FRANKENSTEIN is Caught

richieb

So as my wife and I frequently visit friends in Wichita it seems all the local talk was folks on the lookout for Frankenstein. I suited up and with help from Woody, he has been found, captured and relocated. Resting safely from the publics prying eyes he is performing as expected and then some. But dont cross this guy he Will take your head off at a moments notice. But he is purring at the moment. Its already becoming difficult keeping Frankenstein and the KHorns seperated. I see a family fued in the future. 

Thanks to Woody for assisiting in the capture and relocation of the mythical beast. But Frankenstein was doing well at Woody's, beautiful digs. 

post-12470-0-07540000-1469467752_thumb.j

post-12470-0-83420000-1469467775_thumb.j

post-12470-0-34660000-1469467797_thumb.j

• Like 4

I now have two Frankensteins as my KHorns have Dave Harris Elliptrac horns and ALK extreme slopes. My only comparison to a stock KHorn was in the listening room at Hope where I had a very poor seating position and the electronics were mid- grade at best. I found those very forward and a bit harsh.

My KHorns are really smooth, very well blended top to bottom. As you see in the photo for comparison the EAW horn atop the KP is much larger than the Elliptrac, the RB75 you see next to it will fit lengthways in the horn opening. It's much bigger than a 510, much smaller than a 402. A happy medium I guess. And the two inch B&C driver is much bigger than the stock K55 with the Elliptrac.

Three way vs. two way. The Frank is less forgiving, livelier, sounds more like live music, more revealing. I was concerned the ported twin 15's would not give the tight horn loaded bass I like but that is not an issue. And even with 4 15's bass is not over done. I am having additional Klipsch certified ears over next week for a critique but they seem well balanced to me. I think the Crites networks perform well.

Now this will raise some eyebrows but the Frankensteins have more of a RB75/subwoofer signature than a KHorn. Now I'm talking RB's on massive doses of steroids but that is the signature. Possibly both being ported two ways, both overly large compression drivers and horns equal to the mid/bass drivers?

They are very efficient easily loud enough on 2a3 monoblocks. And way plenty on both EL84 and KT66 both single ended. Next up will be a 50 watt gain close chip amp. Kinda looking forward to that.

I'm quite sure chitty electronics will be unpleasant, crappy SS I'm sure will take your head off.

Very revealing to the source; bare thread, thin recordings are indeed bare. Well produced and balanced are depicted as such.

So far so good --

Will be following this for sure, as I have the pieces and parts for a build like this and your impressions are important for sure.  Strange, but I thought the K Horns in hope sounded brilliant, but I was front and center for the demo.  Heck, Tom is still talking about them and desperately wants a pair to go in the addition he's building.

Another day another amp. Hooked in the Audio Sector gain clone using the LM3875 chip. This being run right after the Wright Sound 2a3 monos. As much as I like the Wrights on KHorn and RB75 I'm not sure it's the best match for Frankenstein. The Audio Sector sounds more balanced top to bottom than the 2a3. The 2a3 being leaner, a little too much from the big horn and not quite enough bass. And again as much as I like the 2a3 I think the Dennis Had KT66/88 single ended might be the better match for Frankie, again more balance from top to bottom. Both the KP450 and the BC 75 are rated at 8ohms which is where the Sector and Had play and where I set the Wrights. I may try the Wrights at 4ohms to see if that gives something to the equation.