LaScalas for Sale

nivroc

Hey Kids,

I just found some LaScalas for sale nearby:

http://tuscaloosa.craigslist.org/ele/5694696597.html

Opinions?  They look a little weathered to me for the price, but I figured I'd get your input before going to see them.  Also, not sure about the motorboards and the side of one of them, where it looks like there are seams in the wood.

It's amazing what a bucket of Duratex can do with a speaker like that:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156591-beater-la-scalas-are-done/

IMG_1525 (Large).JPG

Assuming they work and everything is there, I'd offer the guy $750 cash and buy a bucket of Duratex and a couple Klipsch logos for a total spend of under $100. Then you would have some $1,200 or higher speakers.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 5

It's amazing what a bucket of Duratex can do with a speaker like that:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156591-beater-la-scalas-are-done/

IMG_1525 (Large).JPG

Assuming they work and everything is there, I'd offer the guy $750 cash and buy a bucket of Duratex and a couple Klipsch logos for a total spend of under $100. Then you would have some $1,200 or higher speakers.

I will certainly second that, since this is the pair that I did...wow, looking back on this, it's almost hard to believe I actually accomplished it......A lot of work, but very rewarding.    I still have them, and they sound fantastic.

• Like 2

Those are not too bad.  Price is a little high for the condition, IMO.  You could certainly make those gorgeous!  The seams you mentioned are normal and will be found on most all La Scala's.  There is some veneer chipping that will require attention.  A full sand, some putty, stain of choice (or not) and some polyurethane.  Those are diamonds in the rough. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 3

Now, back to the speakers in question.....I don't know how good of a woodworker you are, or if you might have a friend or two that is skilled, but those look really close to being rehabbed "naturally", meaning, sanding them down, putting on some wood filler in the chipped areas, and then giving them a medium stain, rather than covering with Duratex.  Some of the grain patterns are really nice.....Just be sure to check them out closely for any moisture damage, delamination, etc.  Absolutely turn them over and check the doghouse.  Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from the folks here.  Take your time, and your patience will pay off.

• Like 2

Those are not too bad.  Price is a little high for the condition, IMO.  You could certainly make those gorgeous!  The seams you mentioned are normal and will be found on most all La Scala's.  There is some veneer chipping that will require attention.  A full sand, some putty, stain of choice (or not) and some polyurethane.  Those are diamonds in the rough. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

^^^^Great minds think alike....^^^^

• Like 1

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Thanks for the info about the seams - that was one of my main concerns.  

$750 was what I was thinking too - that's what I'll offer.

I'll let y'all know what happens.  Thanks for all your input - you've been VERY helpful!

• Like 3

I'd make sure the internals are all intact and functioning. If he was driving them with that MacroTech, they were exposed to far more than 100 watts.

I'm down near Montgomery. If you pick them up and need some tips on re-veneering, let me know. Did some Heresies not long ago and own a pair of La Scalas as well.

• Like 2

Really?   $750 seems a little high based on what they look like.    He will probably call you back when they don't sell, your offer was more than fair.

Agreed, my Cornwalls look way better than those LS's !!!! $750 is a bit much in my opinion (considering the condition). 

• Like 2

I'd make sure the internals are all intact and functioning. If he was driving them with that MacroTech, they were exposed to far more than 100 watts.

I'm down near Montgomery. If you pick them up and need some tips on re-veneering, let me know. Did some Heresies not long ago and own a pair of La Scalas as well.

Much obliged, neighbor!

• Like 1

Patch, and finish, Duratex or veneer in some cool exotic wood is what these have needed since they were made. They are still litarally raw birch but now with 30 years of grime soaked into the wood. I wonder if there is a way to clean that soaked in crud from the wood without using water.

Did anybody notice the little baggy on the back of one of them that looked like it had screws in it.

As Matt says, diamonds in the rough. $800 isn't gonna hurt ya. How often do these come up for sale where you live?

The little baggy looks like a PWK badge is inside it.  

If he doesn't sell these in a week or so, I may offer him a little more.  He's really pushing to bundle the speakers/amp/preamp too.  

I've noticed in the last couple of months the larger Heritage series speakers seem to be kind of rare around these parts, but I'm not in any hurry for them.  I'm still happy using my Heresys as training wheels for now.  Just keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal, since I don't have a lot of funds to spend at the moment.

Patch, and finish, Duratex or veneer in some cool exotic wood is what these have needed since they were made. They are still litarally raw birch but now with 30 years of grime soaked into the wood. I wonder if there is a way to clean that soaked in crud from the wood without using water.

Did anybody notice the little baggy on the back of one of them that looked like it had screws in it.

As Matt says, diamonds in the rough. $800 isn't gonna hurt ya. How often do these come up for sale where you live?

Don't see them very often here in Alabama. Here in Montgomery, it's extremely slim pickings for any vintage gear. Birmingham and North, it gets better.

• Like 1

Stay in contact with him. He may reconsider after they have been around for a while (if they last). They do have lots of potential. Don't spend more than you can currently afford BUT don't let $50 (+/-) keep you from getting these or any other LS you may find. There is no time like the present to start listening to these wonderful speakers. The Heresy's will hold you over until then but be prepared to wish you had upgraded sooner.

• Like 1