Harman/Kardon 430 Twin Recap List

Hey Folks

I just joined here, as there seems to be a lot of interest in HK receivers. I'm also a big fan of Klipsch speakers, although I don't currently own any, I have before and will again!

I was visiting a friend in the Southern half of the province, drinking some beers and enjoying the warm weather. We ended up in the garage, and I spyed a receiver sitting on a shelf. Long story short, it came home with me for nothing more than a promise that I'd give it a good home. I had flown down, so I had to ship it back to myself, and its currently en route.

In anticipation, I decided to put together a capacitor list. I couldn't find one anywhere, and this is my first time creating my own. I want to go with the best quality components with this one, while maintaining its warm tone, so as a starting point I picked Nichicon Fine Golds where possible, with some KAs and KTs and 2 WIMA films mixed in. Once I have the unit in hand I will cross-check the values before ordering. I also didn't see on the service manual any indication of low noise caps, so when I will check if any of the originals were low noise and adjust accordingly.

Are there any other parts I should order from Mouser while I'm at it? Any that I should swap out for lower price caps like UPW's? The WIMA films I have listed are backordered, so a substitution there would be appreciated. 

I wasn't able to find a cap list anywhere, so if I can get this one into good shape, hopefully it will be useful for others in the future. 

Heres a link to a google docs spreadsheet, same info below as well. Sorry for the formatting. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HO7C0mrA5YT0n5td4uHxGZl75Kv9g2u5TJ2yuix7Eus/edit?usp=sharing

Location Capacitance Volts Quantity Part #
Main Amp, Tone Preamp C401, 402, 517, 518 47uf 16 4 UFG1C470MEM
Main Amp C405, 406 220uf 16 2 UFG1C221MPM
Main Amp C407, 408 470uf 16 2 UFG1C471MPM
Equalizer Amp, Tone Preamp C701, 702, 503, 504 10uf 16 4 UKT1C100MDD
Equalizer Amp C705, 706 47uf 10 2 UFG1A470MDM
Equalizer Amp C711, 712 0.47uf 35 2 MKS2B034701B00KI00
Equalizer Amp C717,718 100uf 25 2 UFG1E101MPM
Tone Preamp C505, 506 22uf 10 2 UKA1A220MDD1TD
Tone Preamp C513, 514 2.2uf 50 2 UFG1H2R2MDM1TD
Rectifier C1, 15 1000uf 35 2 UFG1V102MHM
Rectifier C2, 4 2200uf 35 2 UFG1V222MHM
Rectifier C3 470uf 25 1 UFG1E471MHM
Main Filter Caps 4700uf 100 4 P10648-ND

Edited by Pat Gidley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome.  Thanks for the info.  I would highly recommend going over to the AudioKarma forum for lots of info on your receiver, parts, etc.  There are a number of folks over there that have recapped and restored many of the 430's and 730's.  These are somewhat lesser known jewels in the vintage receiver world, and are stellar performers.  Enjoy.

Hi and welcome.  Thanks for the info.  I would highly recommend going over to the AudioKarma forum for lots of info on your receiver, parts, etc.  There are a number of folks over there that have recapped and restored many of the 430's and 730's.  These are somewhat lesser known jewels in the vintage receiver world, and are stellar performers.  Enjoy.

Thanks, glad to be here. I cross-posted over at AK, but haven't gotten any takers yet. I learned a ton over there when I was restoring my father-in-laws SX-780. 

Djk posted a list a few years ago, which also listed which caps to replace for certain symptoms. I'll dig it out and post it for comparison. I've just been too lazy too ever do mine.

Bruce

This is from djk (to fix various symptoms):

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were  -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage (that's fine) and don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's handy. As a note, I'm not absolutely sure I'm going to recap it. At least not right away, as I want to be able to compare the sound before and after. Once I get in there and do a thorough cleaning I'll have a better sense of whether the caps are looking worse for wear.

