11.2 Front speaker suggestions

Pete H

I need to pick up some additional speakers to give 11.2 a listen so I need the wide R&L and the Upper R&L and I have a couple of questions.  First question; who's running 9.? or 11. systems and in your opinion, was it worth doing?  Do the upper fronts add more and the wides are a waste of effort?  I'm running RF7's with RC7, RS7's and RB61's in the rear.  My front wall is just shy of 15' wide and the overall room is 34' long with vaulted ceilings.  I pulled wires for upper R&L when I did the wall and they will be approx. 2.5' above the 7's but there's a soffit that I built above that area, so they will be tight up against that flat area.  I'm thinking that for dispersion, sticking with RS3's or 7's for the uppers is going to be fine but again, looking for suggestions from those who are running upper front channels.  I have loads of things that I can play with for wide L&R's, I just can't imagine that on my wall, that's going to do a whole lot.

Thanks in advance for any input.

unless you have really high ceilings or a really wide room i can't imagine either of those channels adding much to the experience. with 2.5 feet above your mains i would say highs would be a waste. and if you tv is on your short wall (15feet) and your mains are spread out a fair amount i can't imagine wides would do any good either. now if you have your stuff on the long wall then yeah i think wides could be fun. either way doesn't hurt to try any of it. especially if you already have speakers. 

You need at least 3 ft. above the Mains for FH and 6 ft to the side of the mains for FW.  One thing I've notice with a 9.X.2 system is the FH are used more with Neo X material and less with Dolby Atmos.  Surround back speakers will give you a more 3D experience. In-ceiling speakers are a good option for FH when space is a problem.

You need at least 3 ft. above the Mains for FH and 6 ft to the side of the mains for FW.  One thing I've notice with a 9.X.2 system is the FH are used more with Neo X material and less with Dolby Atmos.  Surround back speakers will give you a more 3D experience. In-ceiling speakers are a good option for FH when space is a problem.