ProMedia 2.1 Power Up Problem

My ProMedia 2.1 system sometimes works fine.  Other times when I power it up, it doesn't fully get there.  In this case, the power indicator light doesn't come on and there is light crackling/noise that is not affected by the volume knob.  Occasionally, the system overcomes its power up problem and finally kicks in, usually with a good low end pop.  Again, this is not all the time, just occasionally.  When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it's pretty stubborn and won't power up until its ready.  Thoughts?

Don't power it down.

It sounds like it's dying.  You might delay it's total demise by leaving it powered on all the time.

When I first got mine, I asked Klipsch about turning it off.  They advised against it.  The said at idle it uses as much energy as a nightlight.

Edited by DizRotus

Those amps are known for dying. Henry Koch is an awesome guy who rebuild these amps. You could buy a refurbished one from him, or send yours out to be fixed. I can't remember prices, but he it's pretty quick to return emails. htkclk@juno.com

• Like 1

Oh yeah, never ever turn it off. This speaker system is designed to be on 24/7. That's why the power switch is in an inconvenient location for turning it on and off every day.

So, it's designed to be unboxed, powered on, and left on 24/7.

Edited by TwoCables

• 2 months later...

I have read on multiple threads that Promedia 2.1 (one that I own myself) does not like to be switched-off. I would be very interested to see the reasoning behind this? Why is it that the system "doesn't like to be switched off" and is it a Klipsch recommend that? 

Look forward to your replies.  

On 10/24/2016 at 6:38 PM, mikber said:

I have read on multiple threads that Promedia 2.1 (one that I own myself) does not like to be switched-off. I would be very interested to see the reasoning behind this? Why is it that the system "doesn't like to be switched off" and is it a Klipsch recommend that? 

Look forward to your replies.  

Because of low-quality parts. Yes, Klipsch recommends leaving the system on 24/7 (but you only find that out if you ask them, strangely enough). There's nothing wrong with doing that, and it only consumes a watt or two when there's no sound being put through it.

So, just leave it on 24/7 and enjoy a longer life out of your ProMedia 2.1 system and you can have peace of mind that you're not killing it.