Never turn the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system off! Just leave it on 24/7.

If you have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system, then never turn it off. It's designed to be on 24/7. So, it's designed to be unboxed, powered on, and left on 24/7. That's why the power switch is in an inconvenient location for turning it on and off every day. Turning it on and off every day is what kills these speaker systems.

I would even go as far as saying this: if you have a speaker system that has an inconvenient way to turn it off, then that likely means you should never turn it off. Are you worried about idle power consumption? Don't. It's not more than a couple of watts.

What that tells me is that the equipment is very poorly designed. My 4.1 Klipsch Computer speakers have been  turned on and off every day since I bought them as all my computers. So what that means is the first power failure you have the speakers are junk.

JJK

Klipsch recommends leaving them on, as power on/off cycles are harder on them than just leaving them on. That is not the same as suggesting they can't be turned off, or that they're toast if the power shuts off, it merely means that turning them on and off does them no favors. Always on is better for the long-term life.

Klipsch recommends leaving them on, as power on/off cycles are harder on them than just leaving them on. That is not the same as suggesting they can't be turned off, or that they're toast if the power shuts off, it merely means that turning them on and off does them no favors. Always on is better for the long-term life.

Exactly. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Katzenfutter said:

Means "always leave them on" that they are really on (green light) or can I "turn them off" by turn down the volume until the red light is visible?

greetings

Oh wait.... the new ones don't have a power switch on the back of the subwoofer.

When the light turns red, do you hear a little sound like the speaker system turned off?

22 hours ago, Katzenfutter said:

Yes, i hear a little "klack" at the Subwoofer as soon as the red light is visible...

When i switch them on again, there is also a litte "klack" coming from the subwoofer as soon as the light turn's green again.

Interesting. Personally, I would just leave it on 24/7 because the system will likely last longer that way. It only consumes a couple of watts while it's doing nothing, and as you can hear, the on/off cycle isn't exactly gentle on the system. I think that's why some people experience a premature death with this system; they turn it on and off every single day.

8 hours ago, Katzenfutter said:

When i leave them on 24/7 (on low volume) could the subwoofer or the integrated amp getting too hot?

I recently found a thread that the Subwoofer/Amp from the  Promedia 2.1 is getting very hot...?

No, because it's not doing anything. The only way for it to get super hot is if you had it set to a high volume and were playing a solid tone 24/7.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Red light/Green light?? My 2.1 only has one color AFAK. I leave it on all the time but just cover the light with a small piece of electrical tape to keep from lighting up the room at night.

Do you have the older one that has the power switch on the amp and speaker wires that plug into the satellites? That may be the difference; I think the new model is powered on and off by the control pod. I'm not sure though.

3 minutes ago, TwoCables said:

Do you have the older one that has the power switch on the amp and speaker wires that plug into the satellites? That may be the difference; I think the new model is powered on and off by the control pod. I'm not sure though.

I have had mine for about 6 or 7-years and the switch is on the Back? So I assume the sets that have the power switch on the control pod use red as stand by and green for on.

For that matter mine have only been turned off 5 or 6 times so far.