Rear Surrounds

JohnA

I'm using Heresies as my rear corner surrounds, each about seated ear level, sitting on one of my subs.  This room has little space for 7.x rear speakers.  Sometimes I think the rear spatial effects are too weak, maybe because the Heresies are too directional? 

I don't think I have ever listened to a system using wide dispersion surrounds and I'm not sure where I might hear them closer than 100+ miles.  How well do they work?  Which ones would mate with my Heritage system the best? 

I have a small room with a wall directly behind the couch and have problems with this as well. It kind of makes surround sound gimicky when you just hear a speaker blast in your ear instead of an enveloping sound field. What I did that helped was to bring the surround speakers out from the back wall and have them on each side of the couch next to the seating position. Then point the Heresys toward the back wall so the sound waves bounce off the wall back to the seating position. Make sure you set your AVR speaker distance to account for the distance from the speaker to the wall then also the wall to your ears. This helps disperse the sound waves and creates a more immersive effect in my opinion. Its great for movies but if you listen to 5 channel music it sounds really bad so keep that in mind if you want to try it.

You can consider just doing a 7.X using FH or FW speakers and forget the rears.  I've done that for the past several years and it was great.  Recently I installed in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.  These are great alternatives for limited or difficult space.  They sound just as good as the other speakers in the system.  A lot of people say in-wall/in-ceiling is not as good but, that is not my impression.

I find the surrounds sound best a bit above and slightly behind the listening position. I have both the bipoles and direct firing and dont think that is the issue. It is placement of speakers seating position and distance to back wall. Chris A has cited Toole showing surrounds can be placed in front of the mlp to the sides to excellent effect. Rhats worth a try imo. I believe his setup incorporates this.

• Like 1