Finding a good receiver for Klipsch speakers

Fallenangel

I also keep forgetting to ask. Do I need an amplifier as well as a receiver? How much better sounding does an amplifier really make compared to just a receiver with good WPC and good speakers? The receiver I might get, the Onkyo tx-nr747 has pre-outs so I should be able to add one later if I needed one. And does bi-amplifying make it sound different compared to just adding an amplifier that plugs in?

I also, down the road, might get a roll down screen with a projector, so having all the extra plugs in the back panel will really help. I see too many with hardly any extra plugs.

The receiver I might get, the Onkyo tx-nr747 has pre-outs so I should be able to add one later if I needed one.

You said it right there.  Give it a good demo with a bunch of high action(dynamics) movies and then decide.  I am a huge proponent for outboard amplification and most likely will never do without one.  My Onkyo TX-SR705 which is the 2007 model of your 727, specs at 100w/ch@8ohms in stereo and does a great job by itself in my bedroom RVX-42 system but not so good in my larger family room with my RF-63 system.  Separates made a huge difference in my over 5000ft3 family room/kitchen/nook.

Bill

• Like 1

Let's discuss the Onkyo TX-NR747

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR747&class=Receiver

Disclaimer:  I have the Onkyo TX-NR717 which is an older model in a similar $500 price range.  My remote controller is exactly the same as the 747.

+++

I'd like to weed through the confusing sales jargon and get to the essentials.

Traditional specs: The 737 is a 7.2 AVR with 110 wpc to 2 channels, the same as my 717.  The 170 wpc for  one channel spec should be totally ignored since there is no way you can even run one channel at a time.  There are no pre-outs for running an external amp.

It can run 2 subs directly from the AVR, both signals are exactly the same as if you had a single output and run a splitter.  This is plenty of great sounding power, no external amp is needed to run your Klipsch setup.  It looks like you can bi-amp your L/R only, the same as my 717.  Bi-amping yields no audible improvement, I tried it.

The sound quality is great and there are a LOT of electronic features which can color the sound.  This includes Stereo, All Channels Stereo, Mono, Pure Audio (no electronic enhancements), Neo-6, Dolby D, and more.

The THX Certified is NOT a big deal.  You might not even like the THX sound. I never run it.

The room correction system is called 2015 AccuEQ.  This is a basic room correction and will do a good job especially for a living room.  If you had a dedicated theater room with multiple seats you would want a higher level of room correction with multiple measuring points.  My 717 uses Audyssey which has 3 measuring points, the more expensive versions use 8 measuring points, the lowest basic version uses only one.

AccuEQ conducts two measurements- one to set the level, distance and crossover for ALL speakers, including the subwoofer, and a second measurement to eliminate standing waves.

Atmos Specs:  I would be very careful here to make sure the 747 will give you what you want, the sales info is confusing.  This is where we need somebody with experience in Atmos to offer advice.  I am not an authority, I only know what I have read.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-atmos-home-theater-101

Atmos comes in two basic flavors, the 747 is limited to the one nobody seems to like.  It is 5.1.2, which means 5 regular speakers L/C/R + surrounds, then 1 subwoofer, the last number means two Atmos speakers which bounce off the ceiling.  I am not an Atmos person, but from discussions I have read most users find that to NOT be a good implementation and recommend FOUR Atmos speakers to get the full immersive effect.

CONCLUSION:  The Onk is an excellent choice in the $500 price range and is a very good AVR that will drive your Klipsch speakers fine in 5.1 setup with quality sound, lots of worthwhile features and plenty of power.  The Onk may not be a good AVR for Atmos providing only the very lowest level of Atmos.

Edited by wvu80

To WVU80.

I'm not getting Atmos speakers. Just the regular reference premiere speakers. And the Onkyo 747 is 7.2 channel, not 5.1.2. Having a receiver that is Atmos ready is nice, in case I want to upgrade later, same with having 7 channels instead of 5. So basically what I need in a receiver is this.

-7.2 channel. (In case I upgrade)

-Dolby atmos ready. (In case I upgrade)

-THX or Audyssey. (Not sure which one is better to have)

-Wi-fi and bluetooth.

-HDMI ports.

-Lots of other inputs for all the other games and possible projector.

-And some watts that are a little over the wattage of the speakers, so they are not underpowered.

And hopefully keep it under a grand. I think I should be able to find a really nice receiver that fits exactly what I need.

OK to everything else in your post, it looks good and I think the Onk 747 will do a good job for you.  As others have said, there are other AVR's you might want to consider.  Since I bought my Onk 717 in 2013 I have not kept on my research on other models.  There are other good AVR's besides the Onk.

-THX or Audyssey. (Not sure which one is better to have)

You might want to do some research here as those are two different concepts.  They are NOT "either/or" and you can have both.  Audyssey is room correction, THX is simply an industry standard the AVR may meet.

Room Correction Audyssey (licensed to various companies, but  is not used in the Onk's anymore), AccuEQ is Onk's new version of Audyssey.  YPAO is proprietary used by Yamaha, Pioneer uses MCACC, and there are others.  The AVR comes with a microphone and measures the speaker distance for all speakers, room ambiance and certain other things to optimize the speakers sound at the main listening position.

THX is an audio standard for recording and playback. If your AVR is THX certified it means it meets the standards for playback set by THX.

bild46.jpg

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Alright everyone, seriously confused and bewildered!!

I want to upgrade my music-only system now that I have a house big enough to have surround upstairs for movies.

