Need Repair Advice

nivroc

Good evening everyone,

My HH Scott 222C decided to blow an output tube last night and I need some contact info for some really good repair shops.  Due to the age of the amp, I'd like to refurbish it, instead of just fixing it temporarily.  It has most, if not all of the original caps, sockets, resistors, etc. underneath, though the cans on top and the bridge rectifier have been replaced at some point.  I've read through some of the posts here that NOS Valves is a good shop and have read elsewhere that Vintage Amplifier Restoration in Hattiesburg, MS is a good one too.  I know just enough about tube amps to be dangerous, but repairing electronics is way above my pay grade.  Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I'd highly recommend nosvalves. Previous owner of my 299 had Craig rebuild it. Sounds great, and he's helped me a few times over the years with questions even though I wasn't the original customer. He was just answering a question I had about gain levels here the other day.

If I get another Scott, it's going to him for sure.

• Like 1

I'd also recommend Terry DeWick (Dewick Repairs) in Knoxville,TN. He's busy (90 day backlog) and on vacation 'til September but does excellent work and is quite reasonable. http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

A few years ago, the rectifier on my Scott 222c finally died so I took the opportunity to send it and a 350B tuner to Terry for a checkup and some upgrades. He got rid of the often problematic selenium cap and beefed up the power supply considerably, replaced the out of spec resistors and caps, added premium caps in the signal path and gain stage and modified the amp to use EL-84M tubes instead of the more expensive 7189's. The only other thing I wish I had him do was to move the bias points and adjustment screws to the top of the chassis so I could more easily access and adjust the bias (which I've never had to adjust but its a PITA to check!). 

He discussed my options, made the repairs, brought both pieces back to spec and shipped 'em back to me for just under $300 total, including a new set of Russian EL-84M tubes. Everything has worked like a charm since and I'm delighted with his work. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2016 at 7:36 AM, JBryan said:

I'd also recommend Terry DeWick (Dewick Repairs) in Knoxville,TN. He's busy (90 day backlog) and on vacation 'til September but does excellent work and is quite reasonable. http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

A few years ago, the rectifier on my Scott 222c finally died so I took the opportunity to send it and a 350B tuner to Terry for a checkup and some upgrades. He got rid of the often problematic selenium cap and beefed up the power supply considerably, replaced the out of spec resistors and caps, added premium caps in the signal path and gain stage and modified the amp to use EL-84M tubes instead of the more expensive 7189's. The only other thing I wish I had him do was to move the bias points and adjustment screws to the top of the chassis so I could more easily access and adjust the bias (which I've never had to adjust but its a PITA to check!). 

He discussed my options, made the repairs, brought both pieces back to spec and shipped 'em back to me for just under $300 total, including a new set of Russian EL-84M tubes. Everything has worked like a charm since and I'm delighted with his work. 

Terry is a great guy. But a small bit of clarification is in order. The Sovtek EL84M is a 7189 and no modifications would be required for a 222C to use them. Sovtek also makes a regular EL84...

I have sent many McIntosh pieces to Terry Dewick in the past.   Great service.  However, it will be eternity before you get it back.

If this piece were mine, it would go to Craig.