My experience with my Pioneer SX—780 is that it did make a difference in tone, most notable in a seemingly wider range of frequencies, and stronger low end. That, or placebo effect. Either way it was a success.

Pat

I have two, with one of them on loan to my younger son. The one I have at home has the scratchy volume on turn on. I think the one my son has may be doing the same thing but he has it in storage. I should get it back while he isn't using it... :dry: ... and get all the caps replaced and checked. Mine also needs some light bulbs replaced.

Bruce

When the coupling caps get leaky on these old receivers, the controls will be scratchy when first turned on, and cleaning will not seem to help (for long).

Replace ALL the small electrolytics (I suggest Panasonic from Digi-Key rather than from Mouser), then clean the controls.

While you are in there I would suggest tacking a small film bypass cap across these same electrolytics, I use values in the range of 0.033µF~0.1µF, it adds a bit of detail in the HF, is inexpensive, and is reversible (if you don't like what it does).

• Like 1

Had some time to pull the top off and have a good look. 

First off, its very clean inside. No cigarettes or dust that I can find. Everything looks original. 

2 of the 3 amp fuses were blown under the top cover. The two in the bottom are fine, and the two in the back. This thing has a lot of fuses!

Replaced the blown fuses and fired it up on the dim bulb tester. All good!

Rigged it up to my Advents. Scratchy volume, and sound only out of the right channel. It looks like it has been dropped at some point, theres a good dent on the left side. I'll straighten that out. 

IMG_20160728_192049_zpsqkiacaqj.jpg

IMG_20160728_192119_zpsceddz2zf.jpg

IMG_20160728_192110_zpsapjmrreu.jpg

The caps APPEAR to be in really good condition, so this weekend I'll give it a nice thorough Deoxit bath and see if that bad channel and scratchy volume can be sorted out. I don't see any caps that look to be low noise, they're all just grey ELNA's, and some green ceramics. 

Short term plan is to set this up in our bedroom with a pair of Paradigm monitors that I have kicking around. Longer term, I'd like to pair it with some Dynaco A25s or similar smaller speaker (suggestions?). 

So, I gave the old beast a thorough Deoxit bath, and what do you know! It works flawlessly. All bulbs are working, etc. Does anyone know a good way to get rid of that nasty dent on the left side of the faceplate?

The tone of this thing is really interesting. I had it hooked to my OLA's, and at moderate volume it really opens up. The contour button gives a really strong scoop to the tone, stronger than the loudness switch on my Pioneer. 

I think I may hold off on the recap job until winter rolls around. That'll give me time to get some good listening in, so that I can compare and contrast the difference in tone. There aren't a whole lot of caps in there, so I may go whole-hog and replace the green ones (what are those, polyester?) with WIMAs. 

• 2 years later...

Thanks Tarheel!  Yeah I'm trying to figure out what to replace, and with what types and such.  Too much info!  Everything is in little bits and pieces, I'm starting to get it figured out I think.  Excited to get my new KG-4s sounding great.  

Anyone else done an HK430?  Any insights on what you used and ended up replacing?

• Like 1

Do you have the service manual for the 430?

Once again, from Dennis Kleitsch (may he rest in peace):

When the coupling caps get leaky on these old receivers, the controls will be scratchy when first turned on, and cleaning will not seem to help (for long).

Replace ALL the small electrolytics (I suggest Panasonic from Digi-Key rather than from Mouser), then clean the controls.

While you are in there I would suggest tacking a small film bypass cap across these same electrolytics, I use values in the range of 0.033µF~0.1µF, it adds a bit of detail in the HF, is inexpensive, and is reversible (if you don't like what it does).

his post from earlier  (to fix various symptoms):

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were  -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage (that's fine) and don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thought I would update here, as I never did post results. 

I ended up doing a full recap using ELNA caps. I will take some photos and post my parts list here. Results were excellent - aside from a stubborn pot that doesn't want to clear up with deoxit, the unit works flawlessly and sounds great. 

• Like 1