Fluttery sub-harmonic tones

hydro_pyro

You said the sub has always done this fluttery sound.  Bad driver or bad amp.  If this only occurred when push things near the limit, cuffing would be the culprit from the port.  This is an older sub and has seen it's happy days.  Time for a new sub.  This is not room modes, phase  or any other room related issue.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

When I heard the sub doing this at close range, it turned out to be the out-of-phase modes from the second poorly-placed sub that was causing the flutter.  I had another sub in my kitchen for my "B" speakers.  Once I moved the living room sub to the near-field position behind the couch (which also turned out making the rest of the room sound better), I discovered that the bass now freely radiates into the kitchen where it didn't before.  I was able to turn down the kitchen sub to almost nothing.  And without the interaction between these two cranked-up poorly-placed subs, most of the flutter has been eliminated.  The location of my main tower speakers is s horrible place for bass tones to originate.  With my subs and mains crossed-over at 40 or 60 Hz, the flutter is still there because the towers are causing it.  With it set at 80 Hz and fronts on "small", the sub (with better placement now) is handling all of the lower bass, and the whole room sounds better. Only a few certain bass notes have any noticeable flutter, due to having inconvenient wavelengths that don't agree with a certain dimension of the room's shape.  Music, movies, everything sounds better now. 

• Like 1

That's awesome news! Sometimes experimentation is the only way to solve these problems. If there were a quick fix I'm sure there would be a sticky in the HT or sub forum. Sub crawl does seem to be about the only thing that is common in problem solving. The rest is just guess work and experimentation.