I have an older Denon AVR1000 receiver that I love but think I will move upstairs for the surround and get a 2.1 for music (primarily LPs)

Not a lot of options without going separates route and expense seems silly 

Thought I was sold on Klipsch Forte iii with the reviews I read but the size makes my wife shudder.  Was reading in here about RP280-F and size more reasonable and I like the price better too.  (Considered Logan ESLX and B&W 720 but they aren't best for my rock ear (ACDC, Rush, Triumph) I don't believe and the Logan's sweet spot seems small)

So.....Can I go wrong with the Fortes?  Suggestions on 2.1 receiver to drive them?  Are the 280Fs a good alternative?

Also, can I just add a bigger amp through the preamp out on the Denon AVR1000?

putting together a new system.

Ive owned the forte and forte ll speakers and over them however this time going with the full AV setup which put the forte lll out of my budget.

I ordered a pair of RP280fa for front speakers planning on the RP280 for center speaker and considering the RP600m for rear speakers.

any comments/suggestions welcome, waiting on cyber Monday and black Friday for purchasing rest of the system.

The reason for post is receiver for systemI am pretty much sold on Denon and looking at the AVRx3600H. while researching  and looking at their AVR 4300H I heard comments about too much receiver for small room. Could that be an issue I have to deal with. The size of the room could easily change in the future and stepping down would lose features that come on the receiver. Should I be concerned with too much receiver?

About a month ago, I came to these forums with the same questions you have now. I took my time, and found answers to a lot of questions that I didn't even know I had. I finally made the plunge and went with the Reference Premiere line for my 5.1 setup.

RP-8000f  

RP-504C

RP-660M 

HSU VTF-3 MK5 sub 

I chose the Marantz SR7012 receiver, as my family watches a lot of movies, I play a bit of PS4, and we both listen to music regularly. It seemed to fit the bill for both movies and music, and had the features I wanted, such as bluetooth. I had found a lot of posts that recommended looking at refurbished receivers from accessories4less. I was able to pick up the sr7012 for $1,000, and couldn't be happier with my decision. I'm still breaking my system in and playing with different crossovers, sub placements, etc. As previous posters have mentioned, start with quality components and build your system piece by piece if you must. You will thank yourself in the end. Even if you chose all of your dream components, you may still find something you want to update or change down the road for one reason or another. For me, I'm realizing I like tighter, cleaner bass and possibly should've went with multiple sealed subs, or maybe just need a better location for it. Either way, enjoy this expensive hobby!

To answer Fish.

My main reason for all of this setup is movies. I love movies. I have about 1,000 DVD's and I would love to watch them in my front room sounding like a movie theater. Or as close as I can get it. But finding a receiver with Bluetooth would be nice so I have the option to listen to music as well. I am going with Klipsch speakers because they have the reputation of being really good, nice sounding speakers.

My main question out of all of this, was if I needed a receiver with the same WPC as the speakers, or if it needed to be higher, and if so, then how high was too high. I don't want to get nice speakers and risk blowing them. I don't EVER plan on blasting my system, be it with a movie or music. I just don't do that.

I am also having some trouble figuring out if a receiver with Audyssey is as good or better than a receiver that is THX certified. So far I have read that having Audyssey is better than having THX. I think I have finally found a good receiver for what I need. The Onkyo TX-NR747. It has 175wpc and I can get it for $487. It is THX certified and has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.  The main speakers I want, Klipsch RP-260f have 125/500 watts. I thing the receiver will make them sound really good and it's not underpowered so I don't have to worry about damaging them. And it has a lot of connections on the back, HDMI for the Blu-ray and all the other connections so I can hook up all my old game systems, ie, Nintendo, Super NES, Sega, Nintendo 64, Playstation. Plus it is a 7.2 channel, so I have the option later to add more speakers if I want to.

But even after all this, I'm still going to do more research to see if I can find an even better receiver. I'm not in a hurry to just get whatever I can and through a system together. I want this system to last AND sound awesome!

I think you're a little misinformed. That receiver isn't 175watts per channel. Most ratings are for one or two channels driven. If that is 2 channels that means when you're listening to anything in stereo that's the power rating. Most receivers have one power amp. It distributes based on the needs of function. So even when your watching a movie let's say 5.1 audio your maybe getting 80-100 Watts of power per channel. Realistically that's in heavy scenes of audio. When you add more speakers that power rating drops even more. That receiver is a 7.2 meaning 7 speakers and 2 subs. I believe it supports Amos which also means it can be used in a 5.2.2 setup. 5 speakers, 2 subs and 2 Atmos speakers.
With that being said you shouldn't be concerned with the power rating as most receivers with in their respective classes share similar power ratings. 125 Watts vs 100W isn't going to give you any noticable difference. Let's look at the Denon 3500vs4500. The power rating is a 25w difference. You would never notice the difference in terms of power. But the 4500 has extra on board processing that produces a cleaner more robust sound. If you move up to the 6500 it's kind of the same.... Very minimal increase in power but better sound reproduction and more channels.
You need to test a couple receivers from different brands to find which sounds best to you as each brand has different sound signatures. Once you pick a brand you need to decide what features you need/ or may want in the future.
My main point in all this is ignore power ratings. It's not what's going to make your speakers sound better unless you have really hard to drive speakers, which you don't.... They're Klipsch. I would however get a receiver with preouts just to eliminate buyers remorse. At least you have the option to add amps later.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk