be worth the wait for those. Anyway, congrats again on a fine pair of speakers!

Jesse

Thanks for all the comments so far. And the tip on the CT-120, which I didn't see on Bob's website (it's not easy to find). That's about $60 more, so within my budget. And I'd just as soon but the best I can afford. The speakers sound great, with the limited listening I've done so far. As for listening for a while before I make changes, that's typically good advice. But I've been down this very same road with my Forte II's, and I know what a big improvement the recap and new diaphragms made on those. So I'm totally confident this would be money well spent on the Cornwall's. The tweeter replacement , recap of the network and new mid-horn gaskets seem like a slam dunk. The wild card is the mid-horn, and whether to replace those diaphragms or wait for Bob's new one (or is there a third option?). If there is a replacement option that will make a significant improvement, if be willing to spend the extra $$ (to a point ... I can't afford Volti horns). Are there other horns I should look at? Or do you guys think that the diaphragm replacement in the stock horns is worth the $$?

They look very nice. To my taste, they're better looking than the ones you were considering before.  

I agree! A really like the cane grills, as opposed to the black ones on the other set. Seems like the "classic" Heritage look to me. Does anyone know if matching replacement fabric is available and how hard it is to recover the grills? These are in decent shape, but they do have a couple stains and a few little holes in them. It would be nice to freshen them up, if possible.

• Like 1

Congrates, those CW's are gorgeous.

Want to sell me those cane grills?

Btw, I am about to list a set of Alethea B crossovers that would be any cornwalls best friends. They will transform the cornwall.

Do your current k-55's have the soldered lug connections or the push pins? The soldered lug version is the dual phase plug and only offered for a short time in the early '80's so yours might have them already. A lot of people feel they are the better driver.

Do your current k-55's have the soldered lug connections or the push pins? The soldered lug version is the dual phase plug and only offered for a short time in the early '80's so yours might have them already. A lot of people feel they are the better driver.

Not sure, and I don't want to open them back up again until I have the parts to work on them!

I have found that upgrades just for the sake of upgrades gives you very little bang for the buck. All of the components you have in your new speakers are good if not great drivers. Unless they are failing, most upgrades produce minimal improvement. The crossover upgrade is the only one I think is needed at this point, but I would still hold off a few months to get a feel for what you have so you can evaluate your "upgrade". Caps do wear out over time. Properly used, the drivers can last a very long time. I have used Bob's CT125 and his A4500 xover, his cast frame K33, all work exceptionally well. (He has also rebuilt 2 other xovers for me). So I wouldn't shy away from any of them, I just wouldn't rush out just because you have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket. There are plenty of members here that will assist you in spending it in other ways. Either way it is a fun process. Congrats on your new Cornwalls!

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

Along with Bob's tweeters, I'd get those crossovers at least recapped.

Also, I'd reinforce the back panels to keep them from flexing. Put your hand on the panel while playing them. That vibration you feel is interior compression flex that could redirected out of the front port.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Also consider getting the Carver amp recapped if it's not been already. It looks like you have a TFM series from the pics. I use a modified M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 that's right at 460 wpc and it sounds stellar. Dead quiet even on my CF-3's.

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

Also consider getting the Carver amp recapped if it's not been already. It looks like you have a TFM series from the pics. I use a modified M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 that's right at 460 wpc and it sounds stellar. Dead quiet even on my CF-3's.

That Carver is headed for the for sale listing. My new Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum will be here tomorrow! The Carver is just something I've had hanging around for a spare. That said, it sounds great. And it is dead quiet as well...

Congrats on the Cornwalls..... Very nice.....

What Carver amp are you using?  

It looks like you have a TFM series from the pics.
Yea looks like a lil TFM-15....

MKP :-)

It's not that "lil" when hooked up to LaScalas! I drive my LS's with that amp and they reach ridiculous db levels. At least plenty for this old dude!

post-60988-0-52900000-1469379075_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 2