Look What Followed Me Home Today! Cornwalls!

tlarwa

After doing some digging inside the cabinets today, I've discovered that I have the K-55-V midrange with the soldered vs. push on wires. Bob Crites tells me that these are fairly rare, and probably one of the best midrange drivers Klipsch has produced. Apparently this design has a 2-piece phase plug, whereas the more common one is one piece (per Bob). So replacing the midrange drivers is not necessary anyway. I'm going to move forward with the recap of the network, the new midrange gaskets and the CT-120 tweeters. Should get me some good return for relatively little money (< $300). Now I gotta decide what placement sounds best in my room. I've tried the full corner/wall option (didn't like it), facing straight forward (good) and then slightly toed in. I think I like them toed in best. Now I need to fool with the distance to the back and side walls. Any suggestions?

Edited by tlarwa
  • Like 3

The k55v is not a bad driver (a.k.a the Atlas P55VH). It's the k601 horn that can have it's shortcomings.

After some listening and if you want to take them to a new level, you can put these in yourself. Only bad part is it's NOT reversible. I put them in my CW 1.5's and don't regret it a bit. Smoothed out the midrange and gave them a wider Soundstage. Commonly now known as a Cornscala. Bob explains them on his website. Good thing is that there's no modification needed for the crossover or the driver. Just have to rout out the motorboards and grill openings.

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/fastrac-cornwall.html

Edited by Mighty Favog

I had been sitting on a pretty pair of Cornwall Decorators for several years (about 7 yrs), and would like to do something special with them. Had thought about the Cornscala for a long time. About a week ago I was looking at Al's website for ideas, and discovered the Fastrac Cornwall link listed above.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a pair of K-600 Horns?

How much are they going for, and where can I obtain a template for making the cutout?

Just leave them standard 

These speakers are just the best sounding speakers and can be driven by low power amps.

Here is my set up, (Grills removed) second set that do play simultaneously are Mission 770S 

post-63620-0-91400000-1469580823_thumb.j

Edited by Ducatist

Because I got these for a really nice price, I've got about $500-$600 to spend on an upgrade path. Doing some research, one path that seems to be popular is to replace the K-77-M with Bob's CT-125 tweeter, replace the diaphragms in both of the K-55-V midrange drivers and then rebuild the crossovers with Bob's rebuild kit (which I did on my Forte II's). Those 3 upgrades would cost about $330 or so. Does this sound like a solid plan? I know the ALK crossovers are out there as well, but I'm not sure if the Corn-Scala networks are worth it, and I don't want to spend the $$ on his other designs. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Congrats on your CW, nice pair...

I got mine two years ago and love it especially after I upgraded the B2 crossover from Bob Crites.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Well, I placed an order with Bob for the crossover rebuild kit and the midrange horn gaskets.  I think I'll wait on the CT-120 tweeters until after I have a chance to do some serious listening with the recapped crossovers.  I may be happy with them as is, and if not it's easy enough to open the backs up again.  

• Like 2

Well, I placed an order with Bob for the crossover rebuild kit and the midrange horn gaskets.  I think I'll wait on the CT-120 tweeters until after I have a chance to do some serious listening with the recapped crossovers.  I may be happy with them as is, and if not it's easy enough to open the backs up again.

Easy does it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update, now that I've had these for a month or so.  I ended up rebuilding the B2 crossovers with the Crites kit.  I think it cleaned up the sound a bit, and I feel good that they're now performing as they did new.  I also replaced the gaskets on the midrange drivers, although the old ones seemed fine.  I elected to wait on making a tweeter change.  Instead, I decided to try the outboard tweeters I built to use with my Omega single driver speakers.  They use a Vifa ring radiator, so that there's no directionality to speak of.  They also incorporate oil filled caps to dial the crossover frequency (currently at 4000 Hz) and a pot so that I can adjust the level.  I have them set so they just fill in the top end, and add a little "shimmer".  I can honestly say that I feel no need for more/different treble as they are now.

I am driving the CW's with a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, which is 100W of tube goodness (KT120's).  Talk about headroom!  The combo sounds great, with both lower-level jazz or "in your face" funk or rock.  I have the CW's placed close to the side walls and about 15" from the back wall (to the back of the speaker).  I had them out a bit more, and was getting some bass boom, which I assumed was from a room node.  Moving them back several issues really tightened the bass up.  First time I've run into that issue in my listening room, and I've had a lot of speakers run through there.  

Anyway, I'm really happy with the system right now.  The Cornwall's rock, and also look great in my room (IMO).  Best $600 I ever spent on audio equipment, I'm pretty sure!  Here's a shot of the front wall as it is currently.

Tom

image.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mkane said:

tlarwa, your user name looked familiar and I was expecting to see Bottlehead amps driving your Cornwalls.

I've had a bunch of amps roll through the room the last couple years!  And while I like this Rogue so far, I'm not going to tattoo it's name on my forearm quite yet...